Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089745 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #9990 on: April 05, 2014, 07:42:20 pm »

Interestingly enough, whenever I see people getting camped in a spawn I never see them pull back and grab vehicles from the next base in the lattice, they always just camp in the spawn room and wait to lose the facility. I don't know how viable counter-attacking from the next lattice would be though... because nobody has ever tried it from my experience... Hmmmm.
This so much.
-_-
I mean it couldn't hurt to bring in oh, armored and aerial reinforcements when such are dominating the spawn. :X

People do this, but only at the platoon and outfit level.

Everybody gives spawn room warriors crap, but there's not much any individual can do in the face of large numbers, organization, or both.

It seems most people play on European or American servers?

Most servers are European and American, so yeah.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9991 on: April 05, 2014, 08:16:18 pm »

Interestingly enough, whenever I see people getting camped in a spawn I never see them pull back and grab vehicles from the next base in the lattice, they always just camp in the spawn room and wait to lose the facility. I don't know how viable counter-attacking from the next lattice would be though... because nobody has ever tried it from my experience... Hmmmm.
This so much.
-_-
I mean it couldn't hurt to bring in oh, armored and aerial reinforcements when such are dominating the spawn. :X

People do this, but only at the platoon and outfit level.

Everybody gives spawn room warriors crap, but there's not much any individual can do in the face of large numbers, organization, or both.
Yeah. The issue is, most bases take, what?, 3-5 minutes to cap once you have the control console. The little bases at least. So, if you get 10-15 people who spawn there, you then have to convince them all to redeploy, get them to the base, spawn tanks, and back to the small base in the short time you have before it flips. If you try to do it solo, you just get lit up, at least if your a solo tank driver. I don't have too much luck with planes, except for the occasional late night gal bus.

Personally, I'd think your best bet for bringing something from a different base is an ESF with rockets. Not sure how long you'll last if they have a full armor column, but you could probably shake em up. From in the base, I've found that C4, smoke, and snipers are your best bet to do anything, or a decent max push.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2 64 bit process
« Reply #9992 on: April 05, 2014, 09:44:48 pm »

It's especially baffling when an entire platoon doesn't realise they're being farmed for double experience. How do 45+ players not realise that ~40 yellow tanks with ammunition sunderers are farming them?

EDIT: This wasn't a spawn camp, it was a base camp.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9993 on: April 06, 2014, 12:00:42 am »

Crossbow is a bit meh, slow projectile speed and heavy drop mean you're not going to hit anything that isn't standing still 50 meters in front of you.
But it's so much fun to have a overconfident wraith think he can get just one more kill before going back to repair and shooting an explosive bolt into his cockpit!

...Really the only reason I have the crossbow is because I find the other sidearms underwhelming.  With a crossbow at least I can annoy armor.  Can't do much damage to anything more durable than a harrasser or wraith but it's amazing how many tanks panic and back off at full reverse pointing their gun straight up every time they see a damage indicator, no matter how insignificant the damage actually was.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:02:55 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9994 on: April 06, 2014, 03:43:02 am »

I wish they bring back the stuff what was in PS1.
Nano vehicles and hackable doors. All i remember that capping base was more interesting and more time consuming.
Now it is easy as hell and is only fun for players who play PS2 2h a week.
And i play on Miller.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9995 on: April 06, 2014, 05:10:07 am »

Yeah they need to seriously reconsider the base capture mechanics. There is simply nothing fun about it right now and usually it boils down to camping a spawn while watching a timer tick away. It's pretty much the crux of the game to, yet they are apparently content leaving it shallow and uninteresting.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9996 on: April 06, 2014, 07:11:25 am »

Base capping is fun if it gets stuck in the stage where both sides have control over some points but not others.

I play on Waterson.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9997 on: April 06, 2014, 08:54:30 am »

NC MAXs do have a mid range weapon: Slugs.
Also, sniping just takes practice.

My favorite inf. loadout is:
SAS-R
   -Suppressor
   -3.4 Aim-point
NC 6 Mag Shot
   -Suppressor
   -Flashlight

The SAS-R can one hit KO enemies in CQC with a headshot and if you miss just whip out the Mag Shot and spam. With a bit of experience you still learn the bullet drop and still snipe. Use the Mag Shot or Desperado since the Rebel and revolvers aren't fit for spamming. Also the flashlight should be used on all sidearms to deal with stalker cloaks.

Until the straight pull bolt attachment is added to live servers, I would suggest putting the flashlight on the SAS-R as no other attachment for that slot does anything useful for it. Once the straight pull attachment is in, that might change depending on what slot it goes in.

I use the same loadout as my slot 1 infiltrator loadout except I use the flashlight on the SAS-R and a Rebel in the pistol slot, with a suppressor and laser sight.

I mean when there's two liberators daltoning your spawn room and you can only hope to survive by running outside like an infiltrator.
You can't pull vehicles or MAXes then... :/

If you don't have it, save certs up for the HA AA launcher. If you use it with a few other people libs will have to leave to repair, especially if you use the launcher in conjunction with other forms of AA that can keep hitting them past the launcher's range.

I don't think spawn room warriors should get crap like they do. If leaving the spawn room results in instant death all you're doing is feeding the other side certs. It's much better to just sit inside and do the same for your team as people run past the doors. Plus you can lay down an ammo pack and hit the xp cap for it really fast, or play medic and rez the poor fellows who decide not to be a 'spawn room warrior.'

Unless your side builds a max crash or at least forms up to run towards the nearest point at close to 50/50 pop, just stay inside and make you some certs.

Either that or go to the next base down the line and set up mines if no forward enemy vehicles are there.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:04:03 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9998 on: April 06, 2014, 09:13:12 am »

If the base has been so contained that it's impossible to leave the spawn room, you shouldn't be spawning there at all. So yeah, I think the hate on spawn room warriors is justified.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9999 on: April 06, 2014, 09:28:39 am »

If the base has been so contained that it's impossible to leave the spawn room, you shouldn't be spawning there at all. So yeah, I think the hate on spawn room warriors is justified.

Cept it's a good source of XP for medics and enginners that drop ammo packs and heal/rez with impunity making it a decent source of XP.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10000 on: April 06, 2014, 09:33:15 am »

I wish they bring back the stuff what was in PS1.
Nano vehicles and hackable doors. All i remember that capping base was more interesting and more time consuming.
Now it is easy as hell and is only fun for players who play PS2 2h a week.
I have never played Planetside 1. I will however say that two bases (that I can think of) on Amerish have an interesting little mechanic. They are surrounded by a moat of hazardous chemicals which means instant death with some footbridges leading over the moat. There are two main bridges that consist mainly of an energy field, and the control console for them are located on the base side of the island. This means that in order for vehicles to get onto the main island they need to wait for infantry to capture the console thing and turn the bridge on. This makes things a bit more interesting, I feel, it's a bit like the anti-vehicle force fields except you can't gate diffuse them.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10001 on: April 06, 2014, 09:35:12 am »

The main reasons to leave in my opinion are if you want to drop mines at the next base before enemies show up and then switch to a HA with an anti-ground or AA launcher and find a nice hill, or pull a vehicle and set up between the two bases. Pulling an aircraft somewhere would be a good reason too.

If you are going to play infantry anyways and don't leave until <20s before the base caps you won't miss any potential reinforcement by your side that allow you to leave the spawn room by mass galaxy drops or an armor column rolling in, in addition to it being a source of xp.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10002 on: April 06, 2014, 11:41:01 am »

That's why you throw an ammo pack in the spawn, redeploy, and head on to the next base to throw tank mines.  Best of both worlds!

And nothing beats getting a mine kill on a loaded sundy.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10003 on: April 06, 2014, 11:52:08 am »

Crossbow is a bit meh, slow projectile speed and heavy drop mean you're not going to hit anything that isn't standing still 50 meters in front of you.
But it's so much fun to have a overconfident wraith think he can get just one more kill before going back to repair and shooting an explosive bolt into his cockpit!

...Really the only reason I have the crossbow is because I find the other sidearms underwhelming.  With a crossbow at least I can annoy armor.  Can't do much damage to anything more durable than a harrasser or wraith but it's amazing how many tanks panic and back off at full reverse pointing their gun straight up every time they see a damage indicator, no matter how insignificant the damage actually was.
We're all armor newbies. Unless we're not.

Also crossbow?
Why do other factions get crossbows and the TR is stuck with...stuff that aren't crossbows. :I

That's why you throw an ammo pack in the spawn, redeploy, and head on to the next base to throw tank mines.  Best of both worlds!

And nothing beats getting a mine kill on a loaded sundy.
Do Tank mines still work if offline (and do you get xp for it)?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10004 on: April 06, 2014, 11:54:50 am »

The crossbow is an NS weapon
Pages: 1 ... 665 666 [667] 668 669 ... 826