Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089954 times)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10620 on: June 08, 2014, 03:02:38 pm »

^Yeah that mostly.

Lattice was the death knell for strategic gameplay.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10621 on: June 15, 2014, 05:53:48 pm »

Need to mention that the Mattherson v Waterson MergerSmash is going to be this Friday!
Good luck to everyone in a participating outfit!
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: June 15, 2014, 06:31:19 pm »

I see a lot of (really good!) players suggest Flak over Nanoweave on most classes. I can see it on something like an engie, but everything else dies 10x as often to gunfire. Hell, small fights are nearly 100% small arms fire, so unless you only jump into gigantic battles I don't see how its anywhere near worth it.

Am I missing something?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10623 on: June 15, 2014, 06:39:31 pm »

Well is someone runs out of a corner guns blazing that extra several % of small arms resistance won't do you much good while the large explosion resisance will make you survive an innacurate lolpod raid or MBT HE/HEAT shell.

At least that's what i think... also in situations where lobbing HE at you is impossible you cna just swap out... altho if i were to pick one to use all the time i'd take flak.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10624 on: June 15, 2014, 07:03:01 pm »

Well is someone runs out of a corner guns blazing that extra several % of small arms resistance won't do you much good while the large explosion resisance will make you survive an innacurate lolpod raid or MBT HE/HEAT shell.

At least that's what i think... also in situations where lobbing HE at you is impossible you cna just swap out... altho if i were to pick one to use all the time i'd take flak.
I have to agree with this.

Depending on the server, you may have to deal with things like Lib rain clouds and explosive spam. Even grenades getting tossed through doors sucks, as well as the odd mine and C4 near the sundy. However, most explosive damage tends to be one shot and done, so if you can push it a bit more and survive a blast that would have almost killed you, you'll likely survive, at least for a bit longer. However bullets tend to be a shoot at a thing until it dies.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: June 15, 2014, 07:04:49 pm »

Think of it this way.

Most classes can survive four or five bullets from full health (infiltrators probably less, heavies more, maxes much more) from NC carbines that I've seen. 7.5% less damage from something that cuts off almost 25% of your health is pretty tiny, unless it's 17.5% of your health per bullet, rather than 24.125% of your health. Even then, an attack that deals 17.5% of your health is still maybe 5.7 bullets instead of 5 bullets - the difference might mean life if you're just clipped by a long range carbine attack, but otherwise it's useless.

Flak resistance is 15%, right? 15% of the enormous damage rockets do shave off a large portion of damage.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: June 15, 2014, 07:53:58 pm »

At rank 2 i have 20% resistance so i guess at max rank it cuts HE damage in half.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: June 15, 2014, 08:10:32 pm »

How effective is the nanoweave with the HA resist shield, perhaps even with a restoration kit active?

I've actually been using the grenade bandolier more than anything else. I find myself spamming nades around corners and into rooms, even throwing nades at an oncoming zerg rush can disrupt them. Plus, you may only kill one or two guys that you surprise in a crowd with a rifle, but you could blow all of them up with a grenade and other than the callout from throwing it it's quieter, and people might not even notice the callout.

I'm eager to see how things are once the servers merge. I went to play yesterday and was discouraged to see that the NC (the faction I play) was 44% world population. I decided to play anyways and noticed that there was a land grab alert going on and we had ~40% territory. Apparently our command decided to get drunk in the middle of the alert or something because by the end of it we came in last place.

It astonishes me how long it takes for people to redeploy places. Someone will tell people to go somewhere, and they just take their sweet time doing it. We'll be sitting in full galaxies at the warpgate (even though you can spawn directly into them while in flight) having a nice circle jerk or getting high or whatever it is these people are doing while the enemies are taking our bases. I wish there were more organized squads/platoons that weren't screwing around, maybe it's just a problem with the NC.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: June 15, 2014, 08:39:43 pm »

Suit slots don't stack with resist shield I'm fairly certain.

For me:
Infiltrator: Solo loadout is flak armor to resist Anti personnel mines, Nanoweave for when I'm in a group.

Heavy: Grenade bandolier to throw AV or Concussion grenades. or flak for when I use an AA launcher.

Medic: Grenade bandolier for Revive nades

Engineer: Flak armor to repair vehicles and for hiding behind maxes

Light Assault: Adrenaline pump

Mattherson has varied populations on different nights because some outfits play on other realms on the same server some days. For instance Dasanfall and Goku both play TR on the same night according to someone from Goon. On those nights TR will have a population advantage as well as some of the best players in all of PS2. I imagine the same thing happens on NC high population nights. In addition people will log out when their side is losing an alert while they or other people log into the winning realm which tends to make end of alert population more unbalanced than it should be. I've also heard that people receive notifications through a social media site as to when an alert is happening and which realm is winning, which enables them to login for easy certs. I still wish the devs had allowed only one choice of realm per server; it would have bypassed the above issues.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 09:25:08 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: June 15, 2014, 09:12:42 pm »

How effective is the nanoweave with the HA resist shield, perhaps even with a restoration kit active?

Nanoweave and Resist Shield do not stack.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10630 on: June 15, 2014, 09:29:35 pm »

I tried out NC HA the other day and their guns feel so powerful o_o blam blam blam dead. A lot faster ttk than the T9. Howover they're also terrible at long range--you can kill people at mid range, but the T9 does it better. I'm also slightly ashamed to admit that I singlehandedly cleared out a SOCA squad that was holding the top floor of a Tech Plant (the Phalanx cannon floor). :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10631 on: June 15, 2014, 09:33:27 pm »

Are you referring to any specific gun? I remember when i first got the EM6, before putting any attachments on it, I immediately went out on a killing rampage by myself. The SAW is good at long range but you have to use single shots, almost like a lower power battle rifle.

I'm still confused about the SAW S though, it looks very similar statwise to one of the other LMG's, I forget which.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10632 on: June 15, 2014, 09:39:17 pm »

The default SAW. It has a ton of recoil.

The S versions of default guns only differ in that they have lower ROF and you can attach 4 things to it.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: June 15, 2014, 09:44:47 pm »

The S version of the SAW also has lower damage but higher ROF and only a 75 round box.

I just checked, the Saw S like a GD-22s but with a worse recoil pattern, longer reload time, and costs more. Huh. It has a slighter higher capacity box but that's about it.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #10634 on: June 15, 2014, 09:52:58 pm »

Interesting. The TR's T9-S has the same damage, accuracy, ammo, mag size, and damage falloff. It reloads .5 seconds faster and has 50 less rof.

Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 826