Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1089527 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.
« Reply #10980 on: August 01, 2014, 11:33:46 am »

Everyone knows the ultimate NC heavy weapon is the Jackhammer 8)
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10981 on: August 01, 2014, 12:53:25 pm »

I love the godsaw, I shoot down fighters with it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10982 on: August 01, 2014, 03:46:26 pm »

AC-X11 = Reaper DMR with shorter barrel = NC6 Gauss SAW with smaller magazine (Broadly speaking, of course)

I prefer the EM6 over the NC6, but if you get good with the NC6 you can dominate everyone with headshots and even cripple MAXes. 200 damage weapons are fun if you can manage the recoil. I like 164 damage weapons (EM6, NC1 Gauss Rifle, AF-19 Mercenary, even the AF-4 Cyclone), they're a nice bit of compromise between stability and damage plus they 'feel' a bit more like an actual gun. 143 damage guns feel a bit like COD laser guns, which makes them good and popular especially since you can bullet hose at longer range and spray and pray up close.

Plus there's the whole shooting down ESFs things like Aseaheru mentioned. Mossies have lower health compared to the other planes so one or two people with high damage auto weapons can just shoot at it like they were AAA, let alone a whole squad doing it. I've gotten plenty of ESF kill (credits) for being one of the few people to shoot at them while they try to lolpod only to realize they have low health or panic and run into a tree.

EDIT:
I, Mono124, Ruskin and some others are starting a fresh new outfit on Emerald, TR. We decided to all go where we didn't already have characters to avoid the usual bickering. If you want in, definitely join our teamspeak- there's a link in my signature.
I've been thinking of making a TR alt, so if this happens I'd be interested. Although I don't really like having in-game voice and teamspeak voice at the same time, it gets too confusing for me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:51:29 pm by OzyTheSage »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10983 on: August 01, 2014, 05:54:22 pm »

I hate carbines.

How can you not like carbines?

They're the easiest guns to shoot.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10984 on: August 01, 2014, 06:25:27 pm »

LMGs/Assault Rifles/Sniper Rifles tear them up at range, SMGs/Shotties tear them up in CQC. There is this band of combat where they are the optimal weapon to use, but it's hard to force engagements to keep happening in that band.

Carbines aren't bad, of course - smart positioning will trump any kind of firepower advantage your opponent has, and it's not like the difference between a LMG/AR and a Carbine is all that much, but I have been phasing out my Carbines for SMGs (Cyclone!) on my Light Assault and dread having to use my carbines on my Engineer. They just don't feel punchy enough to compete up close (especially given that neither engineer nor LA have any kind of panic button and have to rely on positioning) and even the more accurate carbines (razor) feel like they only tickle my opponents in longer range combat.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10985 on: August 01, 2014, 07:15:52 pm »

I don't think that band exists, actually. Or rather I don't think the weapon role chart is one-dimensional. Yes, on the CQC-long range scale you have your shotties, SMGs, AR, and LMGs. IMO carbines don't fall somewhere in between those, they stand separately. As you said, they're all about positioning. IMO they're not short range guns, they're not mid range guns, they're not long range guns, they're shooting in the back guns. Hence why they're the primary weapon of the LA class, which is the only class able to actually utilize them effectively. On a groundpounder class they'd be useless, as evidenced by the engi. But the engi is special in other ways, his main weapon is the MAX unit he's hiding behind and his other teammates that he's keeping supplied with ammo.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10986 on: August 01, 2014, 09:57:17 pm »

Engy also has the battle rifle which is also superb for being ok at all ranges. With 2x reflex it's not so bad at close and mid range, with a 4x it's a good choice at long range, and with a 6x it can be used at very long range, though that's asking to be sniped because at that you'll be at full damage drop off.

Spoiler: ACX-11 and Razor (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: NC LMGs I've used (click to show/hide)

I have to wonder if an EM-1 with .75 ADS speed would be overpowered. Right now it's kind of weak and I can't think of another existing NC LMG that could use a buff as hefty as that. According to Vanu that defend the Orion .75 ads isn't that great an advantage so I don't think they'd have an issue adding it to a somewhat weak NC LMG. Are there any weak TR LMGs it would it be a good addition for?

On a funny note, the other day I died to an Ursa from pretty long range in a biolab. I'm so used to being killed by Orion I was already starting to complain in my mind that the Orion could headshot that accurately at long range and hit that hard despite the range when I saw the kill screen and saw it was an Ursa. That's the first time I've seen that gun in a really long time.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:34:02 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10987 on: August 01, 2014, 10:10:11 pm »

I'm so afraid of getting lolshotted by random snipers that are apparently everywhere that I'm always moving, so I always get the movement penalty...

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10988 on: August 01, 2014, 10:37:28 pm »

Same here, but after moving around a while you can tell if there is a sniper with line of fire to you by the friendly corpses or the bullet noise. Also you can move in between bursts with the SAW. You can shoot while strafing in between your 'good' bursts and then stop and start a new burst when you are stationary again. It does have 100 rounds. You just won't be accurate at all during your moving burst.

I, Mono124, Ruskin and some others are starting a fresh new outfit on Emerald, TR. We decided to all go where we didn't already have characters to avoid the usual bickering. If you want in, definitely join our teamspeak- there's a link in my signature.

Well, at least you aren't purple. TR needs the most help right now anyways so good choice.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:39:58 pm by Duuvian »

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10989 on: August 02, 2014, 02:30:14 am »

I'm also not a fan of carbines. They're too inaccurate for LAs to use (this is true for literally every weapon that isn't a shotgun) and worse than every other weapon for engineers.

I still miss jumping ADS, it was so nice to have more than one viable weapon. :'(
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10990 on: August 03, 2014, 10:53:56 am »

(EDIT: Oh yes, for those on Teamspeak who have been poking me, sorry for not responding, been a bit busy =p)

This post is more opinions on guns that nobody ever asked about, again, I just like to ramble =p

So I've made my TR alt for the Bay12 thingy, and I have to say that the early game is pretty fun when you don't have everything unlocked. I don't know if it's because it's more challenging or if you just have a lot more progression and such, but I'll be sticking with my TR guy for a while at least. The SABR was on member's sale so I picked that up and I've had success with it, still not as good at close range encounters as the NC1 but I haven't put a LAM on it so it hasn't been as good as it could be. The NC1 also still has the auto fire capabilities so you can not only single shot easily but you can auto fire easily when the situation dictates it regardless of how much you pancake. Plus the NC1 is still one of the most newb friendly guns IMO, aside from the NS-11, because of its horizontal recoil only going to the right and its high damage giving you the edge at medium ranges. The first shot recoil multiplier is much, much nicer on the SABR than the NC1 which makes two shot bursts at ranges much nicer; I wish the Guass Burst had a similar advantage because then I'd probably use it over the NC1.

I played light assault out of necessity and the TRAC-5 was simply giving me a hard time, it felt more like I was using the AF-9 but without the higher damage output, but that might've just been because I didn't use it enough to get a handle on it. Its horizontal recoil is only in one direction like the NC1, so supposedly it's the more newb friendly carbine in comparison to the NC's default.

In terms of NC assault rifles, most people swear by the Carnage AR, and while I like it I feel more comfortable with the GR-22. They are very similar guns but the Carnage AR is more for people who are good at compensating for recoil and has a nice fast reload, while the GR-22 has recoil bias only to the right but has the longest reload times out of any other NC assault rifle. The T1 Cycler is fairly similar to the Carnage AR except it doesn't boast the ADS movement speed and it has more ammo and better recoil, and if I had to pick I'd probably rather have the ADS move speed than 10 more bullets and a slower reload.

I also don't see what everyone's problem with the TX1 Repeater is, it's basically a pocket SMG for when you're pancaking. Although I still like the Desperado more, the repeater's damage per bullet -is- fairly low for my tastes. Still, I rarely pull out my pistols, I have yet to get in the habit of pulling it out when knifing someone in case I miss.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10991 on: August 03, 2014, 12:22:41 pm »

Get TAR. Who needs good ADS movement speed when you can hipfire at 50m?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #10992 on: August 03, 2014, 06:02:40 pm »

There is an 8/1 patch on the Test server.

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/pts-patch-notes-8-1.195832/

C85 Canister
The area the canister is lacking in the most is range. To increase the effective range we are making two changes. We are increasing the minimum damage and tightening the pellet spread a little. We are also changing it to use a shotgun crosshair.
Pellet spread decreased from 1 degree to 0.9 degrees (1.33 degrees to 1.1 degrees on Harasser)
Minimum damage increased from 80 to 100
Crosshair changed from standard crosshair to a shotgun crosshair.
The minimum damage change should noticeably reduce the amount of hits required against targets outside the max range (42 meters for Van, 31 meters for Harasser). For example, if you were far enough away and only landing an average of two pellets a shot, the min damage change will change that from a 7 shot kill to a 5 shot kill.

I wonder how far away it starts landing 2 pellets on average. 5 shots is a lot of shots.

I'm going to predict PPA is still the only AI secondary that will be used with any sort of frequency. It's effectiveness compared to canister at more than extreme danger close range on live is probably way too far apart to be brought really close together by such minor changes. I was hoping the canister would be able to aim up like the kobalt as well.

Repair Tool: Functionality Improvement
Repair tool targeting has been adjusted to be based off the vehicles bounding box instead of the origin. This should make the range of the repair tool more consistent regardless of where you are in relation to the vehicle and fix locations where you seem like you should be able to repair the vehicle but can’t.

Cruise Control
The vehicle version of auto-run, cruise control, should now continue to function when controller focus is no longer on the vehicle; For example when opening the map or alt tabbing.

hooray! The repair tool changes will be especially nice. It was irritating to be moving around to avoid sniper fire while repairing a sunderer and have the repair tool stop working until you pointed it back at the center. It made the Sunderer do the repair flicker so whoever was damaging the sundie knew there was a distracted engineer there, and wasted some repair heat. It will also make it easier to repair a vanguard without being ran over.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 06:07:37 pm by Duuvian »

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10993 on: August 03, 2014, 06:37:06 pm »

Cruise Control
The vehicle version of auto-run, cruise control, should now continue to function when controller focus is no longer on the vehicle; For example when opening the map or alt tabbing.
I always thought this got changed intentionally to how it currently is to avoid drivers running over softies because they were busy looking at the map/tits.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10994 on: August 04, 2014, 01:58:47 am »

PPA needs one hell of a nerf, all I see when I fight the VS are farmriders.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...
Pages: 1 ... 731 732 [733] 734 735 ... 826