Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Random Magical Effect Generator  (Read 36619 times)

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Random Magical Effect Generator
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2012, 06:27:17 pm »

No comments on the changes I spent hours and hours making? :?
They don't work for me. Recursion limit in firefox is lower than opera/chrome, which you're probably using, and it's running into that while calling the GenNumber function at some point.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2012, 06:30:08 pm »

DUMP.

Starting to work on this again, but it'd be nice to know what someone else thing about it. I've probably put more effort into this then the original creator by now.

Ok, now it should actually be finished and done, but there are more incomprehensible errors, link: http://jsbin.com/idifof/69/edit#source

I think the previous code was breaking for you because of typos. In the current code, I'm pretty sure it's breaking because you got rid of the formatting array, so it never comes up with an initial sentence. I'll see if I can come up with a fix.

Edit: Okay, here's a kludgy fix. http://jsbin.com/idifof/70/edit#html,live Output is a little grammatically hosed up, due to the recursively Mad-Libs-ian nature of the beasty. I fixed a bunch of spelling, added pound signs to the name variables, and removed my Klingon entry, plus set up colors so that the patterns weren't calling other patterns. (Polka-dotted and tie-dyed stripes are right out! >:( ) It's... interesting, to say the least.

Edit 2:

Simultaneusly Spiders and centipedes crawl all over Lord Dave 'Crusher' Smythe and napalm pours from yous left middle finger gradually, over eternity., then Cotton plants grow from all cotton in the room , but only while you are asleep., then a giant elephant made of light walks slowly by permanently., then First Cotton plants grow from all cotton in the nearest democracy, then A fissure in the earth opens and releases an army of pidgeons and finaly the feet of your family has an orgasm., then Simultaneusly the nearest statue of the nearest person comes to life and All items and clothing nearby disapear three times., then a free wish appears in front of you., then a ghostly dwarf appears out of nowhere for a few seconds and scares the nearest person., then First the lungs of your friends bleeds, then A fissure in the earth opens and releases prehistoric tiny snakes and finaly the nearest statue of the first person you see comes to life., then First A fissure in the earth opens and releases an army of nagas, then The walls bleed in a two mile radius and finaly the walls groan and crack around you., then First a pile of gold appears in front of the nearest person, then Spiders and centipedes crawl all over the entire body of you and finaly the walls groan and crack around the first person of the opposite gender that you see., then First The walls bleed in the room, then everyone in the room can read the mind of Lord Paul 'Butch' Callahan Esq. and finaly a succubus walks slowly by., then The walls bleed in a two mile radius for an hour once every a day for eternity., then First the nearest statue of you comes to life, then the legs of you ceases to exist - leaving behind a vacuum that colapses with a *pang* - and finaly mermaid pirates rule another planet.

Yeah.  :o
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:43:15 pm by Cerol Lenslens »
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2012, 09:49:34 pm »

Edit: Okay, here's a kludgy fix. http://jsbin.com/idifof/70/edit#html,live Output is a little grammatically hosed up, due to the recursively Mad-Libs-ian nature of the beasty. I fixed a bunch of spelling, added pound signs to the name variables, and removed my Klingon entry, plus set up colors so that the patterns weren't calling other patterns. (Polka-dotted and tie-dyed stripes are right out! >:( ) It's... interesting, to say the least.
Curious why you added #'s, makes the variables that much more difficult to type, and if the brackets are already being seperated out it doesn't add anything to the generator itself.

That said, you couldn't begin to sort through the grammatical mess this is without adding all sorts of conditionals for punctuation, plurality, etc. which kind of defeats the purpose of having easily accessible groups of tags in the first place. It also makes the run-on problem even worse. You could potentially make it work by grouping fragments that should be worded the same way into larger clumps and building up the sentence from the ground that way ("[SINGULAR_THIRD_PRONOUN]  [IS_WAS]" and "[PLURAL_THIRD_PRONOUN] [ARE_WERE]", then using [PEOPLE_DOING] [VERB] for everything else) but that's getting into the absurd.

I think the problem is that it tries to be too many things. A magical effect generator, a name and relationship generator (gain the enmity of Lord Suchandsuch), a weather tracker, etc. It comes out extremely jumbled, like a small child trying to tell their own version of Lord of the Rings. If we trimmed it down to its core (this being, of course, your vagina growing chitin and the sky filling with beautiful rainbows twice) I think the tag thing has a lot of promise, especially for simple stuff like materials, colors, animals, etc.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2012, 01:37:53 am »

Curious why you added #'s, makes the variables that much more difficult to type, and if the brackets are already being seperated out it doesn't add anything to the generator itself.

That said, you couldn't begin to sort through the grammatical mess this is without adding all sorts of conditionals for punctuation, plurality, etc. which kind of defeats the purpose of having easily accessible groups of tags in the first place. It also makes the run-on problem even worse. You could potentially make it work by grouping fragments that should be worded the same way into larger clumps and building up the sentence from the ground that way ("[SINGULAR_THIRD_PRONOUN]  [IS_WAS]" and "[PLURAL_THIRD_PRONOUN] [ARE_WERE]", then using [PEOPLE_DOING] [VERB] for everything else) but that's getting into the absurd.

I think the problem is that it tries to be too many things. A magical effect generator, a name and relationship generator (gain the enmity of Lord Suchandsuch), a weather tracker, etc. It comes out extremely jumbled, like a small child trying to tell their own version of Lord of the Rings. If we trimmed it down to its core (this being, of course, your vagina growing chitin and the sky filling with beautiful rainbows twice) I think the tag thing has a lot of promise, especially for simple stuff like materials, colors, animals, etc.

Yeah, that's about my take on it. I'd keep the old framework and apply the recursive tag replacer to clean up the stuff that was being repeated with slight variations, (Like animals and colors)  and also allow for things like X/Y hybrids and patterns.

I think Armok said he added the #s to fix an error at some point, but I don't know what the error actually was.
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2012, 04:14:38 pm »

OMG this is PERFECT! :D exactly as I envisioned it. and my reply to the child's version of lord of the right is as follows: Axe Cop. This is supposed to be funny, not usefully.

... ok, maybe it's a BIT extreme, but I do think it can be fixed without going outside the system currently set up, by doing some clever things with tags not necessarily needing brackets and empty strings, and conceded some more categories may be needed. I were not trying all that hard to make everything work perfectly, just get the technical side working and translating everything to the new system as a proof of concept.

Here, I've already fixed it up pretty decent, and it'll just get better from here.

Here is THE LATEST VERSION EVERYONE SHOULD USE: http://jsbin.com/idifof/84/edit
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2012, 04:17:28 pm »

It comes to pass that simultaneously a fissure in the earth opens and releases an army of very femenine half  tiny  falcon half  tremendus  unicorn abdominations and the  left ear of your friends screams, then the  left arm of Lord Pius 'Brass Man' Georgesson Esq. feels icy cold, then a divinely physically weak and sharp-eyed  kobold appears out of nowhere for a few seconds and scares the nearest  pink-skined alien with dragon wings growing out of it's forehead for eternity.

That's one scary Kobold. Also, spelling mistakes.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2012, 05:28:02 pm »

Now simultaneously the walls bleed in the land of the lizards and spiders and centipedes crawl all over the  rigth leg of Lord John 'McKenziesbane' Smith, then the walls groan and crack around Lady Margaret 'Ripper' Smythe Esq., then the genitals of the nearest  demon grows fur intermittently, on average for an hour per one thousand, three hundre and thiry seven years, then you become intelligent for a day, then simultaneously the walls bleed in the room except you and cotton plants grow from all cotton around the first person of the opposite gender that you see, then a free wish appears in front of you.

This time your friends can read the mind of the first person of the opposite gender that a fish-man called Margaret McKenzie see permanently.

This time simultaneously a fissure in the earth opens and releases prehistoric monkeys and cotton plants grow from all cotton in a two mile radius, then you feel happy at the first person of the opposite gender that your mother see permanently, then the toes of the nearest person splits into two ones identical to the original.

Now all items and clothing around the first person your mother see disapear.

It comes to pass that all wood sprouts tree branches nearby until the first person of the opposite gender that the first person of the opposite gender that the nearest person see see concentrate hard enough..

It comes to pass that you burst into flames for a day once every a week for a thousand years.

This time ghostly dwarves rule the land of the very androgynus fae permanently.

It comes to pass that you get the giggles permanently.

First the fingers of Lady Margaret 'Brass Man' McKenzie VII is cured of any maladies, then your mother attacks your friends with the  nose and grow a tail in the obvious location for two days once every eternity for a day and finaly a pile of gold materializes near a translucent-skined alien with A penis growing out of it's forehead called Dave Smith.

Now your mother gets attacked by a kobold pirate and get crowned King (or Queen) of Dream World for one thousand, three hundre and thiry seven years.

This time you fall in love with you, but only while you are asleep.

First a fissure in the earth opens and releases prehistoric tremendus monkeys, then the walls bleed in a three mile radius for a fortnight once every a week for eternity, then the first person of the opposite gender that the first person of the opposite gender that the nearest  dwarf pirate see see get crowned King (or Queen) of the entire world and have an incredible orgasm, but only while you are asleep, then a ghostly  xenomorphfolk walks slowly by and finaly your friends can read the mind of you.

First plaid-skined aliens with white feathery wings growing out of it's forehead rule all ghostly men,

Now vodka pours from the first person you sees  rump.

This time simultaneously superheated plasma pours from yous  navel and the vertebrae of everyone nearby shrivels.

First a dark crimson slime appears out of nowhere for a few seconds and scares you, then simultaneously the  rigth hand of a very femenine  deer-woman with the lower body of A monkey called Pauline Smith shrivels and rum shots from yous nose and finaly the  rigth leg of you grows fur.

First magical books appears in front of the first person the nearest  blue slime see, then simultaneously magical books appears in front of you and a piece of rotten cheese materializes near a fish-woman called Michael Smith and finaly a fissure in the earth opens and releases prehistoric unicorns.

This time a dragonperson called Michael McKenzie grow a vagina in the obvious location and grow an extra, redundant  draconic, arrow-headed tail, if any all day, every February 29th.

This time simultaneously a piece of rotten cheese appears in front of a dark purple-mottled mauve-skined alien with A tail growing out of it's forehead ninja called Margaret Callahan and elephants rule Dream World.

First the  rump of Lord George 'Crusher' Paulinesdottir IV twitches and trembles, then a fair folk appears out of nowhere for a few seconds and scares you a thousand times, then you gain unmatched skill in hot-dog-eating and grow breasts in the obvious locations, but only for a fortnight and finaly a fissure in the earth opens and releases prehistoric horses.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2012, 07:02:08 pm »

My foot turned into straw, burst into flames. Then I got hit by lightning.

Click

You are filled with joy and happiness for a week.

Must be all those drugs in the hospital :(
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2012, 07:17:17 pm »

You turn into a lizardfolk and then you become undead twice.
Wait, what?

All of your limbs bleed, but only for a few minutes.
NOT MY BLOOD!

Your tongue turns bright orange and shrivels, then all nearby wood sprouts tree branches.
O.o I have a cheeto for a tongue.

Everyone can read your mind, then you turn into a wolf, and finally you become a teenager.
I'm...Link!?

You turn into a bear repeatedly.
Werebear, activate!

Your experience the worst memory of the nearest person and then you become more intelligent for the rest of the day.
I'd actually be okay with that, considering that I have my 3 year old next to me.

You get the giggles permanently.
That would could make being a salesman quite difficult.

Your entire body has an orgasm and then you turn into a griffin, but only for a few minutes.
Okay, I'm done here.

Edit: One last one.

Your hair grows fur permanently.
This is different...how?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 07:21:05 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 06, 2012, 07:59:22 pm »

Use this newer improved generator, not the one in the OP: http://jsbin.com/idifof/84/edit
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 06, 2012, 08:06:27 pm »

This time a half  tiny  fish half  lizard abdomination walks slowly by a thousand times.

Wow. A slow repetitive Lizardfish.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 06, 2012, 08:33:38 pm »

Am I awesome or am I awesome? :D

Also, it's not just a *very masculine* elf ninja, with a Nordic-sounding name.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #162 on: June 06, 2012, 09:40:53 pm »

I once (well several time, but most recently) wrote something like this to Googleflood.

The random seed for a page was it's hashed URL, so every time you visited a page, you got exactly the same content (google likes this)

However, inserted in the text random words were turned into links so:

example.com/index.html would have "John Smith is an excellent dentist blah blah..."

which linked to example.com/dentist.aspx which would have "Dentist: John Q. Smith blah dentist blah blah apples blah blah..."

which linked to example.com/dentist/apple.html: "Dentists and Apples: J. Q. Smith blah blah apples, blah dentist blah blah. Apples blah dentists..."

I utterly SWAMPED the Google results for my target name. hundreds and hundreds of pages of mine before any other results.

I took it down since it was too obviously spammy to any human (but fooled googlebot.); My plan had been for my pages to be at the bottom of the ranks, with links to my friends site to boost his business; not to appear above his own site!
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 07, 2012, 12:13:30 pm »

This time you get trapped in an ever-shifting labyrinth until Lord Arnold 'Brass Man' Michaelsson Jr. learn the value of friendship..

Learn faster Arnold! For the love of god, faster!

Now the  rump of you smells like  bumblebee, but only while you are asleep.

Oh god why do I keep waking up with bee stings?!?

First gems and jewelry materializes near your mother, then you kiss you on the lips and become inexplicably happy at the strike of midnight, every midnight and finaly your friends can read the mind of you.

Clonecest? And my friends can watch?!? Sign me up!  :o

This time simultaneously cotton plants grow from all cotton in the room except you and ostriches rule the land of the demons.

So, business as usual at the HFS?

This time simultaneously the large bat wings, if any of you grows  shrub on it and a fissure in the earth opens and releases an army of elves, then the first person the first person of the opposite gender that you see see relive the worst memory of the first person of the opposite gender that the first person the nearest  centaur see see until you successfully pass through the Cavern of Screams..

That... uh... wait... wha...? So I see a person, and the first person they see sees the memory of another person seen by a person seen by a centaur. That's some sort of voodoo chain-letter stuff going on right there.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2012, 03:10:29 pm »

Now the  rump of you smells like  bumblebee, but only while you are asleep.

I love this one, because it almost sounds like what one of the more advanced spambots would say. :P
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12