Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Does anyone play DnD?  (Read 6163 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone play DnD?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 01:40:27 am »

I currently am playing 2 different D&D games here and another IRL. The games here are Trail's End on MapTools every Friday, and Schemes and Shadows as a play by post.

Play by post works extremely well in RP heavy campaigns, but it's absolutely undeniably horrifyingly terrible for combat heavy campaigns. Best to stick to MapTools or IRC if you want somewhat fast online D&D.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 03:15:04 am »

The problem with DnD is the fact that people seem unwilling to adopt the new rules. This forms a split community where you are uncertain if you can actually play the game with your opponent. It is the reason I never got my hands on it and just went to playing WH40K. :(
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 12:19:07 pm »

Star Wars D6 kinda guy.

Heck yes.  That's the game I started PnP roleplaying with, and will always hold a special place in my heart.  I was very disappointed when Star Wars converted to D20.

So on topic, no, I've never played DnD, but I have played a number of D20 based games, such as Star Wars, Everquest and some homebrew games using the system.  These days I prefer GURPS though.

Play by post does sound like it would be quite a lot slower, but I'll be finding out for myself soon enough with an online GURPS campaign I'll be part of.  Will be the first I've done online.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 05:27:49 pm »

I've played a small amount of 3.5 D&D. I enjoyed it a lot, but it's hard getting together with people who want to play.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 06:11:45 pm »

Haven't played D&D for... three months. Group broke up.

What? Why did that happen?
One guy's life interfered. Another guy moved to another state. I was actually spending too much money/time travelling to and from the game, so when the group shrank, I didin't feel it was worth it. If it weren't for the expense and distance, I would have happily ran drop-in games for months until we scored enough replacement players for a regular campaign.

I know you *really* only replied because you wanted to suggest OD&D was the problem, but actually everyone loved that. Everything was loose, quick and fun. The players involved were all refugees from ... less quick and fun editions, let's say.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 06:44:01 pm »

I used to play DnD when I was younger, along with a huge collection of new and old roleplaying games. Since pretty much only me and my brother were really interested, and we had trouble convincing friends to play along, we spent just as much time reading books as actually playing. And we spent much more time just inventing stories than actually rolling dices and stuff. It was fun.

I really, really want to try a dungeon crawl game with the map and the figurines and all the bells and whistles though. Never really had the chance to.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 05:58:57 pm »

Check my signature.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 07:08:06 pm »

I play alot of pbp DnD, mainly 3.5e but I'm getting into Pathfinder as well. What I love is all the homebrew you can find. Granted there's plenty of homebrew that's overpowered and whatnot but how else are you legitimately going to play a iron man power ranger whose also a magical girl?

I've also dabbled in several other systems like Battletech, Mekton Zeta, and currently playing a game of Mutants and Masterminds 2e.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 12:59:54 am »

-snip-
Since pretty much only me and my brother were really interested, and we had trouble convincing friends to play along, we spent just as much time reading books as actually playing. And we spent much more time just inventing stories than actually rolling dices and stuff.

this, effing this. same problem. at least i got a friend into neverwinter nights and kotor and all of them, the video game gateway drug to the d20 system  :D, but getting a group together is so hard....and a group of 2 isnt very fun....
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 01:05:15 pm »

Browser based virtual tabletop. Looks like it has potential.
http://roll20.net/

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 02:32:37 am »

We have some Star Wars D20 planned for this weekend. Our characters are:

An ex-stormtrooper from a high-g world with 18 strength.
A Wookiee force adept. Note that this is a height of the empire campaign, so force users are hunted down and wookies are slaves...
A Droid built from the unholy union of countless bits of scrap, mainly being a droideka and an ELE droid.
An imperial pilot who skipped out of the service with the ex-stormtrooper.
A self-hating gungan, now happily deceased before he ever got a chance to be used in game.
A Rodian scoundrel who is by far the most charismatic character.
A dangerously sociopathic and schizoid Ithorian doctor who recently burned the corpses of our enemies, then realized he wanted to loot them, so he took a badly singed and slightly furry padded flight suit and put it on. Then he danced.

And finally, my character, a dude with a lightsaber. No, not a jedi... and not force adept... and he isn't even force sensitive. He's just a dirt farmer from Dantooine with a lightsaber. And 6 wisdom, which explains why he tries to use a lightsaber in combat without the force.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2012, 02:37:23 am »

A dangerously sociopathic and schizoid Ithorian doctor who recently burned the corpses of our enemies, then realized he wanted to loot them, so he took a badly singed and slightly furry padded flight suit and put it on. Then he danced.
For an Ithorian, that is damn sociopathic :o

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2012, 01:19:16 pm »

The closest thing I guess I've ever been to be playing DnD was this BYOND Game called RP Radio, which is DnD, but Sonic The Hedgehog. The people there are downright hostile.  :-\

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2012, 01:50:29 pm »

I have played, back in 3rd edition and earlier. Been in a drought these past few years though. My preferred game system was d20 modern.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2012, 06:51:43 pm »

I don't, but I enjoy  watching/hearing stories about people playing(this applies to most tabletop games). I frequently browse /tg/ for stories and such. I just wish the source books were not SO DAMN EXPENSIVE!. I refuse to pay 50+ dollars for any book I'm reading for pleasure.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 [2] 3