Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Are you gonna get Pokemon Sword or Pokemon Shield?

I ATTAC
- 8 (15.4%)
I PROTECC
- 6 (11.5%)
Waiting on the third one
- 2 (3.8%)
Waiting on the third AND fourth one
- 1 (1.9%)
GET WELL SOON ZYGARDE
- 5 (9.6%)
I am a concientous objector and abstain from taking up arms
- 30 (57.7%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 463

Author Topic: A Thread about the Pokemans: POKEMANS ON MOTORCYCLES  (Read 657918 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: A Thread about the Pokemans: *Trumpets*
« Reply #4035 on: December 31, 2014, 01:22:52 pm »

What do you want your water type to do?

Almost all the water types are great. I can only think of a handful that are worthless:

1. Lumineon
2. Luvdisc? (I think it's kinda okay though as it can be quite annoying with toxic)

That's about it.

For water / flying types like Gyarados there are quite a few others that aren't as popular.

Pelipper is one. He's basically a flying wall. He's got rain dish to increase his annoyance factor.

Swanna is a favorite of mine. With hydration you can do a rain set to basically be immortal (rest + rain dance). Also is fast and does quite a lot of damage, especially in rain (surf + hurricane).

Mantine is a special defense wall. It has water absorb which is always fun.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: December 31, 2014, 01:51:08 pm »

Gyarados might have the water/flying typing but other then for resistances it doesn't take advantage of such, and my team has a strong enough anti-fighter edge.

Gyarados slots into my Water section.

It needs a strong physical attack and a bit of a buffer zone too.

Add in that Gyarados has intimidate (which is hard to get rid of...)

I'll give my cruddy team... I warn you there is two fakemon here.

-Delta Blastoise (Dark/Fighting): Not much to say here... It has aura sphere, dark pulse, vacuum wave, and knock off (same stats as a normal Blastoise).
-Delta Gardevoir (Lightning/Ice): Nuzzle, frostbreath, shockwave, calm mind

Ok with them out of the way... >_<

-Haunter: Shadow Ball, Shadow Punch, Curse, Confuse Ray... I want to keep him, and GOODNESS did Haunter stay useless for a while, and I need to evolve him to make him truly great.
-Typhosion: Flame Charge, Quick Attack, Flamewheel, Swift
-Gyrados: Aqua Tail, Bite, Brine, Icefang

Then my 6th slot is between: Kadabra and Larvitar.

These guys are going from 35-40

My team has barely been getting along.

---

As for what teams I like to build. I like to build well rounded teams... but I always lack a firm strategy.

I thought of Clauncher to replace Gyrados... but I have a feeling I'll run into issues.

I'd replace Typhosion too, because I don't like fire types, but I have no idea how. Maybe with Fletching

Mantine is a special defense wall.

I have no shortage of special defense... I wish I had a Snorlax to boost it further.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:53:42 pm by Neonivek »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: December 31, 2014, 02:19:43 pm »

Uhh... I don't particularly know how your pokemod works. Also it's a single player game so honestly you could play with 6 Magikarps and win no problem. But I'm just gonna treat it like you wanna go pro or something.

1. Too much special attack. Almost all your guys are special attackers.
2. Moveset sucks. Frost breath, shock wave, shadow punch, swift, flamewheel, bite, etc. are all pretty crappy moves. Not to mention you have physical attack moves on Haunter and Typhlosion. Their physical attack is nonexistent, it's a waste of time.
3. Your team is super fragile. The only guy that can arguably switch into something without dying on your team is Blastoise. Even then it's just a Blastoise, it's not THAT tanky.

Literally your whole team could be walled by a Snorlax. Not even joking. Even your only physical attacker in Gyrados wouldn't be able to kill him since aqua tail is a pretty meh move, bite is worthless, brine won't do any damage, and ice fang is resisted.

If you want a water-type get Carracosta or something. Poliwrath works too.

I'd also toss out all the garbage moves that make no sense. The reason your Haunter stayed useless for so long is because you have curse and shadow punch on him.

Do something like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: December 31, 2014, 04:47:29 pm »

If we're on the subject of water types, tentacruel is pretty sweet and I don't see him around much.  Toxic spikes doesn't get a whole lot of mileage in this OU, lots of steel, flying, and levitate, but he makes a pretty good spinner and special tank nonetheless.

Also because he's not used very often not many people know about Liquid Ooze.  Tentacruel makes ferrothorn very sad and there's some other fun ways to use it.

I'm also in love with bisharp right now.  The blobs are annoying as fuck and bisharp sets up so hard on them it's pretty much a guaranteed cripple or kill, knock-off hits ridiculously hard with +2
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: December 31, 2014, 07:09:48 pm »

Uhh... I don't particularly know how your pokemod works. Also it's a single player game so honestly you could play with 6 Magikarps and win no problem. But I'm just gonna treat it like you wanna go pro or something.

Uhhh, surprisingly not the case with this one. They actually put a lot of thought into it.

Also Curse isn't a good move? Dang...

Also I thought of giving Gengar Sludge bomb to kill fairies.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: December 31, 2014, 07:30:12 pm »

Curse is good. On ghost types that can survive more than a stiff breeze (Trevenant). Or on slow, bulky physical non-ghost types (Bibarel).

If you are having so much trouble in your modded game then I'd toss out that worthless Gardevoir with the craptastic typing, probably the Blastoise as well. Or maybe the Gengar, one of them at least. Get more physical damage or more support-type pokemon preferably with priority moves. And seriously throw away all those garbage moves that just take up space like swift and bite.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: December 31, 2014, 08:32:51 pm »

Well Haunter stayed useless for so long because it doesn't learn a single special attack until level 33 and I haven't found many TMs yet.

It is the typical problem with Gen 1 pokemon is that their movesets and their attributes are often not linked.

Causing some of them to basically wait forever for a single move that benefits them. Pidgy being a rather big one.

Curse is good. On ghost types that can survive more than a stiff breeze (Trevenant). Or on slow, bulky physical non-ghost types (Bibarel).

So I'll want Destiny Bond and keep it for some powerful pokemon I usually wouldn't stand a chance to tank?

---

What about a Hitmonchan? I like that guy. Elemental punches all around.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 09:01:11 pm by Neonivek »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: December 31, 2014, 10:57:15 pm »

Hitmonchan is good. Generally you want Iron Fist as his ability for obvious punching.

He's also quite tanky strangely enough.

I'm not particularly sure why you'd want to rely on destiny bond in a singleplayer game as it'll mean having to die more often. Which means having to go back to the pokecenter, etc. It'll work for sure but you'd probably be better off with another pokemon if destiny bond is your best bet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: December 31, 2014, 11:19:35 pm »

This fanmade is kind of tough >_<... Sweeping everyone with single pokemon isn't really viable.

Taking out a key pokemon from a gym leader or rival pays off. Still bugs me that the Haunter knew Shining Gleam...

For example when I fought Celebi the way I beat it was using Curse because it was WAY too early in the game to even see pokemon with those stats and her other pokemon weren't terrible.

That and I am not good at sweeping...

Ok then I'll try to farm a Hitmonchan...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:27:18 am by Neonivek »

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: January 01, 2015, 01:10:16 pm »

What fangame is that, anyway? Omicron/Delta?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: January 01, 2015, 01:14:31 pm »

Same maker, though it is Insurgence.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: January 01, 2015, 05:29:02 pm »

So I put together a new team.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm trying to get some decent games in to get a better idea of how it plays and what it needs, maybe a replay or two, but every game I've played has been kind of a joke.  What I'm really feeling right now is a ground type.  I love mamoswine but I guess Sylveon has dragons covered, which has me leaning more and more towards god damn lando-t.  I guess there's a reason he's everywhere.

Also wondering about Medicham versus Gallade.  Hrm.

Edit:  Switched out Gallade and Clefable for Mega Medicham and Focus Sash mamoswine.  I like it, though the first game I tried the Medicham got freeze haxed two turns in and tied.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:32:02 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: January 01, 2015, 07:04:19 pm »

I think it's a pretty good team.

From experience, Scizor can't really use roost simply because it dies too easily. For example, the moment anyone sees Scizor out comes whatever token fire user the enemy team has. Scizor will die in one hit to even hidden power fire. It's also fairly weak to any kind of other attack, though the resists might say otherwise. Generally speaking it'll die in two hits to almost anything. Roost won't really help in that regard. I recommend something like swords dance instead, that way even if something brings you down to 30% hp (which happens all the freaking time), after a single swords dance boost you can do massive damage with bullet punch spam. More useful than roosting maybe once, get smacked down to 20% hp, then roosting again then dying.

I'm also not particularly sure why you need defog when you aren't weak to entry hazards. Even assuming the enemy is going to waste 5 turns setting up spikes and toxic spikes, you could easily send out the same Scizor and set up three sword dances in the meantime then trololol to victory.

Other than that your team is pretty weak to fire. You only have hydro pump to save you and believe you me that's going to fail whenever you need it the most. I'm assuming your new Mamoswine has earthquake which should help a bit. It is a focus sash Mamoswine though, so it's practically a given that he's going to die in the first few turns (stealth rock, something, endeavour, die).

Also need something for the steel types, water / ground types, etc. I'd imagine guys like Ferrothorn and M-Swampert could do some serious work on your team. A prankster thunder wave user would cripple you really bad. Lots of things like that.

Summary:

Strong against:
1. Dragons
2. Teams with long set up, walls
3. Dark, ground, psychic, and most physical types

Weak against:
1. Baton passers
2. Fire, steel, water, ground
3. Priority

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: January 01, 2015, 11:11:00 pm »

What kinds of pokemon would you suggest there?  I've been swapping various things out, looking for options.  Stuff like Heatran, Lati@s, etc. Gallade/Medicham, Bisharp, and Sylveon are the core right now. 

I did have that situation you mentioned but it was with bisharp instead of scizor.  Came in on a toxic spiking forretress who had no way of hurting me and set up big time, blew through the team in a couple turns.  Fun times.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: January 02, 2015, 12:30:34 am »

I wouldn't really suggest anything. I think it's a good team. No one team can fight every single team, it can't be done.

Your team is really strong at those points and has some weaknesses in other.  I think when those weaknesses are simple and easy you can learn to work around them. For example, if you see a baton passer like Ninjask or Espeon, just kill them ASAP or be prepared for the baton pass by setting your own sweepers up. For example, let's say Ninjask comes out and starts preparing it's usual speed boost + swords dance + substitute shenanigans. Most people would just taunt and that'll be the end of that but for you, you could send out Scizor. Swords dance once then just use bullet punch every single turn. Even if Ninjask baton passes, it'll be at a disadvantage.

It's still generally wise to have a fire move of some sort to deal exclusively with guys like Scizor and Ferrothron. Ferrothorn is ludicrously difficult to kill without a fire move, though it can still be done... just takes quite awhile (about 3 to 4 earthquakes). A grass move is also good for the ground / water types I mentioned though I think those you can just brute force down with a sword danced Bisharp.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 463