Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490678 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2013, 10:02:56 am »

(Actually, redoing those calculations: 1G = 9,81m/sē  c=299,792,458 m/s meaning that you need about 30*106. seconds or slightly under a year to get to 1 c. Do note that this doesn't incorporate any discrepancy caused by relativistic stuff.)

Do you mean that 1g (little 'g', different from big 'G', although I can't claim to be consistent on that point myself) would take you under a year to get to 1 c?

Anyway, the 'discrepancy caused by relativistic stuff' is mostly the point.  You'd never reach 1c (either objectively or subjectively), but as you asymptotically headed c-wards (from an external POV) you'd just be continually accelerating at your chosen capability of acceleration (fuel/energy allowing) and experiencing (from your own POV) a length-distorted rest-of-the-universe universe "accelerating the other way" for a shorter period of time, as you closed in on the target quicker than you might have imagined you should without those effects...

(Obviously, after half way it'd be decelerating to a stop, and back to 'normal' dimensions, at which point you'd wonder how you got from where you did in the time you experienced.  If you were totally unaware of the concept of dilation, of course.)
Ah, typoes overywhere. And yeah, that's what I meant.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2013, 06:01:42 pm »

Leonardo da Vinci's notebook has been fully digitized and made available online, thanks to the British Library's digitizing efforts. Too bad I can't read italian, much less mirrored renaissance italian. At least his drawings and diagrams are pretty to look at.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #317 on: February 16, 2013, 06:04:27 pm »

Leonardo da Vinci's notebook has been fully digitized and made available online, thanks to the British Library's digitizing efforts. Too bad I can't read italian, much less mirrored renaissance italian. At least his drawings and diagrams are pretty to look at.
Science just gave history a hug while it held humanity's hand in a platonic way.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 16, 2013, 06:54:14 pm »

He seems to have held a fascination for weight-and-pulley systems. And men. But mainly weight-and-pulley systems.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 17, 2013, 12:47:03 am »

GLORIOUS. Seriously, this is awesome.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 17, 2013, 05:57:27 am »

I feel the sudden need to get a mirror.

although his handwriting doesn't seem easy to read.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 19, 2013, 12:02:51 am »

http://www.icosa.co/2013/02/lockheed-skunkworks-develops-compact-fusion/

So. Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks are claiming they have come up with a compact, practical way of generating power with fusion. They hope to have a prototype version up within 5 years, commercial version in 10.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 19, 2013, 12:09:18 am »

http://www.icosa.co/2013/02/lockheed-skunkworks-develops-compact-fusion/

So. Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks are claiming they have come up with a compact, practical way of generating power with fusion. They hope to have a prototype version up within 5 years, commercial version in 10.
Fusion has been promised for decades. Honestly, I'll believe it when I see it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 19, 2013, 12:33:51 am »

The old quote about this is something like "they used to say that Fusion Power is only [10|20|30|40] years away from being realised...  well it's been [10|20|30|40] years since then and Fusion Power is still only [10|20|30|40] years away". ;)

(I also remember the Cold Fusion debacle of... ummm... the late '80s, I think it was.  I think... Fleischman and Ponds...? did their particular subset of the field no good.  Like a prequel to ?AL84001?, or whatever it was, except that was far less damaging to the idea of life on Mars, albeit we'd rather go and look for life on Mars than try to work it out from fragments of Mars that made their way to Earth without human assistance...  Cold Fusion, however, is held in slightly higher regard than homoeopathy, by most legitimate research institutes, if at all.)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 19, 2013, 12:36:02 am »

I'll never be sad to hear advancements in Fusion. It's a game-changer. Fusion is something we can go to the stars on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 19, 2013, 01:35:47 am »

Are we taking bets on whether the JPL-Eagleworks or Lockheed-Martin get their little projects done first?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 19, 2013, 01:42:19 am »

I bet 100 fake Internet credits on Lockheed-Martin. No real reason.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 19, 2013, 01:57:18 am »

I skimmed the past dozen posts and I caught onto a bunch of space travel stuff, and slow but steady acceleration.

Why haven't solar sails been mentioned?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 19, 2013, 01:59:41 am »

I skimmed the past dozen posts and I caught onto a bunch of space travel stuff, and slow but steady acceleration.

Why haven't solar sails been mentioned?
Too friggin slow. At least that's what I thought, anywhere I can learn more about them?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 19, 2013, 02:01:23 am »

Something tells me that they wouldn't work very well while traveling towards a star, which means that it wouldn't be terribly useful for interplanetary travel or whatever.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 339