Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 491023 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1065 on: December 16, 2013, 10:58:29 pm »

I do accept the time required, and yeah the universe is big and almost allows for an infinite amount of life, I just don't expect to find anything spectacular close to home.

I would like to see forms of life not based off of DNA made of phosphorous, like the reports of arsenic based life a few years ago that turned out to not be true. similar activity and reactions, so its logical that arsenic life forms exist

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 16, 2013, 11:05:46 pm »

Ah awesome! I apparently don't read enough of the right things, I've heard of those experiments but never had a decent summary of the results. Still a pretty big crapshoot to get the right things though.
Billions of years, millions upon millions (upon millions (upon millions(etc.))) of individual dice rolls. If it's happened once, the crapshoot is seriously in the favor of it happening more times. Space is just big, is all, and our ability to find things still relatively nascent in regards to sifting through it.
Don't forget the time periods involved. It took, what, 1.5 billion years before even the simplest life began to form on Earth? Considering that those protocells previously mentioned formed after only a few hours (in a lab setting yes, but still), there's clearly plenty of opportunities for beneficial adaptations to occur.

Space X Time = Pretty good odds of life being out there, actually.
And if we actually look at the time it took on Earth (which, to be fair, is a pretty small sample size), life is pretty darned easy. There's evidence of it pretty much as far back as you can get. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadean#Hadean_rocks
It existed in a period so hellish it is literally called the Hadean, in which much of the surface still consisted of lava.

The real trick, apparently, is multicellular life. It took billions of years after it first formed before life first became multicellular, merely a billion years ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_evolution#Basic_timeline

Which is also why I suspect that we will find evidence of simple, single-cellular extraterrestrial life within my lifetime, but nothing more complex than that for another century or so.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:09:23 pm by alway »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 17, 2013, 03:38:17 am »

I do accept the time required, and yeah the universe is big and almost allows for an infinite amount of life, I just don't expect to find anything spectacular close to home.

I would like to see forms of life not based off of DNA made of phosphorous, like the reports of arsenic based life a few years ago that turned out to not be true. similar activity and reactions, so its logical that arsenic life forms exist
Fully organic DNA seems more probable - you have proteins and sugars as purely organic macro-molecules, there's really no reason to expect that phosphorous is needed for DNA-like molecules.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 25, 2013, 07:08:58 am »

And another one out the category of cheap sciencefiction plots. Create Dinosaurs by devolving birds.

Link

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 25, 2013, 12:07:23 pm »

we already have dinosaurs

we call them birds

we really don't need the old ones back

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 25, 2013, 12:14:14 pm »

It might be somewhat amusing, I'unno. As is, and being fair, they're kinda' assholes enough already. Not sure making them bigger is the best of ideas.

Unless it turns out Utahraptor is even more delicious than chicken or something, in which case let's get this show on the freaking road. Entirely sorta' new species to enslave and consume. If you bring a species back from extinction, you get to eat some of them, right? That's how it works.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 12:16:37 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1071 on: December 28, 2013, 03:46:34 pm »

Unless it turns out Utahraptor is even more delicious than chicken or something, in which case let's get this show on the freaking road. Entirely sorta' new species to enslave and consume. If you bring a species back from extinction, you get to eat some of them, right? That's how it works.

We fought our way to the top of the food chain so that we could resurrect the fallen and devour them once more!
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 28, 2013, 03:59:15 pm »

We fought our way to the top of the food chain so that we could resurrect the fallen and devour them once more!
Nature truly is our bitch.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 15, 2014, 09:37:29 pm »

1000 qbit computer get! Don't be mislead by the graph that says they'll do more than a conventional computer could do between now and heat death sometime in 2014, quantum computers are only good for certain problems.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 15, 2014, 09:41:49 pm »

Don't be mislead by the graph that says they'll do more than a conventional computer could do between now and heat death sometime in 2014, quantum computers are only good for certain problems.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 15, 2014, 11:14:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure that even if we used the entire humanity to solve simple math problems non-stop, a single modern computer will be faster.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 18, 2014, 07:21:52 am »

I don't understand.

This is the science thread, yet you link to the Daily Mail.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 18, 2014, 08:37:09 am »

I think it was jokingly.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 339