Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489789 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #1905 on: October 07, 2014, 01:09:25 pm »

but do they have

* LordSlowpoke chuckles

lifelike texture

* LordSlowpoke bursts into treats

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: October 07, 2014, 01:40:59 pm »

Anyone else keeping an eye on the Nobel Prizes? The medical prize was awarded for a fascinating neurology study of how brains map shape, space and our position within said volume. The Physics prize was for the development of blue LED's which to me seems a little... I don't know... weak, when compared to other work, despite the huge impact it has had in real world applications.

Also, with it being my cake day tomorrow, the inevitable jokes and pranks from my esteemed colleagues relating to highly unfunny prank calls and emails from a Mr A Nobel, and glib "So, not your year this year again huh? It would make a nice present, right?" (due to the cool coincidence of birth and prize-giving) are in full swing.
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: October 07, 2014, 01:41:10 pm »

but do they have

* LordSlowpoke chuckles

lifelike texture

* LordSlowpoke bursts into treats
ಠ_ಠ

EDIT:

http://tvnz.co.nz/world-news/lab-grown-penises-ready-testing-men-6099068

why
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 02:20:10 pm by Sergarr »
._.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1908 on: October 07, 2014, 02:32:59 pm »

"Lab-grown penises ready for testing on men"
Phrasing guys!
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: October 07, 2014, 05:06:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: October 08, 2014, 02:25:01 am »

First we have french people inventing a new sport: drone races with VR helmets. Maybe not science but I'll count it because it's still clever use of high tech.

Second we have an old manifesto explaining why saying "X will never happen" or "X is impossible" with X a scientific/technological achievement, is almost certainly wrong.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: October 08, 2014, 01:05:31 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izH08FB2mxU

Lifelike robots!
I see two big things that separate that robot from "lifelike" in my book.
1) Her wrists don't bend far enough. A real person's wrist will go almost to 90o, but her's seem to stop about 30o. She ends up compensating by moving her arm extra, and it makes it look weird.
2) Her movements are too slow and smooth overall. A real person doesn't turn their head in a slow gradual motion, it's more of a "fast + snap to" movement. Heck, even her blinks are slow!

Other then that yeah, definitely getting much closer to the mark.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: October 09, 2014, 06:15:59 am »

The Physics prize was for the development of blue LED's which to me seems a little... I don't know... weak, when compared to other work, despite the huge impact it has had in real world applications
How many Nobel Prize laureates it takes to change a lightbulb?

Three.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: October 09, 2014, 06:23:31 am »

The Physics prize was for the development of blue LED's which to me seems a little... I don't know... weak, when compared to other work, despite the huge impact it has had in real world applications
How many Nobel Prize laureates it takes to change a lightbulb?

Three.

Good one.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: October 11, 2014, 07:27:08 am »

But boy, when they change it, it damn well stays changed :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: October 11, 2014, 07:39:49 am »

I rarely change lightbulbs, but when I do, I get a nobel prize.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1916 on: October 14, 2014, 09:15:04 am »

So apparently an unknown amount of accepted science might be unrepeatable or exaggerated. Especially recent things.

Basically statistical anomalies look cool and get attention, and publishing is biased towards results that confirm the original study. People with null results find it difficult to get their papers published because they're boring and there's not any money to be made from them. This means lots of negative results are effectively hidden.

Eventually ideas get established and it becomes cool to disprove accepted scientific truth, but tons of damage can be done in the meantime. Especially when this affects medicine.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: October 14, 2014, 10:03:58 am »

So apparently an unknown amount of accepted science might be unrepeatable or exaggerated. Especially recent things.

Basically statistical anomalies look cool and get attention, and publishing is biased towards results that confirm the original study. People with null results find it difficult to get their papers published because they're boring and there's not any money to be made from them. This means lots of negative results are effectively hidden.

Eventually ideas get established and it becomes cool to disprove accepted scientific truth, but tons of damage can be done in the meantime. Especially when this affects medicine.

Really interesting - and scary - read.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: October 14, 2014, 10:10:37 am »

Not that surprising for medicine imo, considering the greed of pharmaceutical companies.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: October 14, 2014, 11:23:28 am »

Not that surprising for medicine imo, considering the greed of pharmaceutical companies.

Pharmaceutical companies employ people. At least 1/X of the research people will just go out and say 'hey bossdude, it plain doesn't work'. And getting drugs out also, unless I'm mistaken, requires testing independent of the company that wants to sell it, and having to pull a Great Big Pile O' Pills because someone blows the whistle that the medicine just plain sucks or, worse yet, is toxic, is not the greatest thing you want to have to do when you're greedy.
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 339