Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490719 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2400 on: February 25, 2015, 10:30:15 am »

Not with sound, but electrical signals possibly. As said above, though, it's not something you can just shoot at someone and they'll go homicidal. I mean, you could try to simulate an adrenaline rush (so the decision making part of the brain is running on minimal) then just do enough stuff to really piss them off.
Uh, maybe not specifically with odd frequencies, but almost certainly with sound. Sound is a physical phenomena that interacts with other physical objects -- it being able to reshape or alter your brain is certainly a viable possibility. Surviving the process, or the relative cost efficiency of that process compared to just cutting open the skull and tinkering, is another question, but eh.

In the movie it was something that was constantly transmitting with a lot of things transmitting it and it takes a few short moments to start working not instantly
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: February 25, 2015, 10:31:24 am »

At this point it technically stops being sound and starts being a blast wave.
Would it be feasible to make an audio system based on exploding small amounts of different explosives?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: February 25, 2015, 10:37:15 am »

It would be possible.

Less sure about feasible. Or other things, like reusable. But you could do it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2403 on: February 25, 2015, 10:43:17 am »

Would it be feasible to make an audio system based on exploding small amounts of different explosives?

Well, it's already possible to change the frequency of an engine by revving it higher, which is just a bunch of explosions (unless it's been misrepresented because 'it's powered by explosions sounds cooler'), so all you'd need is a number of fine-tuned engines of varying sizes.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: February 25, 2015, 11:49:00 am »

Certainly!  Perceived sound is different from the underlying waveform. (I will explain)

Take for instance, beat-frequencies, and polyphony in violin strings.  Both produce "tones" that are composites of other tones.

We can produce something akin to this with explosions, if we put the explosions at specific locations around, say, a mountain valley, or a large meteoric impact crater.  We vary the intensity of the explosions, and the distances between the explosions, so that the reflections of the reports of those explosions overlap, and form a polyphonic tonality.

So, setting off a very carefully timed sequence of metered explosions, with a fixed position for the "Listener", we could approximate sound generation.

(Think about it another way.  A monaural speaker is just pulse code modulation-- An explosion is a pulse. Regulating the pulse intensity, and interval between pulses produces the perception of a coherent sound. Here, we do the same thing, using reflection timings, and modulating the intensity and frequency of explosions.)

Practical? No way--- Possible? Sure.  Technically similar to "Impact printer music"
https://vimeo.com/58200103

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: February 25, 2015, 11:51:39 am »

Well, it's already possible to change the frequency of an engine by revving it higher, which is just a bunch of explosions (unless it's been misrepresented because 'it's powered by explosions sounds cooler'), so all you'd need is a number of fine-tuned engines of varying sizes.
An explosion is not a separate physical phenomenon in themselves, just an exoenergetic reaction with a bunch of specific features. Engine fuel, optimally, is a low explosive, so it doesn't detonate in the technical sense (if it does, you get a knocking engine), but the reaction is an explosion nonetheless.

So yeah, you could make such a sound system, if you wanted to play mad scientist and had way too much money to spend.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: February 25, 2015, 12:11:07 pm »

Explosions are just rapidly expanding gasses, right?
Wrong.
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: February 25, 2015, 12:17:47 pm »

This would explain the curious definitions I have seen for "Fart" in some dictionaries.

"A small explosion from between the legs" indeed.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: February 25, 2015, 12:21:34 pm »

Wrong.
Looking it up, what I said was literally a simplified to a flaw explanation.

'An explosion is a rapid increase in volume and release of energy in an extreme manner'

Not quite; it doesn't need to be gasses, for starters (obviously); rapidly expanding gasses alone give you a blastwave, and it's one of the prereqs for an explosion, but not the entire thing. A nuclear explosive, for instance, does not release any gasses - the blast is caused by the exchange of energy with the air, so it's a secondary effect.

The example you gave is an explosion, because it does fulfill the requirement, but it's the 'expanding gasses' part that is inaccurate.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: February 25, 2015, 12:23:06 pm »

Wrong.
Looking it up, what I said was literally a simplified to a flaw explanation.

'An explosion is a rapid increase in volume and release of energy in an extreme manner'
Notice the lack of word "gasses". Explosions can happen under water, for example. Or in plasma. It's not limited to "just gasses".

EDIT: NINJA'D
._.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: February 25, 2015, 12:24:32 pm »

I bought a 23andme genetic testing kit online the other day.  I know it'll all be results that I should take with a grain of salt, but should be pretty interesting.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: February 25, 2015, 12:29:29 pm »

On that note, the wikiwalk I made on the subject is yet another thing for the pile for the poor Echelon operators. Let's all say hello to the nice gentlemen at the NSA.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: February 25, 2015, 12:32:21 pm »

I am curious about my genomic makeup as well (Lots of NASTY mutations in my ancestry) but dont feel comfortable with that information being in the hands of a 3rd party I dont control.

When 23 and Me makes a complete home test kit (that does NOT involve sending the test card back to them for processing) I will most certainly buy one, but not before.

(And yes, rapid whole genome analysis with pure electronic assay is possible. The technology to do it was pioneered in the early 90s as part of the human genome project.  All 23 and Me needs to do is make electronic assay cards with pre-doped sensors, and package a wetware kit with it. )

*edit

NSA spooks?

Now I wonder what the reaction would be to sending 23 and Me a sample card purposefully contaminated with soil bacteria from a cattle yard...  Or maybe mouse droppings.  So many bioterror signatures in innocuous locations if you know where to look.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 12:36:45 pm by wierd »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: February 25, 2015, 12:41:42 pm »

..."bionic eye implant that sends light wave signals to the optic nerve"...

*My mom has macular degeneration, which is degeneration of the layer of cells directly behind the rods and cones in the central portion of the eye, which results in central vision blindness.  As a result, I am keenly interested in assisted vision technology and reparative research.

The linked video is for a device I am familiar with.  The device has a very low resolution, but for people with total blindness, is really awesome.  Sadly, it is not a good solution for my mom. She's a realist artist, and needs high resolution imaging.  The research done in europe with adult stemcells is of more interest to me at the moment.  IIIRC, it is also monochrome only.

Some of the complications with the bionic eye cited above include scar tissue formation, and loss of nerve sensitivity at implant site over time.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 339