Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490724 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2595 on: March 04, 2015, 12:31:27 am »

Sorry if my random questions butt in and stamp out other discussions but you guys seem to give some pretty great answers

How long do you guys think it will be until we can perform full body ((minus nervous system because that's what I think makes a person them, brain included in the nervous system right? If not then the brain as well)) transplant?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: March 04, 2015, 12:56:47 am »

Given that the major factors are rejection, and successful nervous system grafting, and that gene therapy is close to allowing wider organ transplantation, and recent work with cultured olfactory bulb glial cell treatments for spinal damage repair...

Probably within the next 20 years, for sure.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: March 04, 2015, 01:26:01 am »

If you can be bothered get me just the one on the ignition phase. I'm interested to see the relative difference in intensity from late-stage quiescent levels and timescales involved.

Not a paper, it's an expensive book-- But google has a searchable version. The page of interest is page 22. Looks like a very good book, Physics and Chemistry of the Solar System,  By John Lewis.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: March 04, 2015, 02:28:55 am »

I'm imagining a full body transplant procedure and realized that you'd also need to take out the spine.

...The image of a scalpel running through your back, delicately slicing it open and removing a bloody spine along with your skull.

But then I realized that you don't actually need to take out the spine.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: March 04, 2015, 02:34:09 am »

Sorry if my random questions butt in and stamp out other discussions but you guys seem to give some pretty great answers

How long do you guys think it will be until we can perform full body ((minus nervous system because that's what I think makes a person them, brain included in the nervous system right? If not then the brain as well)) transplant?
I remmeber seeing an article mentioning someone out there is planning to attempt a head transplant in a couple years. Too tired to go look for it though.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: March 04, 2015, 08:19:59 am »

They have pulled off body transplants (removing the head and attaching it to a different body) the only problem they had was the person was permanently paralyzed, had to stay on full life support, and died soon after the procedure.
They've don't the same thing with animals and I think a couple people before IIRC they get arrested.

I heard this from the tv show ((Dark Matters?)) which looks at the dark side of scientific research.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: March 04, 2015, 08:37:49 am »

Well, I wouldn't call it a successful transplant if the body fails to do the two things it's supposed to do.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2602 on: March 04, 2015, 08:40:11 am »

Yeah I wouldn't call that 'pulling it off'. More like a badly failed attempt.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: March 04, 2015, 09:13:08 am »

As far as I know head transplant hasn't ever been attempted in humans. It worked (poorly) in monkeys because of the aforementioned reasons.

By the way, you can induce organ graft tollerance via a mini-alloHSCT from the organ donor.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: March 04, 2015, 09:26:24 am »

Well, I wouldn't call it a successful transplant if the body fails to do the two things it's supposed to do.
Well the head was kept alive and the heart in the body was pumping
not sure if the other organs were working

As far as I know head transplant hasn't ever been attempted in humans. It worked (poorly) in monkeys because of the aforementioned reasons.

Ya I'm not sure if the human part that they talked about was true or not because that show has a tendency to add a little fluff to make things more dark.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: March 04, 2015, 02:18:17 pm »

Yeah I think the tricky part with head transplants are spines.
We still can't fix broken spines (otherwise we would have been able to cure spinal injury-induced paralysis) so it's unlikely we can a head off from the spine, then rejoin it with another spine.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: March 04, 2015, 02:23:02 pm »

Again, Recent advances in spinal cord repair have been made using a graft made from tendon, infused with glial cells from the human olfactory bulb.

This makes sense, as the cells in the olfactory bulb continue to divide and proliferate all through adult life. These cells can apparently be leveraged for repair of completely severed spinal columns, which is what this experimental procedure accomplished.

A full body transplant would be more complicated however, because of host/graft rejection. The cells introduced to accomplish the regeneration would have to come from the still living head, which means they would be an allograft for the host spine.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: March 04, 2015, 02:25:23 pm »

Now the true question ((not really this is just a bad attempt at light hearted comedy)) of full body transplant, who is the host? The nervous system or the full healthy body?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: March 04, 2015, 02:26:44 pm »

The preponderance of the immune system would come from the new body, thus the head is the graft, and the body the host.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: March 04, 2015, 02:26:59 pm »

Pretty sure trials in monkeys (or maybe apes) with head transplants have been semi successful, in as much as the subject lived for a number of hours before expiry. Not fab, but its a start.

Now the true question ((not really this is just a bad attempt at light hearted comedy)) of full body transplant, who is the host? The nervous system or the full healthy body?

Well, the nervous system is the seat of conciousness, hosted by a bag 'o meat. The meat sack is nothing without the mind.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 339