Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490778 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2880 on: March 25, 2015, 11:45:05 pm »

Well too bad, I've got three and a half pages out of five finished, will post in edited form in writter's aprentice thread tomorrow.
I didn't do too good but it's definitely gothic writing, I like it.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: March 25, 2015, 11:52:32 pm »

Hey, It's just what popped into my head with that strange list of plot devices. It's a little too saccharine for my tastes though.  Just thought I would share.

Still, the stirling engine is basically the most efficient heat engine possible, AND is conveniently 19th century technology.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: March 26, 2015, 12:20:08 am »

Talking about steampunk, now I want a carbonpunk where everything fucking thing is made out of carbons.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2883 on: March 26, 2015, 12:28:30 am »

Black lung disease for the win alex.

Ordinary soot (like the old 1900s industrial pollutant) contains a fairly significant number of carbon nanotubes, as well as other allotropes of carbon.
Such ordinary soot was one of the primary causes of black lung disease of urban dwellers in the 1900s.
It's kinda funny that you mention that. In many of the tests of health effects on mice, the control group was administered ultra-fine carbon black, which caused, to quote them "minimal effects" :P. The problem is basically that you combine the bad health effects and buildup of the carbon with the fact that the entire substance is now composed of tiny, tiny needles that are adept at piercing through cells and inflaming others.

On another note about how carbon is OP though, don't forget about the graphene sheets that have wholes that only let water and smaller molecules through, automatically filtering out all larger contaminants.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: March 26, 2015, 12:35:36 am »

Indeed, but I am not making it up about carbon nanotubes being present in soot.

Soot contains this highly exotic blend of nanotubes, buckyballs, amorphous carbon aggregates, graphene patches, and all sorts of novel configurations all jumbled together.

Using it as a control vs refined nanotubes just means "Yup, some of the components in soot are benign compared to refined nanotubes."

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: March 26, 2015, 07:09:46 am »

I was asking about a steam engine compared to a gasoline engine, are there any steam engines that would be more efficient (at say running a car or motercycle*) than gasoline powered counterparts. I understand steam engines aren't powered by the steam instead by something that heats the stream and the steam then goes through a system of turbines which blah blah run whatever you are trying to run through said engine. Right? I'm not well learned on engines at all...

*now I can't stop thinking about a real steampunk steam powered motercycle.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: March 26, 2015, 10:02:46 am »

Why do you think I linked that? :P

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: March 26, 2015, 10:08:20 am »

Look at the talk page on the desktop version of that image.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: March 26, 2015, 10:13:11 am »

Desktop version?
._.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: March 26, 2015, 10:44:41 am »

The as-linked image had "en.m.wiki" which is the mobile version. I don't know if you can get to the talk page from there or if it's the same one, but I didn't see a button or link so I redirected y'all to the normal website, which has an easy link to the talk page in question.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: March 26, 2015, 10:48:24 am »

Oh, whoops. I forgot to clean the link.

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 339