Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 491006 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #2985 on: April 10, 2015, 11:37:38 am »

Couldn't you hypothetically build a working warp-drive if you harnessed the ability to project these particles in a given space, removing mass and thus instantly teleporting you I guess?

What I'm saying is you would just have to remove or restore these particles, using a computerized algorithm of some sorts and btw I thought the higgs boson was what game things mass?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: April 10, 2015, 11:50:42 am »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:23:45 pm by penguinofhonor »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: April 10, 2015, 11:58:46 am »

I don't understand why would anybody imagine there's any difference. The things that actually matter are things that tip the balance in either calorie or nutrient counts, such as high-protein foods - protein BARS are a joke, those are pretty much chocolate bars with an obligatory small dose of protein thrown in and, apparently, used to replace 50% of the taste of an actual chocolate bar, while keeping roughly the same amount of sugar.

The study also used protein powder, which I feel is taken more seriously than protein bars.

Also, many of these products market themselves as having special formulas that are more efficient at getting energy to your muscles. Misconceptions about these things are spread by the people selling them, and they always make it look very legitimate and scientific.
They used a mix of various supplements, as the objective was to determine if using supplementation as a whole is better than not using it at all. So, any benefits of any specific substance were irrelevant as it was all tossed into a huge pile with such-and-such amount of carbs, fats and protein in both fast food and supplements. So, the diets were relatively identical.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: April 10, 2015, 11:59:40 am »

I don't understand why would anybody imagine there's any difference. The things that actually matter are things that tip the balance in either calorie or nutrient counts, such as high-protein foods - protein BARS are a joke, those are pretty much chocolate bars with an obligatory small dose of protein thrown in and, apparently, used to replace 50% of the taste of an actual chocolate bar, while keeping roughly the same amount of sugar.

The study also used protein powder, which I feel is taken more seriously than protein bars.

Also, many of these products market themselves as having special formulas that are more efficient at getting energy to your muscles. Misconceptions about these things are spread by the people selling them, and they always make it look very legitimate and scientific.

I went to a DuPont field trip type thing and they showed the whole process of making stuff like protein bars, they actualy have a lot of protein for a granola bar because they put a bunch of soy protein powder/granuels/etc.. was interesting to see.
They also explained why protein drinks and some soy drinks can have a grainy texture
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: April 10, 2015, 12:07:17 pm »

I went to a DuPont field trip type thing and they showed the whole process of making stuff like protein bars, they actualy have a lot of protein for a granola bar because they put a bunch of soy protein powder/granuels/etc.. was interesting to see.
They also explained why protein drinks and some soy drinks can have a grainy texture
I've bought a protein bar yesterday, out of curiosity, as my parents mentioned they are pretty good, actually, and checked the nutrition data. IIRC it had 9 gram of protein and 23 grams of sugar per a 50g bar. That is mostly sugar and a token amount of protein (especially since I can buy a tasty mango yoghurt with less of the former and more of the latter for less).

Plus, protein supplementation can be really goddamn dangerous - if protein makes up too much of your energy intake, you tax your liver and kidneys which are normally processing those, with the potential for failure, especially for kidneys, as liver regenerates.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: April 10, 2015, 12:09:03 pm »

What I'm saying is you would just have to remove or restore these particles, using a computerized algorithm of some sorts and btw I thought the higgs boson was what game things mass?

What are "these particles"?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2991 on: April 10, 2015, 12:12:50 pm »

Couldn't you hypothetically build a working warp-drive if you harnessed the ability to project these particles in a given space, removing mass and thus instantly teleporting you I guess?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: April 10, 2015, 12:14:11 pm »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:24:40 pm by penguinofhonor »

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: April 10, 2015, 12:16:09 pm »

I think he's quoting Star Trek.
I recalled star trek making marginally more sense.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: April 10, 2015, 12:20:37 pm »

No, Star Trek has issues with conservation of boson number. At least what's being described there can include particles with negative mass, which (while completely non-existent) can technically be used that way without breaking stuff too much.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: April 10, 2015, 02:43:56 pm »

This thread can be used for random science questions right? It's been like that before I think.

What would happen, well detailed, if a person were to fall from upper atmosphere (or where ever they would gain terminal velocity I guess) in an armored exo suit (Like in halo) and landed with no parachute. Lets say landing in a grassy field.

Assuming that the suit can make the impact survivable would there be any effects of that quick of a stop on the brain or internals such as a concussion?

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: April 10, 2015, 02:52:43 pm »

This thread can be used for random science questions right? It's been like that before I think.

What would happen, well detailed, if a person were to fall from upper atmosphere (or where ever they would gain terminal velocity I guess) in an armored exo suit (Like in halo) and landed with no parachute. Lets say landing in a grassy field.

Assuming that the suit can make the impact survivable would there be any effects of that quick of a stop on the brain or internals such as a concussion?
more information needed; In what general way does it prevent the fall from being lethal? Because that quick of a stop all at once would turn your brain to mush due to it suddenly slamming into the inside of your skull at 120mph.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: April 10, 2015, 02:55:25 pm »

Aye. Death from the fall would be from the same thing (the sudden stop) as would cause the effects on the brain, so depending on how you stop the death-effect, you could stop the other effects.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: April 10, 2015, 03:03:39 pm »

It keeps it from being externally lethal.
This has been used in game multiple times to survive falling from upper atmosphere with no way of slowing down. It has an ((electro magnetic?)) outer shielding, armor plating, some sort of futuristic skin suit, and some fluid to protect the wearer.

Though this is also used on people who are heavily modified so maybe I'm leaving a lot of info out on the person wearing the suit.
This is the augmentations put on the person we are talking about.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: April 10, 2015, 03:08:46 pm »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:26:48 pm by penguinofhonor »
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 339