Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490919 times)

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, the Higgs, and everything else!
« Reply #3045 on: April 11, 2015, 07:43:33 pm »

The impact would nonetheless probably burst everything in the body. It's not like asteroids remain intact after crashlanding, right? I don't think having empty or full cavities would significatively affect the outcome, given the ammount of force involved.

obv you've never captured an asteroid in ksp

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3046 on: April 11, 2015, 11:08:21 pm »

Doesn't matter how much they can stop, if we're looking at them through the lens of real science that force has to go somewhere. Hypothetically a real shield would express the majority of that force onto the shield generator, which would just mean that parachute-less base-jumping in one would just result in your suit exploding and then you slamming into the ground (or rather you pancaking inside of your suit, then it exploding into pieces, and then you slamming into the ground). Without something to apply a force on you over a longer period of time (be that gravity manipulation, rockets, or what have you) it's not going to make a difference.
I would guess that the force might be absorbed by the shield as a sort of wave until it can be neutralized by destructive interference and/or radiated as energy.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:10:27 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3047 on: April 12, 2015, 12:21:22 am »

The impact would nonetheless probably burst everything in the body. It's not like asteroids remain intact after crashlanding, right? I don't think having empty or full cavities would significatively affect the outcome, given the ammount of force involved.
Yeah, the idea isn't to make you totally impervious to harm, it's to greatly increase your resistance to it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3048 on: April 12, 2015, 02:39:37 am »

Obvious scifi answer is obvious.  Reduce the mass of the falling object. It would still have the kinetic energy initially imparted to it, but the kinetic energy would not grow nearly as high during the fall, because mutual gravitational attraction would be less.  Rate of acceleration would remain constant, but total energy would be significantly lower.

How? We are talking about fictional force-sheilds and hard-light bridges in this universe, as well as self-propogating energy waves that can decimate all living things in an entire galaxy, and anti-gravity tech is fully present in the form of the elevators and other superfunhappythings in all those ruins.  Negating the mass of the occupant in the suit would render the fall from orbit quite survivable, as long as the deflector shield kept the ionizing badness of the reentry off the suit's exterior.

Problem solved.

(For all we know, that's HOW the shield works! Energy and bullets lobbed at it would still have their total energy load, but the energy needed to redirect the projectile would be greatly reduced by altering its mass.  You only need to alter the vector of the projectile to make it veer off target to avoid having to deal with it hitting and killing you. It would explain why it (the tech) has problems with heavy focused kinetic impactors, like the sniper rifle. Takes out elites with just a few shots. However, the falling body would have significantly more kinetic energy behind it than a .50 cal slug. Re-entry might be a combination of altering occupant mass combined with the increased drag coefficient of that reduced mass on the conserved surface area of the falling object. )
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 02:49:16 am by wierd »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3049 on: April 12, 2015, 05:39:19 am »

Couldn't you hypothetically build a working warp-drive if you harnessed the ability to project these particles in a given space, removing mass and thus instantly teleporting you I guess?

What I'm saying is you would just have to remove or restore these particles, using a computerized algorithm of some sorts and btw I thought the higgs boson was what game things mass?

Could he get a thorough, friendly answer, or at least directions to where they're stored? No point in castigating the innocent, and I'd like to have more of a clue myself. Note: not complaining about pictures.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3050 on: April 12, 2015, 05:47:00 am »

Well, the simple answer is "no". The long answer is... AFAIK, the Higgs field doesn't give mass to all particles (most notably protons/neutrons, which get most of their mass from gluon binding energy). Computerized algorithms ain't magic. Warp drive requires a space of negative energy density, which requires stuff that doesn't exist.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: April 12, 2015, 06:50:26 am »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:31:32 pm by penguinofhonor »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: April 12, 2015, 08:47:22 am »

Well, the simple answer is "no". The long answer is... AFAIK, the Higgs field doesn't give mass to all particles (most notably protons/neutrons, which get most of their mass from gluon binding energy). Computerized algorithms ain't magic. Warp drive requires a space of negative energy density, which requires stuff that doesn't exist.

Thanks, didn't know about gluons.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 11:52:09 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: April 12, 2015, 10:57:58 am »

Can you give me a thorough, friendly answer about how to create a Heisenburg compensator? Or at least directions to where they're stored?

Well it's not as hard as you may think. You just need a few specialty parts, and a conceptual understanding of what you're doing. I'll start with the parts. Once you have your Heisensensor in place, you can Heisenmorph the Heisenwaves using a Heisen-Regulator, and from there your Heisenputer will do most of the Heisenprocessing. As far as the math goes, you just have to be able to find the theory that underlies quantum mechanics so you can rely on precise particle positions, instead of clunky old statistical information. That theory is called Heisenheisen. Most of the time the Heisenberg compensators are stored just beneath the transporter pad; they need to be nice and close to the pad to Heisenate the Heisenspace.

... Lederheisen.

p.s. have we had a discussion on Bell's inequalities and its violation by QM yet in this thread? I only recently joined and there're far too many pages to read them all
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 11:19:00 am by Tylui »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: April 12, 2015, 11:54:52 am »

Can you give me a thorough, friendly answer about how to create a Heisenburg compensator? Or at least directions to where they're stored?

Well it's not as hard as you may think. You just need a few specialty parts, and a conceptual understanding of what you're doing. I'll start with the parts. Once you have your Heisensensor in place, you can Heisenmorph the Heisenwaves using a Heisen-Regulator, and from there your Heisenputer will do most of the Heisenprocessing. As far as the math goes, you just have to be able to find the theory that underlies quantum mechanics so you can rely on precise particle positions, instead of clunky old statistical information. That theory is called Heisenheisen. Most of the time the Heisenberg compensators are stored just beneath the transporter pad; they need to be nice and close to the pad to Heisenate the Heisenspace.

Those are expensive. Can't you make do with a statistical flux capacitor? After that, a smith who can fabricate a foot-long surgical-quality needle, an acrobat who can do both wide-spar and high-rope, and a swimmer who is fluent in Serioli should suffice to pull the rest out
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: April 12, 2015, 12:07:36 pm »

You're both awful engineers, KISS. Just reverse the neutron polarity and call it a day.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: April 12, 2015, 12:10:55 pm »

What?! Without a turboencabulator with a reciprocating dingle arm attached??

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: April 12, 2015, 12:14:38 pm »

I reversed the polarity of my neutrons, but nothing happened!!

Did you mean reverse the spin?! 

(a few years later)

I reversed all the spins in my neutrons, but it didnt do anything either! Sometimes when I hadnt been perfect in getting it exactly reversed, the neutron would spontaneously decay, but that's not the same as antimass! 

(a few more years later)

DAMNIT! LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!!!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: April 12, 2015, 12:40:56 pm »

I reversed the polarity of my neutrons, but nothing happened!!

Did you mean reverse the spin?! 

(a few years later)

I reversed all the spins in my neutrons, but it didnt do anything either! Sometimes when I hadnt been perfect in getting it exactly reversed, the neutron would spontaneously decay, but that's not the same as antimass! 

(a few more years later)

DAMNIT! LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!!!
Well, you clearly reversed your polarity *wrong* then. If I had to guess, you didn't shield the machine from discomombulatory neutrino intradisrecombination.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: April 12, 2015, 09:38:21 pm »

I accidentally the Higgs Boson.

Is this dangerous?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 339