Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490935 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #3915 on: June 26, 2016, 10:19:50 am »

Wait, what? What's the point? What is so "patriotic" about that?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: June 26, 2016, 10:22:04 am »

I was looking up 1C on wiki, and:

On the internal Russian market, 1C is considered a leader in business software as well, however game software represents 98% of the 13 tons of software they have been reported as shipping daily.

Russia stronk. Ship software by the tons to power coal-fire computer!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: June 26, 2016, 10:33:09 am »

Because it's in Russian. Seriously, that's the only reason.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3918 on: June 26, 2016, 10:44:43 am »

Is it easier to teach Russians programming in Russian? That's the most logical reason I can think of for doing that

Also lol, reminds me of when Putin sent one of your guys into London to do completely 100% super ethical business, when his son Andrei applied for a British passport Putin fired him, because the guy in charge of Russian railways could not control his son from becoming angloboo

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: June 26, 2016, 10:49:17 am »

Is it easier to teach Russians programming in Russian? That's the most logical reason I can think of for doing that
hahahahahahaahaaaaa

no no it is not, Russian language is extremely badly suited for programming purposes, no one actually tries to teach 1C as far as I've seen anywhere outside of courses heavily specialized in programming.
._.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: June 28, 2016, 03:18:37 am »

hahahahahahaahaaaaa

no no it is not, Russian language is extremely badly suited for programming purposes, no one actually tries to teach 1C as far as I've seen anywhere outside of courses heavily specialized in programming.

What?  I mean, like, maybe if there's encoding problems? But i don't think that's an actual issue. No written langauge is any better for coding than any other, it's a bit ridiculous to claim otherwise.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: June 28, 2016, 03:21:41 am »

So now AI doesn't even need a supercomputer to beat fleshminds. In combat, no less. I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: June 28, 2016, 03:24:35 am »

Humans have such completely awful reaction times compared to computers that I'm surprised anyone is surprised that computers are better than them at anything requiring quick reactions at all.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: June 28, 2016, 04:01:46 am »

Humans have such completely awful reaction times compared to computers that I'm surprised anyone is surprised that computers are better than them at anything requiring quick reactions at all.
It's actually not about reactions, that ALPHA AI beat the human by using clever positioning. There is a link in the article to the research paper, you can read how it fights, and it's not very dependent on its faster reaction time.
._.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: June 28, 2016, 04:45:16 am »

That's goddamn terrifying.

I remember back when I used to play Armored Core all the time on the PS1/PS2, and the way I could feel out certain advantages the different AI opponents had so I could do things like trigger them to drop to the ground and plunk a grenade right on top of them as they did so.

Then you get to Nineball, has all the cheat options on, better turning, better generator, all that jazz, so you really gotta ride around in the spaces defined by what he can't shoot right now, or abuse the parking garage and his tendency to try to fly everywhere, until they corrected that with Ninebreaker.

One of my favorite duels with him in the garage had us both dumping ammo into the pillars to no effect, and wound up coming down to our laser blades, we both started hacking and shooting the energy wave sub-attacks past each other and I was only able to clip him because I was willing to turn completely until I couldn't see him except on radar, and slide sideways/almost backwards long enough to clip his hitbox and trigger a swing while he was still trying to circle strafe, letting me slam my blade into his side.

From the sounds of it, ALPHA could come up with shit like that on it's own, deliberately taking a less optimal stance/approach/position to trigger a response and capitalize on it, which AI has always been shit at in my experience.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: June 28, 2016, 06:57:23 am »

For those worried about helium reserves,  they found a whole lot more in Tanazia. It's maybe twice as much helium as the US supplies, which is going to be interesting.

Anyway, people are talking highly about it.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: June 28, 2016, 07:05:12 am »

For those worried about helium reserves,  they found a whole lot more in Tanazia. It's maybe twice as much helium as the US supplies, which is going to be interesting.

Anyway, people are talking highly about it.
At last, the commercial airship fleet makes sense.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: June 28, 2016, 07:28:52 am »

It's actually not about reactions, that ALPHA AI beat the human by using clever positioning. There is a link in the article to the research paper, you can read how it fights, and it's not very dependent on its faster reaction time.

:v AI that can plan and not just react to humans is truly kinda scary.
Apparently the damn thing doesn't even use binary, instead using a variation of fuzzy code, which is language based. If we could adapt the method to use with other, more mundane applications, then we could prob run heavy applications on cheap hardware. The problem would be actualy writing code for it :v
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 07:39:42 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3929 on: June 28, 2016, 08:28:08 am »

More important question, when can we apply this AI tech to Hearts of Iron 4 to make the AI not suck?

In other words, how far away are commercial/practical applications?
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 339