Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490666 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4005 on: July 12, 2016, 07:51:11 pm »

OK let's return to the totally serious prior discussion of a man under a nuclear explosion

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: July 12, 2016, 08:23:11 pm »

They actually did that once. A group of like five guys stood under an atom bomb when it was detonated for science purposes.

Of course, it was like a .0025kt air-to-air nuke detonated at high altitude, but still.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: July 12, 2016, 09:00:42 pm »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: July 18, 2016, 02:58:12 pm »

Where IBM managed 25 years ago to painstakingly write their name in xenon-atoms, a team of the Kavli institute for Nanophysics at the Dutch university of Delft has managed to write a complete speech of Richard Feynman on an invisibly small surface using 60000 chloride atoms.

In 1959 Feynman said, in a famous 'There's plenty of room at the bottom' speech that "if we can use atoms, we have all the space in the world"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27s_Plenty_of_Room_at_the_Bottom.

Researcher Sander Otte say "this is our tribute to Feynman".
The technique developed promises to be a stepping stone towards a new way of data storage.

The 'atom memory' of the Delft team has room for about 1 kilobyte of text, using a technique that looks like some kind of braille, and works by shifting some of the chloride atoms in a matrix. This isn't much in our age of terabytes, but what is remarkable, is that it uses 500 times less surface area to store the 1kb than current memory chips use.

"What our research shows is, that we can now really control matter at the atom scale".
His team has been researching the transition from particle physics to effects in materials.
"The transition can be surprisingly abrupt", Otte says. "Sometimes you add one or two magnetic atoms, and suddenly you have a true microscopic magnet."

Arranging atoms used to be an extreme laboratory challenge, with scanning tunneling microscopes playing the main part. These are complex machines which have microscopic needles that can be positioned extremely close to a surface, using computer guidance. The needles can then pick up individual atoms and move them to a new location.
Otte's team uses chloride atoms on a copper surface, because that forms weak, but stable bonds. This allows the tunneling microscope's needle to drag the atoms to any location of choice using a weak current.

The team wrote a 'programming language' which allows them to write any text on their chip, fully automated.
The Feynman text took a full week of shuffling atoms.

Otte acknowledges that it's not a very time-efficient way of storing data.
"I don't say that we should start storing our data like this. But instead of using existing techniques to make smaller and smaller chips, we decided to work on a new approach from the bottom up. It is a new approach, and it works."

The study has been published in today's editon of Nature Nanotechnology. In the same edition, US scientist Steven Erwin writes in a commentary that he is impressed. "This is a factor 100 to a thousand times as compact as a flash drive or hard disk. That is - to put it mildly -  remarkable"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/delftse-chlooratomen-vormen-supergeheugen~a4341738/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:02:36 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: July 18, 2016, 04:11:27 pm »

What about that crystal storage device that could get a terabyte of space into a small crystal the size of a thumbnail? o-o
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: July 18, 2016, 06:08:38 pm »

Oh, is it write-once only? I thought I heard people talking about using it as hard drives and the like.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: July 18, 2016, 06:10:40 pm »

That was his impression.

If it isn't, we're on to something.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: July 18, 2016, 06:16:41 pm »

With quantum computing a possibility, am I the only one thinking quantum data storage crystal?
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: July 18, 2016, 10:14:40 pm »

How do you even read the crystal without the other layers getting in the way?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: July 18, 2016, 11:17:03 pm »

How do you even read the crystal without the other layers getting in the way?

Pshaw, who wants to READ data? The important thing is that the data is THERE. Masterfully encoded in a tiny little space by SCIENCE.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: July 19, 2016, 04:41:22 am »

I am angry at greatorder because I did a ddg search for "self healing crystals" out of curiosity and it comes up with nonsense fairycrap.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: July 19, 2016, 09:38:52 am »

Finally, a use for oregonite.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: July 19, 2016, 09:46:22 am »

What ype of crystals do they use? Could you have them grow inside the computer as you need new ones? Though, I assume they need to be prepared or something beforehand.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: July 19, 2016, 10:33:09 am »

The point of the crystal storage thing is that, once the technique is better developed, you'd be able to write huge amounts of data on a comparatively small and inexpensive crystal thing that doesn't suffer from the problems that magnetic storage has (IE fragility and decaying over time). You prob wouldn't be able to rewrite stuff into it, but why even rewrite when you can just have multiple crystals with tons of data storage capacity? Also the data would last longer than you as long as the crystal remained intact, and it would never be damaged by stuff like EMP and magnets :v
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 339