Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490645 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4125 on: July 28, 2016, 11:51:30 am »

Well, shit. I guess I should revoke my physics education card.

time to hit the AI books
._.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: August 06, 2016, 02:40:09 am »

https://arxiv.org/abs/1608.01316

Remember that star with the spikes of rapid onset and weirdly sustained dimming that was found in the Kepler data, KIC 8462852?

People started speculating about it being a partial Dyson structure and all that right away of course, various other explanations range from comet family collisions, polar spot growth, and so forth right?

Well... it's weirder than we thought, and has been dimming over the Kepler dataset, with a very rapid rate for that type of star (F3V) initially, then changing to a more rapid rate later, which is totally not what these stars are supposed to do. These results were found after analysis of photometric data over the last century or so suggested it has been dimming for a long time.

Wut?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: August 06, 2016, 04:05:30 am »

didn't they discover that a good part of the historical dimming was due to the change in instruments in the last couple of centuries?

I wonder if we will ever know for sure what is happening up there.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: August 06, 2016, 08:18:47 am »

How have I not heard of this...

Quote from: the first sentence before you click
The 750 GeV diphoton excess in particle physics is an anomaly in data from the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in 2015, which could be an indication of a new particle or resonance....
News update: Sorry, Folks. The LHC Didn’t Find a New Particle After All.

Standard Model reigns supreme!
._.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: August 06, 2016, 09:30:14 am »

What a waste of effort.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: August 06, 2016, 10:39:59 am »

If science always uncover earth-shattering revelations, then that would be pretty shitty science.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: August 06, 2016, 04:55:45 pm »

What a waste of effort.

Saying that relies on a basic misunderstanding of science and the process of a whole. Thinking that way is completely worthless for science in general, such an incredibly toxic way of thinking that it would be better not talking about science at all.

I'm not saying that's what you should do, only that you should stop thinking that way.

Negative results are exactly as important as positive ones. A negative result still brings forward understanding. Now we know quite specifically that the 750 GeV digamma excess is not the cause of a new particle--in fact, if I'm reading that right, it looks like it's a new interaction result for a very high energy proton pair interaction, which is also interesting.

As another example of a negative result being important: the Michelson-Morley experiment, to test what the speed of the Earth is relative to the luminiferous aether. We found the answer to be... not. The fact that this experiment was a catastrophic failure showed us that we had something wrong with our model and eventually helped bring along relativity.

On the other hand, the negative result at the LHC more shows us that our model is right, which is also a good result.

You may notice that anything that gets more data is a good result pretty much always. Even just redoing already-done experiments and getting the same result is important (in fact, it's one of the most important things in science--if an experiment isn't replicable, it's a worthless experiment, and the only way to test replicability is to replicate).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 05:00:02 pm by Putnam »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: August 06, 2016, 06:12:30 pm »

How have I not heard of this...

Quote from: the first sentence before you click
The 750 GeV diphoton excess in particle physics is an anomaly in data from the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in 2015, which could be an indication of a new particle or resonance....
News update: Sorry, Folks. The LHC Didn’t Find a New Particle After All.

Standard Model reigns supreme!
Screw wired and their popup crap: http://cds.cern.ch/record/2205245 there's the actual link which I got by deleting their adblock node and stopping all the extra loading from popping up before I could even find the linkthrough to the source.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: August 07, 2016, 09:44:36 am »

From deep inside a Siberian mine, researchers have catalogued a series of materials unlike any others yet found in the ground. They do, however, bear a startling similarity to certain lab-grown materials that weren’t thought to exist in nature at all—until now.

In the last few decades, chemists have been crafting a series of new materials in their labs called metal-organic frameworks, or MOFs. These materials are “molecular sponges,” capable of soaking up gases like hydrogen or carbon dioxide—even storing them for future use, like a cell. A new paper in Science Advances reveals that not only are these materials also found in nature, we’ve had them in our hands for over 70 years. We just didn’t know what they were.

._.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: August 07, 2016, 09:57:17 am »

Wake me up when they reclassify random quartz samples as dilithium...  ;)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: August 07, 2016, 11:03:23 am »

[Peace Through Power Intensifies]
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: August 07, 2016, 12:41:28 pm »

IN THE NAME OF KANE
(KANE LIVES IN DEATH)
IN THE NAME OF KANE
(KANE LIVES IN DEATH)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: August 07, 2016, 02:46:46 pm »

IN THE NAME OF KANE
(KANE LIVES IN DEATH)
IN THE NAME OF KANE
(KANE LIVES IN DEATH)

Spoiler: KANE LIVES! (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: August 08, 2016, 10:18:04 pm »

To get things slightly back on topic, interesting new camera from NASA actually allows filming of details in the exhaust plume of a rocket. I'll be the first to admit this is more clever engineering than SCIENCE!, but it will no doubt be useful in the future.

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: August 08, 2016, 10:20:28 pm »

That is cool.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 339