Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490856 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4755 on: January 27, 2017, 05:17:19 am »

Natural Killer (NK) cells are already a thing, you want to avoid confusion.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4756 on: January 27, 2017, 07:59:43 am »

my umderstanding is that the one getting approved soonish is Novartis', which is patient specific...

Whoops! Did a quick reread, and edited the post accordingly. Still, I'm really interested to see how far we can push Engineered Immune Cells as a technology. I'd love to see widespread ways to teach people's immune systems to fight disease without needing individual vaccines, or more varieties of cells that are engineered to attack other hard-to-treat illnesses.

Well, concerning CAR T Cell therapy:

AFAIK  the ongoing research goes around improving the antitumor response by adding stimulating factors to the chimeric antigen receptor, and looking for new targets to engineer CAR-T cells around (eg: other haematological neoplasms, solid tumors). My erstwhile boss told me a while ago that one CAR-T Cell expert he had talked to had mentioned that another mid-to-long term goal would be transfecting more than one receptor type per cell, thus achieving multitarget CAR-Ts (worth noting that while my former boss is something of a transplantation guru, at least back then he did not work with CARTs himself. This might have changed in the last two years though).

Worth noting that CAR-T cell therapy is not without it's side effects. Most notably huge cytokine storms (even nastier than the ones in allo-HSCT) when the cells start killing the tumor, to the extent that in the US there's an experimental monoclonal antibody to try to deal with them. There's also some off-target toxicity and GvHD (I talked with an oncologist in London who was working in CAR-T-Cells in solid tumors, and she was specially concerned about this). And Juno Therapeutics had to stop their own anti-CD19 trial because they had a number of cases of people dying of some weird neurotoxic effect.  Also, AFAIK in the leukemia trials they try to consolidate the responses with HSCT anyway, to prevent relapses by CD-19-negative clones.

Nonetheless this is a type of therapy that is very promising, and I like the subject a lot  :)

There's a very interesting review of the subject that I just downloaded from here. I'm reading through it at the moment. :)

I'd really like to be able to get a foot in a project of this sort...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:03:39 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: January 27, 2017, 09:08:29 am »

METALLIC HYDROGEN NIGGAS! Woot woot

That's a room temperature superconductor, in case ya didn't know.

There's still some doubt over it, or it may be legit with caveats such as decaying once the diamond screws are loosened.

TOO LATE FOR THE HYPE TRAIN
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:50:21 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4758 on: January 27, 2017, 09:13:34 am »

I need a thermal superconducting pillowcase so I can dip one end in a bucket of icewater and have a forevercold pillow.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4759 on: January 27, 2017, 09:15:32 am »

Even with it requiring the diamond anvils in place, (diamond is an interesting industrial material that is getting easier and easier to work with concerning vapor based deposition) it may be possible to form channels in CVD diamond chips, then "crush" hydrogen into them using a low temp  superfluid hydrogen and another diamond anvil. That would give you a room temp superconductor, right next to a high bandgap semiconductor.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4760 on: January 27, 2017, 03:12:06 pm »

What's this about T-cells and narratives?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: January 27, 2017, 03:45:49 pm »

METALLIC HYDROGEN NIGGAS! Woot woot

That's a room temperature superconductor, in case ya didn't know.

There's still some doubt over it, or it may be legit with caveats such as decaying once the diamond screws are loosened.

TOO LATE FOR THE HYPE TRAIN

you may wanna fix those links, the first one should link to this article

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4762 on: January 27, 2017, 04:20:44 pm »

Both links went to the same place and neither mentioned metallic hydrogen, much less room temperature metallic hydrogen, but Putnam just covered that.

It's interesting, but before holy grailing it, remember two things: diamond anvils, and exciting rocket fuel.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: January 27, 2017, 06:55:12 pm »

How exciting.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: January 27, 2017, 08:14:46 pm »

Indeed, Isp of ~1750 or so is close to 4 times that of the propellant we used to chuck space shuttles into orbit.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: January 27, 2017, 08:23:07 pm »

-amoeba bacteria symbiosis-

This is extremely likely how we came to have mitochondria and chloroplasts, and is one of the theories. Sure, they both barely resemble their bacterial ancestors, but both of them have DNA and grow and divide just like bacteria do. It's pretty much the ultimate symbiote situation, except one side has all but lost it's 'identity' as a bacteria.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:30:08 pm by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: January 28, 2017, 07:33:05 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty cool that they saw what is basically that in the lab. The amoebas are now dependent on the bacteria being there. Additionally, since they now inhabit a very specific type of amoeba these bacteria might in fact lose the ability to move into "normal" amoebas. I should probably link a source however because the claims are pretty big (1995 paper):

BTW two independent teams at Harvard and University of Maryland have simultaneously reported the creation of "time crystals" (structures which repeat in both time and space, i.e. the undulate) using very different materials to make them, based on a theory that was recently published:
https://science.slashdot.org/story/17/01/28/2027253/scientist-investigate-a-brand-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals
Obviously this needs to be replicated further, but two completely different teams doing it at the same time, from stuff that is completely different and getting the same result which matches the theory, that in itself ticks the right boxes.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 11:14:36 pm by Reelya »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4767 on: January 28, 2017, 07:43:06 pm »

Yeah, it's pretty cool that they saw what is basically that in the lab. The amoebas are now dependent on the bacteria being there. Additionally, since they now inhabit a very specific type of amoeba these bacteria might in fact lose the ability to move into "normal" amoebas. I should probably link a source however because the claims are pretty big (1995 paper):

BTW two independent teams at Harvard and University of Maryland have simultaneously reported the creation of "time crystals" (structures which repeat in both time and space, i.e. the undulate) using very different materials to make them, based on a theory that was recently published:
https://science.slashdot.org/story/17/01/28/2027253/scientist-investigate-a-brand-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals
Obviously this needs to be replicated further, but two completely different teams doing it at the same time, from stuff that is completely different and getting the same result which marches the theory, that in itself ticks the right boxes.
perpetual motion crystals?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: January 28, 2017, 09:29:24 pm »

That's what you'd think but it's a different thing.

They used a good example in the article there: tap a chunk of jello with your finger at a steady rate and you expect it to wobble in time with the taps, Discrete Time Crystals (DTC) exhibit a different period than the input alone should produce, so it exhibits behavior which isn't reversable in time like most things actually are. Dropping an egg and having it shatter is normal, and having a splattered egg reform and fly into the air is not normal.

At the subatomic scale though, you get things which happen one way and know that sooner or later you'll observe it happening the other way, your accelerator makes a particle split into a neutrino and muon, at some point you'll observe a muon and neutrino come together and produce that particle.

In a DTC you're getting behaviors which only take place one way in time, the crystal atoms are pulsed and begin to resonate, and then start to exhibit a different resonant period from the pulses used to initiate it, which isn't something you can reverse to generate a chain of atoms that stop resonating in that way and settle into a regular periodic cycle without using a completely different method, if it is even possible at all.

If you did set up something to produce the later form of a DTC and had it evolve to the prior form, it wouldn't work when reversed like everything else does in physics, hence it is a broken symmetry.

A crystal like in a gem doesn't have an arrangement you would expect, evenly spaced and randomly distributed elements, instead it has the property that certain directions and arrangements are favored, so it exhibits a broken rotational or translational symmetry from certain directions but not others. Rotating a series of events through time and not having them operate the same way is new.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 09:35:45 pm by Max™ »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: January 28, 2017, 09:52:38 pm »

another source for the metal hydrogen if anyone's interested:
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/01/80-years-late-scientists-finally-turn-hydrogen-into-a-metal/

"Diamond failure," they note, "is the principal limitation for achieving the required pressures to observe SMH," where SMH means "solid metallic hydrogen" rather than "shaking my head."
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 339