Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 490790 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #4920 on: March 17, 2017, 09:55:14 pm »

well for one the lower you go the more density you have so the same temperature gas contains more energy in the same area so it will likely always be hotter in that way
More energy in the same volume (for a given temperature), yes. P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2, and all that. But that's with the same temperature, by the very definition of your example.  "Hotter in that way" is "not hotter in temperature, just has more energy i it".

you can observe the effects of expansional cooling and contractile heating quite easily with an air compressor.
And yet a compressed air bottle (containing compressed air, initially warmed by the concentration) can be as cool to the touch as any such 'unfilled' bottle would be, given the environment it has been in contact with for any reasonable time

An atmosphere has not just been gravitationally collapsed around a planet.  Heat gradients in one are no longer due to any significant latent heat from the initial compression of gasses. Any such signal is swamped by millenia/billenia of geothermal energy from below and solar energy from above. All smudged around on a day-by-day basis by the conductive and convective heat distribution provided by the weather it causes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: March 17, 2017, 10:42:43 pm »

Related concepts:

Heat of crystallization
enthalpy

Temperature of (parts of) a system can change, as a result of phase change, even at the same pressure. (See for instance, with water at the triple point.) This happens with no net change in energy of the system being observed.  This is similar to the heat of crystallization, and its cognate, the reduction of heat from melting crystals.  Essentially, (entropic) energy cannot be stored as efficiently in more orderly materials than it can in less orderly materials, and when the material assumes a more orderly state, it expels/excludes some of that kinetic energy (heat.) Conversely, when a more orderly system assumes a less orderly arrangement, it absorbs energy from its environment to assume that state.

EG, when water freezes, the formation of the ice subtly increases the temperature of the remaining water that has not yet crystallized. The net energy of the "Ice + water" system remains unchanged, energy is just moved from the ice, into the remaining water, increasing the water's temperature.

I can see these phenomena causing turbulence currents inside gas giants, where a phase change layer (from pressure) causes thermal energy to be rapidly excluded from that layer, and dumped into the layer above, heating it up, and causing it to updraft strongly.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 11:15:50 pm by wierd »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: March 20, 2017, 10:28:01 am »

Note: the heat from gravitational collapse is not what I am talking about, but the distribution of pressure and temperature in a column of gas with an external energy input and acceleration due to gravity is not a mysterious concept. Potential energy and kinetic energy have a certain relationship in a gravity well, kinetic energy in a gas is a major component of the temperature of said parcel of gas, and guess where the kinetic energy is higher? Where the volume available to expand is lower, deeper inside the gravity well. Put those together and what do you get? Higher pressure, which means...
That a column of gas in a gravity well is warmest at the bottom isn't a theory, it's a fact, you can just observe it,
I did clarify that the sparse upper layers can be ridiculously hot because any given molecule is zooming around with little to lose energy against while being zapped with UV and such, as you go higher and drop below 0.1 bar you get the inversions in the chart there as density stratifications take over, direct UV deposition, even the magnetic field deforming layers plays a role in the temperatures up there. As far as creatures like us though, being adapted as we are to the bottom of an ocean of air, it's gonna be hard to tell the difference between the mesosphere and a vacuum.
If Venus had an atmosphere of, say, 99% nitrogen, it would as a matter of objective fact be cooler due to an inability to retain that level of heat.
I happened to remember seeing this worked out before, which is good, because I really don't have it in me to go back over all the studying and whatnot to make sure the math was sane before I even tried to start worrying about the calculations.

Both gases are diatomic with the same molar heat, but CO2 has higher molar mass so the specific heat used to calculate the lapse rate would be different accordingly, 44/28 means CO2 should have 1.57 times greater cooling per kilometer than N2, but that same mass ratio means it would sit about 1.57 times lower than N2, so the temperature change between the surface and the top of the adiabatic layer (a.k.a. the troposphere) should be roughly the same if you swap out CO2 for N2.
Earth probably could end up similar to Venus, millions of years after human extinction due to ecological collapse, were we to go that route. It is also possible that there could eventually be another carbon-rich period that would successfully arrest this cycle if our ultimate extinction didn't salt the Earth, but I say again, human extinction. Your hate-on for this basic comparison of how the greenhouse effect can change a planet baffles me. Nobody is seriously suggesting humans will face the threat of a 600 C surface because of climate change.
We would need to increase the mass of the atmosphere by 90 times in our death throes, this isn't something that just accidentally happens, especially with a water cycle in place busily dissolving gases out of the atmosphere and fixing them into sediments and so on.
Do you or do you not agree that the presence of carbon dioxide in a planetary atmosphere directly correlates with the heat retention of that atmosphere?
Well, Venus has something like 3000 to 5000 times as much CO2 (dealers choice, molar or mass percentage) at 92 times the pressure, so call it 270,000 to 460,000 higher concentration? According to Wolframalpha that's about 218 for either value, so what effect would 18 CO2 doublings have? If 2xCO2 gives a rise of 1.5 K that's 27 K warmer than here? Even if you proposed an outlandish value of 5 K per doubling we're still only looking at 90 K!

Does anybody wanna get behind the temperature increase per CO2 doubling being 22 K? Cause that will get you 400 K warmer than here, so that seems to be something of a pickle, doesn't it?

Sorry for the late reply, had to make sure I was out of rant mode and wouldn't start trying to convince anyone of anything, but questions with such interesting answers just beg for a response.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4923 on: March 24, 2017, 02:34:44 pm »

Anti-aging therapy stuff. Hot from the science-oven.

The approach is interesting - rather than try to save every last cell, they're throwing the aged, senescent cells under the bus so they don't spoil the party for the rest, and turns out that even naturally-aged mice fare better.

I haven't read too much into the methods yet though, so not sure how overblown this might be. The target has been implicated in longevity earlier though, so there's some basis for hoping it at least helps a bit.

And the thing that makes me really happy is that it's actually a peptide, meaning you can just get the ol' syringeful of liquid in your bloodstream and get the benefits, rather than - like the Salk paper that was posted here a while back - requiring actual gene therapy to get working at this stage.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: March 24, 2017, 03:52:17 pm »

Anti-aging stuff is what I'm really the most interested in. I'm planning to live forever, you see, and stuff like that is super relevant to my interests.
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4925 on: March 24, 2017, 03:55:17 pm »

Anti-aging stuff is what I'm really the most interested in. I'm planning to live forever, you see, and stuff like that is super relevant to my interests.

I heard, "I plan on dying of physical injuries. Or suicide after being maimed."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4926 on: March 24, 2017, 03:57:27 pm »

I'm planning to live forever, you see
But barring that, you'd settle for a couple thousand years?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4928 on: March 24, 2017, 04:14:45 pm »

I heard, "I plan on dying of physical injuries. Or suicide after being maimed."
Personally I would not be opposed to becoming a cyborg should such a thing occur.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4929 on: March 24, 2017, 04:34:36 pm »

I suspect biological prostheses will become available at a similar time to functional cybernetic prostheses, and while they might not let you acquire superhuman abilities, they'll be your own flesh and blood.  No need to recharge batteries, no need to perform maintenance.  Just get a new arm, leg or pancreas grown and attached.

I'm really interested in seeing where anti-aging research takes us in the next few years.  In particular, I'm wondering if we'll be able to solve diseases like Alzheimer's disease soon as well.  It wouldn't do us much good to be able to live 200 years and grow new lungs if our brains are destined to fail before our bodies.  Can't grow a new brain.

Or solve cancer, for that matter.  Maybe cancer is destined to happen eventually, even with longevity treatments, due to mistakes in DNA copying and repair.  Again, doesn't do us much good to keep our bodies from wearing out for 200 years if we're going to get cancer in our 70s anyway.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4930 on: March 24, 2017, 05:01:12 pm »

We have better and better prosthetics now, or do you mean like fully wired into the nervous system?

Growing a new brain which is more powerful than our old one would be nice, and if you do it in situ you could ignore the whole ship of theseus problem.

I've got no specific attachment to my meat, I'd rather have the sensorium installed in a more durable and repairable shell. Not having to eat and sleep and such unless desired would be nice, though you probably would need periodic sleep if we couldn't figure out how to do a sorta garbage collection/sorting process while still awake.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4931 on: March 24, 2017, 05:29:52 pm »

Why not put your brain in a case surrounded by 15 feet of armor a mile underground, where it's statistically unlikely that any external forces could harm it?
At that point, you just use bodies through remote control.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4932 on: March 24, 2017, 05:57:41 pm »

So, basically Cortex Command?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4933 on: March 24, 2017, 06:07:15 pm »

Exactly.
brb, gotta order 9999 crabs from orbit
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4934 on: March 24, 2017, 06:29:20 pm »

Why not put your brain in a case surrounded by 15 feet of armor a mile underground, where it's statistically unlikely that any external forces could harm it?
At that point, you just use bodies through remote control.
Telepresence is a nice option, but it will never be as responsive as a locally controlled shell. Having a local personality image while the main backup is elsewhere would be neat if we could hack it together but I'd be content with just ditching the meat before it rots around me.
Pages: 1 ... 327 328 [329] 330 331 ... 339