Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 339

Author Topic: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!  (Read 489807 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: SCIENCE, Gravitational waves, and the whole LIGO OST!
« Reply #5025 on: April 20, 2017, 01:10:02 pm »

A new studies into the naked mole rat has further baffled scientists with this amazing species.
The little mammal is already very special, in that it is immune to pain (no pain receptors), and immune to cancer, while living up to 30 years of age.

The new studies showed that they can go completely without any oxygen, without any damage to their organs or brain. When deprived of oxygen, the mammals metabolism switches to fructose anaerobic respiration, like plants do.

The researchers placed them in a tube containing no oxygen at all. After about 30 seconds, the animals passed out, and seemed to die. However, when oxygen was added 15 minutes later, the animals regained consciousness, and went about their daily lives again without any noticable damage.

When placed in a tube with low oxygen content, in which a human would die within minutes, the animals survived for over 5 hours.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:11:37 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: April 20, 2017, 01:31:52 pm »

and turtles are only oceanic in some places.

Well, you can't be oceanic on firm land, can you? Of course they'll only be oceanic in the ocean.  :P
I mean in like the UK I think the word tortoise is used for everything except sea turtles and the like.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: April 20, 2017, 02:59:14 pm »

"So how was your day?"
'Got sick of trying to suffocate naked mole rats and clocked out, yours?'
"Uh, I just did... normal work stuff."

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: April 20, 2017, 03:34:14 pm »

If I had to choose what type of radioactive animal to get bitten by, naked mole rats would be at the top of the list. I swear they've got all the good adaptations.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: April 20, 2017, 04:05:51 pm »

Would save you the time shaving. Or waxing.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: April 21, 2017, 09:32:42 am »

Growing a beard solves both those problems too, freeing me up to pick something with wings!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: April 21, 2017, 10:17:45 am »

A new studies into the naked mole rat has further baffled scientists with this amazing species.
The little mammal is already very special, in that it is immune to pain (no pain receptors), and immune to cancer, while living up to 30 years of age.

The new studies showed that they can go completely without any oxygen, without any damage to their organs or brain. When deprived of oxygen, the mammals metabolism switches to fructose anaerobic respiration, like plants do.

The researchers placed them in a tube containing no oxygen at all. After about 30 seconds, the animals passed out, and seemed to die. However, when oxygen was added 15 minutes later, the animals regained consciousness, and went about their daily lives again without any noticable damage.

When placed in a tube with low oxygen content, in which a human would die within minutes, the animals survived for over 5 hours.
What the....
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: April 21, 2017, 11:50:32 am »

Makes sense to me. They're burrowers, and that's a useful adaptation to have for being underground, where oxygen can be scarce.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: April 21, 2017, 12:01:15 pm »

Also, pretty sure humans can also get the "immunity to pain" thing. It's called congenital analgesia, and it's a very debilitating disorder. No pain = no immediate safety reflex = constant vigilance against anything that could harm your body. You can't be "hurt," but your body can still be harmed. You just don't have a warning system for it.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: April 21, 2017, 12:29:01 pm »

Also, pretty sure humans can also get the "immunity to pain" thing. It's called congenital analgesia, and it's a very debilitating disorder. No pain = no immediate safety reflex = constant vigilance against anything that could harm your body. You can't be "hurt," but your body can still be harmed. You just don't have a warning system for it.

Yeah I actually read an article on that. I think the popsci was referencing this paper. It was pretty awesome that we've discovered the issue.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: April 22, 2017, 07:34:23 am »

Heck, you don't even need total immunity to pain to need to be incredibly vigilant about getting hurt. I discovered the hard way that I am extremely resistant to pain, and that way was the total collapse of my left lung and partial collapse of my right lung, simultaneously, feeling "merely" like I was being poked between the ribs.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: April 25, 2017, 04:46:43 am »

Meet Steve, whom nobody had noticed before.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: April 25, 2017, 07:51:28 am »

Microbial colonists of "mini-mothra" present efficient mechanism for rapid decomposition of plastics.

Or, how microbiologists and etymologists discovered a solution for the pacific gyre (and doom anything made of plastic)
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39694553

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: April 25, 2017, 08:03:26 am »

They're nowhere near practical application though. Now they need to find which enzyme(s) enable it to depolymerise the plastics, and find a way to produce it in meaningful quantities.
(The article in my newspaper has some numbers. It would take 100 worms 100 days to digest a single 20 gram plastic bag.)
http://www.volkskrant.nl/wetenschap/oplossing-voor-plasticberg-is-het-nog-niet-wel-interessant-deze-rups-eet-plastic~a4490514/

Still, nice find.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:05:43 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: April 25, 2017, 08:13:45 am »

All they need to do is make transgenic yeast, and it's on like donkey kong.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 339