Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What execution would you prefer?

Labor camp
- 4 (20%)
List of choices (would you like to be killed by woodchipper, firing squad, gascambers...)
- 8 (40%)
Choose how to die (with restrictions, or course, no "I want to be nuked in the dining hall")
- 6 (30%)
Generic Lethal injection
- 1 (5%)
Electroshock
- 0 (0%)
Life in prison
- 0 (0%)
Other (Specify)
- 1 (5%)
No opinion
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 192

Author Topic: The Bay12 Space program - Open discussion  (Read 322130 times)

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How many people play DF?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2012, 11:51:12 pm »

At least it's spreading. :)
I noticed more and more videos popping up on youtube in other languages. It's really gone worldwide ...

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 07:29:04 am »

We need to create Replicants to populate this offworld DF colony.

I recall this came up in DF talk one time and Toady said about  200 people practically live on the forum and the downloads of new releases are a few thousand.  Maybe he sad that, or maybe he didn't and maybe my memory is horrible.  I'd check the transcripts.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2012, 07:37:44 am »

We need to create Replicants to populate this offworld DF colony.

I recall this came up in DF talk one time and Toady said about  200 people practically live on the forum and the downloads of new releases are a few thousand.  Maybe he sad that, or maybe he didn't and maybe my memory is horrible.  I'd check the transcripts.
CHECK THEM QUICKLY!
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2012, 07:45:37 am »

I spend a lot of time talking about the random things I do on Df on my bus rides every moring/night.

A whole hour of nothing but Df, !!Science!! And all the fun stuff. Or the odd nap.

I'm either corrupting there minds, Or getting somewhere.

I think I bring in 1-5 people a day. To at least try the game.. Other then that I don't know if they still do.
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2012, 07:47:39 am »

Not even Toady knows how many people play the game. The question comes up frequently in interviews, and he never has a clue because
a) there are two download mirrors, so he doesn't know the exact downloads, and
b) not everyone who downloads the game plays it.

But hey, the forum has about 65000 members, so if you say "several thousand", that's not far off.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 08:00:18 am »

3 guys play df
the OP, you, and another guy whose identity must remain hidden are the only people capable of playing it. the last guy is the one who sends us his videos, screenshots and stories so we can all pretend we play df too. we're also constantly downloading the latest version of df in every computer we get our hands to, to try and bloat the statistics

you're also the only person you know that actually exists, the reality you know is simulated. you're stuck in a vat in a supertechnological lab in the parauniverse

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 08:03:08 am »

In Soviet Russia, DF Plays YOU!!

That is all.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 10:14:07 am »

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.
Here it is how one could say how many people play any given game at all? Even mmorpg's are played not only on official servers, and to calculate all the downloads of say Portal from torrents is impossible task. Not to mention that more than one person can play on the same computer or people can share games without downloading them from any sites with counters.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 11:32:35 am »

I'm still onboard with the whole colonize mars thing.

I'll be the fisherman. People like fish right?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 12:02:56 pm »

YES! dERAILMEN!

A Massive computer complex is just what we need.The Caveman option is somewhat more palatable then test-tube children. Will we need livestock? All we really need is a pick, massive computer, anvil, glass dome of air. Migrants are unlikely. A propaganda program migh help us out in securing haulers, what with unemployment so high, someone will go for it. We could pool our resources to get all this, but since economy won't kick in, we should be fine.

Huh, we really have it all planned out. So who;s up for a embark to mars? Wait, someone find a decent site.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 12:31:41 pm »

What the hell are you people on and were can I get some
That's Dwarf fortress my man. Right on the front page of the site, you can't miss it.

You know, sometimes I think the best ways to introduce people to DF is send them a thread. Seriously, any Thread, Pick one.

What would we as criminals smuggle? Shrooms of course.

When the Colonization begins, I call dibs on Misko's test tube babies.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 12:38:55 pm »

YES! dERAILMEN!

A Massive computer complex is just what we need.The Caveman option is somewhat more palatable then test-tube children.

Come on now, test tube babies aren't all that bad. Just think about it, we could watch 'em grow, floating around in their little vats of nutrient-filled fluid. It'll be just like having a goldfish.

Ziga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »

Enough people to form a respectably sized organized crime syndicate, or launch a colonization effort on a nearby life-supporting planet.

In which case the colonization effort would be done carefully planned and in a very scientific manner, with the result that the planet would be no longer life-supporting.

ah derailment at it's finest
What catastrophic changes in elf society changed their tile from E to e?
Goblin snatchers stole their Shift-key.

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 01:02:17 pm »

83% of all statistics are made up.

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 01:08:20 pm »

83% of all statistics are made up.

That's a lie.

Or is it?

Most people can't tell.
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 192