Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691134 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Why, in the archeological sense, are ancient religions/beliefs/religious practices called cults?
Because they are using that meaning in the original meaning, and that's how they were referred to at the time. It just meant 'a bunch of guys worshipping some stuff', without connotations to size or moral standing of said bunch of guys. Specifically, it shares the origin with the word 'cultivate'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

because a cult is basically just another word for religion. its just usually used now days with a negative connotation (see definition 6).
There are notable exceptions though. The Catholic Church for example talks of the 'Cult of Mary', at least in German, where it is 'Marienkult'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

In French "culte" doesn't have the connotation "cult" does, but "secte" does.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

So I've screwed up my sleep cycle even more over the past few days.

I've been in your situation before. Rough it and go 24 hours without any sleep, and then sleep at a normal time like 11PM the day before your excursion. If you're a fairly sessile person it won't be as hard as you'd think. That'll work for one day but it won't get your sleep pattern back in check. For that, you'll need to keep it up for 3-4 days and go to sleep at 11PM over and over.

That's what I ended up doing, actually. Well, apart from the actually 'fixing my sleep schedule' part- I've done that in the past and it's great, but I've been too slack lately to get back into the habit.
That said, staying up for 24~ hours and then going to sleep at a normal time worked pretty well, I actually felt alright the next day. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

because a cult is basically just another word for religion. its just usually used now days with a negative connotation (see definition 6).
There are notable exceptions though. The Catholic Church for example talks of the 'Cult of Mary', at least in German, where it is 'Marienkult'.

What is the Cult of Mary? Is it some form of worship of Mary? Like the "hail Mary mother of God" type thing?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

It's the whole practice of worshipping Mary! Every form of worship of Mary is part of the Cult of Mary, really.

Similarly you could talk of the Cult of Saint XYZ, though that's less common.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there any scriptural basis for it? As in, why worship her? What do people believe she can do? Intercede on their behalf?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Is there any scriptural basis for it?
You need to free yourself of this Protestant mindset. Sola Scriptura is rejected by the Church as the nonsense that it is.

[...] why worship her? What do people believe she can do? Intercede on their behalf?
The same as all saints, really, so mostly what you said: Intercede on their behalf. As it says in the Litany of Saints, over and over:

Saint XYZ - pray for us.

The full version. It has a great hypnotic/meditative effect during the Easter Vigil.
The Bay12 postcard club

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I may not be faith driven, but the scripture is absolute. Catholicism borders on subjectivism, which may not be wrong, but isn't good for a religion that still claims it's following an absolutist God. Especially one who specifically states that the worshipping of false idols - saints - is rather bad. It's really only feasible if you accept that the Bible isn't the absolute word of God.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

It's really only feasible if you accept that the Bible isn't the absolute word of God.
Exactly! It's the word of God, as recorded by men. Why would God have stopped changing stuff about His religion 2000 years ago despite having done so in all millenia before that?
The Bay12 postcard club

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because he is absolute. His word does not change, only the format. Anything else is as a result of what Dawkins calls the "changing moral zeitgeist."
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

*The New Testament appears, rummages through your pockets, and walks off with both your point and a covenant.*

It's heading toward the religion thread! Chase after it!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is one of the most general threads you can find. I think it's safe to say such questioning is permitted.

*The New Testament appears, rummages through your pockets, and walks off with both your point and a covenant.*

The New Testament shows the changing moral zeitgeist, I believe. However, to most Christians it's the final word that had divinity, in one of its manifestations, behind it. Namely, Jesus. It's the last absolutist word that ought to be followed, and it only repaired God's previous word, highlighting which bits were more important. As such, Protestant absolutism is based on scripture which has divine meaning. The subectivisation of Catholicism is purely, and obviously, human based.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

However, to most Christians it's the final word that had divinity, in one of its manifestations, behind it.
Aren't there more Catholics than Protestants? And to Catholics the Vatican definitely counts as a 'divinely inspired' source.
The Bay12 postcard club

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Inspired, perhaps, but they still accept the fallibility of man.

Jesus wasn't, supposedly, inspired. He knew.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 638