Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686990 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile

I'm not exactly sure with Starbound multiplayer being active.

Let's just say Starbound's been in Early Access for... A year and a few months now? Maybe a year and a half.

Best way to play either is to grab a bunch of friends and start a new world anyway.

--------

Is it grammatically correct to use thus after a sentence?

"We have to attend to an event today, so there's no class, thus."

It's something bothering the back of my mind. Ugh.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

It's basically a double 'so'. It's redundant in this context, thus it makes you sound like you have a verbal tick, thus. And poi, I guess. :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is the singular for someone from Switzerland? Like I can say an American or a Germain but a Swiss dosent sound right.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile

A noncombatant.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile

As far as I know, Swiss is both the singular and plural.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

If you don't mind sounding a little* archaic, Switzer works.

*Well, it's only a few centuries out of date.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Pretty sure the answer is just a flat no. It's definitely something you wouldn't use in anything even remotely approaching normal use.

Thusly occasionally shows up in that context, but it's still fairly rare.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Pretty sure the answer is just a flat no. It's definitely something you wouldn't use in anything even remotely approaching normal use.

Thusly occasionally shows up in that context, but it's still fairly rare.
They are literally interchangable; thusly was a weird mutation of thus which sprang into existence in 1800s.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Except practically they're not, at least in every bit of writing I've encountered. I've literally never seen thus used in the way being discussed. Have seen thusly, very rarely.

Probably better to just not use either like that, though. They're approaching archaic at this point, and that particular use is more than a little clumsy.
Ask not!
Ask!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile

Except practically they're not, at least in every bit of writing I've encountered. I've literally never seen thus used in the way being discussed. Have seen thusly, very rarely.

Probably better to just not use either like that, though. They're approaching archaic at this point, and that particular use is more than a little clumsy.
Eh. IMO thus(ly) used as in 'like that/in that way' is sometimes more elegant wording than 'so', if you absolutely must phrase it that way.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

It's very close to the German word, Schweitzer. I approve, but I think 'Swiss' is the common term.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

It's very close to the German word, Schweitzer. I approve, but I think 'Swiss' is the common term.

That's partly where I know it from. Mostly from ancient works of literature, though. And "He/She is a Swiss" still doesn't sit right, and 'Switzer' is right in the country's name!

For the Americans and Europeans out there: how warm do you keep your houses in winter? Idle curiosity, partly spawned from some discussion about central heating.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile

Ambient air temperature of between 18 to 20 deg C. Ideally I would have it lower, but wife and kids would like it hotter, so it is a compromise.
This is a blank sig.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

If I'm the only that has to worry about it, I usually tell the AC to heat to around 40F or so, or ~ 4.4C, and that's more or less strictly to keep internal stuff from freezing. If I didn't have that to worry about, I'd just leave the ruddy thing off. When there's actually other people involved, it tends to get hovered around 68-70F, or 20-21C. Sometimes I can convince folks to leave it around 65F (~18C).

... I'm in florida, though, so it only very, very rarely even hits freezing, nevermind colder, especially for a full day or whatev'. During the winter, if it's just me, that 40F mark will mean the heater almost never actually turns on (which is just the way I like it. All hail the mighty bath robe!).

That said, those other people have generally involved at least one elderly person for a while now, and they generally both feel colder and need to stay warmer than younger folk, which is probably the reason the general level is a bit higher than MH's.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:27:18 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

My parents aim for around 10°C, but mostly because the central heating won't yield much more. A sensible temperature IMO is enough to be comfortable wearing a pullover, but too cold to sit around in a t-shirt.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 637