Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686883 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1575 on: September 14, 2015, 05:23:46 pm »

What sort of discipline analyses how abstraction and symbolism works in various media? What sort of university lectures could I attend to learn more about the subject?

I'm inclined to say literature, but I can see a lot of other fields broaching the subject in the context of their own concerns.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Talk about stuff I pretend to understand]
« Reply #1576 on: September 14, 2015, 05:36:29 pm »

It comes up primarily in both literature and philosophy, from what I've seen. Also in psychology, anthropology... graphics design/art, sometimes music studies. Depends a lot on the media and the direction you're approaching it from, heh.

Lecture wise, I couldn't really say. Just keep an eye open for stuff on the particular field of media you're interested in, maybe ask some of the local professors.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: September 14, 2015, 06:22:32 pm »

What sort of discipline analyses how abstraction and symbolism works in various media? What sort of university lectures could I attend to learn more about the subject?
Semiotics?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: September 14, 2015, 06:41:02 pm »

Yeah, that appears to be it - thanks! I'll see what sort of lectures touch on the subject.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: September 15, 2015, 09:24:33 pm »

Why do people always feel the need to flaunt threads? (Genuine Question)

It is honestly one of the more annoying habits, especially when someone creates a new thread specifically to force traffic into these side threads and will police other threads in order to ensure they use it.

I mean I never saw someone complain about a movie and go "OHHH there is a thread for that! USE IT! You have to! if you don't use it you are disrupting everything USE IT USE IT!"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:29:19 pm by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: September 15, 2015, 09:29:16 pm »

To keep discussion on topic instead of derailing it. Also to help people make conversation with folks more likely to be interested in the "side" thread's subject. Reduces clutter, helps people connect to the particular subject matter they're interested it.

It's not "flaunting", it's trying to more effectively facilitate discussion.
Ask not!
Ask!

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: September 15, 2015, 09:30:34 pm »

Why do people always feel the need to flaunt threads? (Genuine Question)

It is honestly one of the more annoying habits, especially when someone creates a new thread specifically to force traffic into these side threads and will police other threads in order to ensure they use it.

Funny thing, we have a thread concerning that right here. I recommend everyone else goes and checks it out.

To answer your question, I think it's because of a human desire for attention and to 'make a name'. If the linked thread is established, though, it just makes things more efficient and clean (by that I mean as clean as SM forums can get).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: September 15, 2015, 09:32:53 pm »

I mean... when I refused to, as in I said I refused to, use a thread someone linked me and basically just reasked my question. I was basically trolled for it.

It is why I loathe the suggestion board "compilation" threads.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: September 15, 2015, 09:35:20 pm »

Uh, might I ask why you refused to use the thread in the first place?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: September 15, 2015, 09:36:39 pm »

... you were told off for attempting to derail a thread instead of going to the thread that exists for that sort of thing, neo, as well as doing your own dabble of flaming. The rebuke was kinda' deserved, especially given how you worded your response.

Seriously though, most of the threads made in GD don't show particular signs of the thread creator wanting to "make a name." They want to make conversation, and would prefer to do it in an appropriately labeled cubical instead of appropriating an inappropriate one.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: September 15, 2015, 09:38:03 pm »

... you were told off for attempting to derail a thread instead of going to the thread that exists for that sort of thing, neo.

See this is sort of... The example... I used the thread appropriately... but because someone else created a separate thread... it is a derail.

Frumple is policing the forums right now... because he wants to defend this thread and in order to do so all other threads must therefor bow to this one.

They want to make conversation

No, it is always a shut down.

I don't get your outright defense of this practice.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:40:15 pm by Neonivek »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: September 15, 2015, 09:39:45 pm »

See this is sort of... The example... I used the thread appropriately... but because someone else created a separate thread... it is a derail.
Wrong order. The thread was created in the first place because people kept derailing threads, generally WTF or Happy, to ask small questions.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: September 15, 2015, 09:40:30 pm »

Wrong order. The thread was created in the first place because people kept derailing threads, generally WTF or Happy, to ask small questions.

Did they?

That is an assumption... can you prove it?

It is an assumption you fabricated... to defend this practice... because "If it is the status quo, the status quo must make sense, therefor a problem must exist that the status quo fixes"

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: September 15, 2015, 09:41:44 pm »

... you were told off for attempting to derail a thread instead of going to the thread that exists for that sort of thing, neo.

Frumple is policing the forums right now... because he wants to defend this thread and in order to do so all other threads must therefor bow to this one.

Then just continue the discussion there. If the thread was too general and the deiscussion was small, I think you should be fine. However, if you're talking about an entirely different subject in a small thread, there are better places.

Besides, we'd have already made an NWA cover for Frumple if he were policing too hard.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: September 15, 2015, 09:42:59 pm »

That is an assumption... can you prove it?

It is an assumption you fabricated... to defend this practice... because "If it is the status quo, the status quo must make sense, therefor a problem must exist that the status quo fixes"
I'll admit I phrased it a little incorrectly there. The thread was created for a slightly different reason: the topic creator had a bunch of small questions and didn't see suitable threads for them, so he made one for himself and others.

Thank you for accusing me of fabricating a fact.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 637