Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686899 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #2895 on: November 04, 2016, 06:27:52 am »

Could an american tell me about common household guns, how to take care of them, and how their ammunitions are sold and packaged?

I just wanna warn ya that this message might or might not put you in watch lists :P
It's... research for writing.

Also in all seriousness I don't think te government has time to watch all the rednecks.

Also I was kind of asking for concrete things like the model names, the name of the bullets, gun cleaning procedure, etc.

Anyone knows a good supplier of hexamine and nitric acid, and a decent way to get things through the TSA? It's for... research.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2896 on: November 04, 2016, 07:17:00 am »

... so when you're asking stuff like model names, you mean specific producers or just general types of firearm? There's big names for the former (Remington, Smith and Wesson, etc.), but to be honest I don't think most of us really pay that much attention to it. More enthusiastic firearm owners definitely do, but your hypothetical common firearm owner, less so, and even less than that beyond the point of purchase. S'kinda' like major household electrical appliances, so far as that goes. If you actually want a list googling (or whatever) "major US firearm manufacturers" is pretty easy, and will get you the information you want.

If you're just talking types of guns, shotguns, .22s, revolvers, and just general pistols, are probably the most ubiquitous/normal, iirc, though it'll vary by area a fair bit (hand guns more common in cities, shotguns/hunting rifles/"varmint guns" outside). You can indeed roll up to walmart and buy certain firearms (mostly longarms and shotguns, iirc; I don't pay too much attention when I walk by the sporting goods section, tbh) and bullets. There are background checks involved (or should be, anyway, which isn't a guarantee) for buying firearms, but they're not exactly difficult to pass, most of the time, though I forget how long they usually take... at least a day or two, but more than that I don't recall. Most likely place is just from a gun shop, though, which are pretty common in a number of areas and do require a check (if they want to stay in business anyway, providing the area's not too corrupt). Fastest way is via gun shows or local bartering (buying from friends, etc.), and how much vetting the former requires varies by region. The latter does tend to have some laws on the books regarding who you can and can't and whether/how it needs to be reported, but enforcement on that end is... spotty. The BATF is frankly more or less crippled, so a lot of the smaller stuff just doesn't have the resources or legal freedom to really police.

Ammunition's usually sold wherever you can get firearms, obviously enough, and usually packaged in boxes, either cardboard or plastic. Forget exactly how many is common for a box but I want to say 1-200 bullet boxes of .22 ammo is fairly normal? Or was, last I was around someone buying. It's been a long, long time since I've actually bought ammunition. Though now that I think about it, let me get up for a second -- family's got ammunition sitting around the house... and the answer looks to be 20 to 50, rifle and pistol respectively, apparently. Cardboard boxes. Depends on the caliber, basically. You can definitely get larger ones, though, and it's not difficult to go out and buy/order a steel drum (like, those things stereotyped as being used by hobos to burn things in to keep warm, iirc holding multiple thousand rounds) full. Name wise most of them are made more or less by the same folks that make the guns, iirc. Here's a nice list, though.

Care... honestly, I've forgotten most of it. I do own a rifle, but don't handle the maintenance and haven't fired it in over a decade to boot so *shrugs* If I actually needed to do some touch up I'd just google info, the process (up to and including videos) is silly easy to find. I do recall normal stuff involving oil of some sort and a poke-y thing (brush on a thin/long metal stick, used to clear out any detritus inside the barrel), and in general you want to keep them in fairly cool/dry areas (i.e. in a gun locker, closet, etc. Metal can warp from persistent extreme temperatures, even treated stock can go funky if it stays damp. Not easily but when it happening can cause the barrel to explode in your face you don't risk it). Other than that, don't stick them barrel first into the ground, don't douse them in liquid, don't use them as a bludgeon, don't point them at people you're not trying to kill ever. Probably covers the major points.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 07:19:00 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2897 on: November 04, 2016, 07:43:31 am »

Come on, Hillary still has a shot.

That's the worst idea. Have you forgotten Gavrilo Princip.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2898 on: November 04, 2016, 12:45:52 pm »

While I'm at it, say, I'm 'Merican (hypothetically), and officer comes up and asks for ID. What will pass as one? I heard that driver's license does the trick, but are there any other options? Other than license and passport, that is (excluding the obvious here)
The Department of Motor Vehicles offers state ID cards, along with offering driver's liscenses. Since I don't drive, I have a state ID card. Here's an example.
There are also military ID cards, or permanent resident cards for non-citizens.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2899 on: November 04, 2016, 12:48:47 pm »

The Department of Motor Vehicles offers state ID cards, along with offering driver's liscenses. Since I don't drive, I have a state ID card. Here's an example.
There are also military ID cards, or permanent resident cards for non-citizens.

Thank you, this clarifies some things.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2900 on: November 04, 2016, 03:57:32 pm »

Ok so tough question:

So in old Bugs Bunny (and one Daffy Duck) cartoon he was in the military

And at one point he would get a job to test out Cannon Shells, hitting them with a hammer... but they would all be duds and he would live another day.

Is this joke a reference to something? Or is the joke
A) A comically over the top sign of the military being incompetent far removed from reality
B) The joke is that Bugs Bunny is just that lucky (or unkillable)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: November 05, 2016, 02:35:08 pm »

Ok, so, this might sound weird, but indulge me:

Out of nigh infinite number of ways to spend free time alone at home, what specific activities do you prefer? I will list some in the spoiler below, that is what I've been doing, yet still I wonder what else is there to do.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: November 05, 2016, 02:41:27 pm »

I mean if you're taking a walk around the block that wouldn't really be at home, won't it? :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: November 05, 2016, 02:44:51 pm »

I mean if you're taking a walk around the block that wouldn't really be at home, won't it? :P

Well, yeah. But you know how it is, you grow up in a place, you feel quite at home in the entire neighbourhood, even if you're not so familiar with people who live around you.
Sigs

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2904 on: November 05, 2016, 02:45:15 pm »

I draw as well quite a bit.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: November 05, 2016, 02:47:48 pm »

Huh. Yeah, I used to do that too, a few months back. Might wanna pick it up. Noted.
Sigs

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: November 05, 2016, 02:56:27 pm »

What about cooking?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: November 05, 2016, 02:58:31 pm »

Been there, done that. Not an expert at that, but sure can make a few things. I like to pass my time like that, but RN my fridge is bursting with all kinds of food, so it would be just wasteful and excessive to cook more.
Sigs

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: November 05, 2016, 03:04:46 pm »

Wiki walking (or the web-wide equivalent) is a great way to get rid of excess time.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: November 05, 2016, 03:10:00 pm »

Wiki walking (or the web-wide equivalent) is a great way to get rid of excess time.

The "Browsing net" point actually includes that, as well as the vast number of other online activities. It accounts for no less than 80 percent of my free time, if my estimates are correct, overloping with "Listening music" sometimes, but nevertheless.
I mean, in the end, it's just me sitting in front of my computer for hours, clicking stuff incessantly and typing a few words every now and then. All that seemingly diverse experience just seems bland sometimes.

I still appreciate the intent of helping out though. Same goes to Cinder and his latest suggestion.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 03:13:12 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Pages: 1 ... 192 193 [194] 195 196 ... 637