Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691545 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3120 on: December 19, 2016, 11:58:32 pm »

Does it count as sleep paralysis when you die in a dream, and are then just trapped there, in some grey void, unable to wake up, with an uncomfortable feeling of being unable to move your physical body no matter how hard you try and beginning to panic that you may actually be dead or stuck there forever?

Your body is ALWAYS under sleep paralysis when asleep.

It is possible you were trying to move in real life (in spite dreaming) and felt your real body... Or yeah it could just have been a really bad nightmare.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: December 20, 2016, 06:37:28 am »

Does it count as sleep paralysis when you die in a dream, and are then just trapped there, in some grey void, unable to wake up, with an uncomfortable feeling of being unable to move your physical body no matter how hard you try and beginning to panic that you may actually be dead or stuck there forever?

Then how do I go to sleep laying on my side and sometimes wake up laying on my back, ehhh?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: December 20, 2016, 06:43:25 am »

Then how do I go to sleep laying on my side and sometimes wake up laying on my back, ehhh?

Gravity
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: December 20, 2016, 09:38:23 am »

It is possible you were trying to move in real life (in spite dreaming) and felt your real body... Or yeah it could just have been a really bad nightmare.
No, you really aren't.  Your body can thrash about just fine.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: December 20, 2016, 11:00:38 am »

My wife gets sleep paralysis sometimes, always with a hallucination of a firefighter looming over her. I guess that'd be a dream for some...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: December 20, 2016, 11:08:03 am »

No, you really aren't.  Your body can thrash about just fine.

While asleep your body releases chemicals to limit/prevent itself from moving around. Without it you would be... well.. fully mobile.

Which is possible! Commonly known as sleep walking.

Two equally possible situations
1) You managed to do it in spite of sleep paralysis...
or MUCH more likely
2) You woke up while asleep and you didn't notice.

Believe it or not... many people wake up several times while asleep.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3126 on: December 20, 2016, 01:26:08 pm »

Why does Age of Empires keep connecting Indians (from India) with woodcutting?
In AoE3 they make villagers with wood instead of food, and a lot of the cards (like "mango grove") are about gathering more wood.  I thought it was just a random thing.
But apparently in the new AoE2 "Rise of the Rajas" expansion, they get all woodcutting upgrades for free.  That's not a coincidence, it must be a reference I'm not getting.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: December 20, 2016, 01:47:10 pm »

India is some of the world's most fertile land, so...maybe?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: December 20, 2016, 02:17:27 pm »

You would think that would mean better food production though.

What I wonder though, is why there's an expansion coming out for an older installment of a series when the latest one is more than 10 years old.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: December 20, 2016, 02:23:01 pm »

Is it for AoE2 or AoE2HD?

The latter is more recent than AoE3.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: December 20, 2016, 02:26:15 pm »

Fakedit:  I assumed only HD edition got the new India races?

@Baffler
Probably because AoE3 introduced a bunch of weird complicated mechanics that... maybe didn't contribute to competitive gameplay?  Including a level-up system, but...  Eh IDK.  AoE2 has *plenty* of mechanical depth already.  AoE2 has much more of the roots of RTS.  AoE3 simplified a lot and added other, very race-specific things.

Arx could probably explain better.  But basically, I don't think they could have balanced AoE3 well.  Starcraft 1&2 kinda manage it with 3 races, the AoE3 team is dead and has arguably like a dozen races to balance.  And they tried to make every one fairly unique.

Whereas AoE2 survives because it has a loyal, even fanatic playerbase.  And the differences between factions are usually... not minor, but less than in Starcraft or AoE3.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3131 on: December 20, 2016, 02:51:41 pm »

Wasn't AoE3 the one set in America during the "Age of Colonization?" They aren't even the same Indians.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: December 20, 2016, 02:55:06 pm »

You're right about AoE3 being in the age of colonization, versus the European medieval period.  But what do you mean by them not being the same Indians?
She/they

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3133 on: December 20, 2016, 03:14:17 pm »

Well, I don't remember India Indians in AoE3.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: December 20, 2016, 03:24:07 pm »

Aoe3 only contained "Indians" from Continental and Caribbean America, none of whom, at least when I played it, were even playable. (Wikipedia says there was eventually an expansion which added Japanese, Chinese, and actual Indians as playable factions, which I was unaware of)

"Raja," meanwhile, is a monarchical title from India and southeast Asia.

Hope that clears up what I meant.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 638