Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691601 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [I spoiled my pants]
« Reply #3510 on: March 17, 2017, 05:23:04 pm »

Hommage to Catalonia, by Orwell.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3511 on: March 18, 2017, 07:20:59 pm »

Plato's the Republic.

Joking.

I found Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles good, or Sanderson's Way of Kings. Depends on what you find exciting, which isn"t always action for me.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3512 on: March 18, 2017, 08:45:29 pm »

Sounds silly... and I know it is WAAAAAY out of your age bracket...

But I always loved the My BLANK is a BLANK series.

Short, sweet, and HOW THE HECK did this not become a television show? The books are practically written like scripts.

But maybe they suck and it has been forever since I read them. Though it kind of made me learn that sophistication doesn't nessisarily equate to how much you will like a book.

I mean I found Life of Pi very tedious and dry lacking almost all personality as Pi himself is a pretty terrible storyteller all things considered.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3513 on: March 18, 2017, 09:44:55 pm »

Di... did you actually just censor out half -- and the meaningfully identifiable half -- of the title of a work you were recommending? My blank is a blank isn't even pulling up applicable google searches.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: March 18, 2017, 09:46:22 pm »

Di... did you actually just censor out half -- and the meaningfully identifiable half -- of the title of a work you were recommending? My blank is a blank isn't even pulling up applicable google searches.

It is because every single title of it works around that

"My Teacher is a Vampire"
"My Librarian is a Wizard"

To admit... this series I read when I was in elementary and later in highschool as a cheat (because you could read an entire book in a day).

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3515 on: March 18, 2017, 09:50:40 pm »

Is there a free app that has the same features as Cold Turkey Pro, or a DIY way to achieve the same thing? Basically its a PC app that blocks certain websites and desktop applications at certain times of day on certain days of the week. The free version of Cold Turkey doesn't allow you to block apps AND websites based on a weekly schedule, which is what I want. I have a Windows 10 machine.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 10:01:08 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3516 on: March 18, 2017, 09:53:11 pm »

It is because every single title of it works around that

"My Teacher is a Vampire"
"My Librarian is a Wizard"

To admit... this series I read when I was in elementary and later in highschool as a cheat (because you could read an entire book in a day).
Ah. Yeah, that example or two would have helped, heh. Not even sure I've ever seen something from that line of books, and I spent a lot of time in libraries and book crawling when I was younger. Though to be fair I never really read much of the shorter stuff, so it's entirely possible I just didn't notice 'em.

... though yeah, sophistication isn't particularly connected to enjoyability. Most stuff I've read that folks classify as sophisticated was actively unpleasant. Most authors seem to have trouble making something on the high end of that sort of thing that doesn't roll around in the low ends of human existence, and there's only so many times I can put myself through that before the skill involved in the writing stops being even remotely worth the experience of reading the content.
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3517 on: March 18, 2017, 09:56:25 pm »

I am fully willing to admit those books might suck as it has been a while since I read them.

But from what I remember... it was like reading an episode of Magic School bus... except without the education (heck even Vampire teacher feels like a alternate version of Ms. Frizzle at times)

As well the books kind of have this escalation, starting off with the subject being mostly normal but as time progresses it becomes harder and harder to ignore... without outright going to "Well now we KNOW they are a BLANK".

Also there is an ODD amount of continuity between the books you wouldn't expect... given that they feel episodic.

I guess it is to say... I found the books charming when I was younger, as well as being a light read.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 09:59:45 pm by Neonivek »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: March 20, 2017, 08:47:57 pm »

Does the crust of the Earth expand under the light of the Sun? I just was struck by this thought. The light from the Sun produces heat. Does it cause the exterior sections of the Earth's crust to expand when it shines upon them?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: March 20, 2017, 08:49:10 pm »

Does the crust of the Earth expand under the light of the Sun? I just was struck by this thought. The light from the Sun produces heat. Does it cause the exterior sections of the Earth's crust to expand when it shines upon them?
only the exposed rock i would imagine. rock is a terrible heat conductor.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: March 20, 2017, 09:11:40 pm »

The heat of the sun adds a lot of heat into the system, from our perspective, but keep in mind we sit on the very outside of a very large sphere of ROCK.  High specific heat, takes a lot to warm up.  Harvesting-wise, solar and geothermal are both effective, but it's telling that geothermal is a contender.

We host a well-insulated core which has raged with volcanic fury for millions of years.  The sun is responsible... but only for the formation.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: March 20, 2017, 09:17:58 pm »

So the answer would be, not enough to mean anything?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: March 21, 2017, 02:04:19 am »

Yeah, more or less. Also probably worth noting that whatever degree the effect is there it's interacting with a least a few dozen/hundred other variables. Even if it's doing something you might have trouble pin pointing exactly what, just 'cause other stuff is causing the observable/measurable effect to be something else.
Ask not!
Ask!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #3523 on: March 22, 2017, 12:55:53 pm »

So, is there any evidence of conflict between science and religion in the late medieval period? 1500 +?

Because anything I can find, it turns out that bastard A.D. White got there first and misinformed us.

Something to do with medicine would be good. Capping at the late 18th Century.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:26:40 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: March 22, 2017, 01:56:35 pm »

So, is there any evidence of conflict between science and religion in the late medieval period? 1500 +?

Because anything I can find, it turns out that bastard A.D. White got there first and misinformed us.

Something to do with medicine would be good. Capping at the late 18th Century.
Neither is a medicine example, but Galileo's theory of heliocentrism was formally declared heretical by the Catholic Church in 1616, with heliocentric books being banned. When Galileo continued to come up with new scientific theories revolving around heliocentrism he was then later found "vehemently suspect of heresy" by a Roman Inquisition in 1633 and kept in indefinite house arrest for the next 9 years until he died. The Galileo Affair

In addition in 1551-58 Conrad Gessner's series Historiae animalium was also banned by the Catholic church, mainly on the fact that the writer was a Protestant.

That said, the real issue here is that in a lot of cases around the time it wasn't so much a case of religion conflicting with science, but more a case of specific religions conflicting with specific researchers (usually because they weren't part of their particular religion). The result is that you get cases where one religion (such as the Catholics in the Gessner example) banning theories while other religions accept them wholeheartedly because they don't conflict with the researcher's particular religion.

Funnily enough, medicine tends to be the one field where mainstream religion actually helps the most rather than conflicting, most likely due to the fact that religion was one of the only organizations really large enough to perform wide-spread medical care as well as generally being matched with a "charitable" goal-set (and thus we see cases today such as the Catholic Church being the largest non-government provider of health care in the world). There was some pushback from traditional medicine and religion, but in many cases even this developed more into a duo of where you get treated simultaneously by the traditional medicine for the illnesses of the soul with normal medicinal advances treating the illnesses of the body rather than a direct clash.

TL;DR: The real conflict was usually between specific religions with theories from researchers of conflicting religions, with a few exceptions (such as the Galileo incident) rather than any sort of widespread conflict between science and religion as a whole.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 638