Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 638

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 691632 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [Flat-nosed pigdogs]
« Reply #4200 on: March 07, 2018, 01:56:53 pm »

Basically, conservatives want a government small enough that they can fit it into your bedroom.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: March 07, 2018, 01:58:14 pm »

Preferably under the sheets.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: March 07, 2018, 02:07:02 pm »

"Drown it in the bathtub" is more the thing, so local-er interests can operate unfettered. And do things like get in your bedroom and jackboot tapdance on brown people, yes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: March 07, 2018, 02:09:51 pm »

This was not exactly the question I asked.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: March 07, 2018, 02:28:08 pm »

Maybe rephrase the question? If the bit specifically trying to aim at what seemed to be the question was off base, it might help aim better.
Ask not!
Ask!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: March 07, 2018, 02:56:48 pm »

Conservatives want laws to uphold the "traditional" American lifestyle, ex. teetotal white heterosexual nuclear families toting guns.

Liberals want laws to push the social envelope forward, ex. gender-neutral bathrooms and federally recognized unions of non-heterosexual couples.

E: This actually doesn't even talk about economic conservative/liberal stances, and only moral conservative/liberal stances. That's a whole different ballpark seeing as you could be morally conservative and economically liberal. Rare, but possible.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: March 07, 2018, 03:29:11 pm »

I quite clearly outlined my question. What I want is not a simple definition of liberal and conservative. I already know everything your saying. It was a question about a differing interpretation of the social contract by the different positions. I am fairly sure I have it now however. It has to do with a different perception of what is commensurate for qualifying as having fulfilled a citizens obligation to the contract.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: March 07, 2018, 03:37:01 pm »

Not terribly? I mean, I'm glad you've figured out what you were needing but you didn't really pose a specific question in your original post, and it had a few of us confused I think.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: March 07, 2018, 03:50:35 pm »

It has to do with a different perception of what is commensurate for qualifying as having fulfilled a citizens obligation to the contract.
... maybe? Like, sure, groups vary as to what they think fulfills the social contract, assuming they frame things in that manner to begin with, but that's a pretty empty observation on its own.

The devil's more in the details here, and again, I don't think there's actually a straight answer to be had, exactly. Especially not on as broad a front as conservative or liberal vis a vis the american political sphere. The positions and contrast you're looking for just aren't particularly consistent, over time, subject, or locality, particularly for the current mess that is stateside conservatism.

Specific subsections of either you might have better luck, assuming they articulate or act like they give a damn what their position regarding a hypothetical social contract is to begin with.
Ask not!
Ask!

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: March 07, 2018, 03:55:46 pm »

It has to do with a different perception of what is commensurate for qualifying as having fulfilled a citizens obligation to the contract.
... maybe? Like, sure, groups vary as to what they think fulfills the social contract, assuming they frame things in that manner to begin with, but that's a pretty empty observation on its own.

The devil's more in the details here, and again, I don't think there's actually a straight answer to be had, exactly. Especially not on as broad a front as conservative or liberal vis a vis the american political sphere. The positions and contrast you're looking for just aren't particularly consistent, over time, subject, or locality, particularly for the current mess that is stateside conservatism.

Specific subsections of either you might have better luck, assuming they articulate or act like they give a damn what their position regarding a hypothetical social contract is to begin with.
I was thinking about it as a factor in understanding parts of a conservative viewpoint. Basically I was trying to look at issues through a conservative conception and I was having trouble with that part of it. It is not meant to be some binary or single defining trait.

Leodanny

• Bay Watcher
  • Ah
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: March 08, 2018, 12:17:45 pm »

Constructive interference?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: March 08, 2018, 08:16:41 pm »

A kind of non-integer dimensionality is called Hausdorff or "fractal" dimensions.
Heres a nice video on them: 3blue1brown
Klok the Kloker !

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: March 13, 2018, 04:47:26 pm »

How thick does a pair of thighs have to be to be considered "thick thighs" with the capacity to save lives? I saw a woman with one of those patches on her backpack and at a (chaste, purely scientific) glance her thighs didn't see to be overly large.
Perhaps I am just clueless as to how thighs are actually measured? Perhaps she was offering a message of solidarity to women falling outside of certain ridiculous beauty standards? Or perhaps she herself had suffered from such body issues at some point?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: March 13, 2018, 04:53:54 pm »

Perhaps she just wanted men to look at her thighs?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 638