Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686936 times)

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7125 on: March 28, 2021, 02:46:59 am »

Often the thing is that I am not using my brain at all but I blame it on 'I am just not good at this stuff'. And it happens a lot of time.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7126 on: March 28, 2021, 03:04:28 am »

Uh, how do i become batman? Or something like that?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7127 on: March 28, 2021, 03:31:42 am »

Why do compiler optimizations, especially aggressive ones, tend to break programs? Why is that considered a fault of the input code, not the compiler?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #7128 on: March 28, 2021, 03:49:25 am »

Because if you're setting aggressive optimisation flags you know what you're letting yourself in for. If you drive your car at 300km/h, spin off the road, and die, why is that considered the fault of the driver not the vehicle?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7129 on: March 28, 2021, 06:49:29 am »

There is nothing happening in your life that would otherwise explain why your brain is not working. Illness or some sort of unpleasant experience, for example.
Basically. No depression, no tiredness, no exhaustion, no drugs, just a brain that's decided that thinking is a thing it doesn't want to do.

Do ya walk in the woods at least an hour a day?
Hate walking most of the time, especially just retreading the same route over and over. I can't even discover new ones until the travel restrictions open up.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7130 on: March 28, 2021, 07:23:26 am »

I don't know if this will help you, but I like to think of walking/cycling/general-going-outside as a form of extracting random noise from the environment. I can't predict whether there will be a car on this intersection, or a motorcycle there, and so on. It's random to me.

I try to focus on details like this (safety first, though) because they're unpredictable. I don't keep them in my head for very long, but I guess the sum of all that noise stops me from thinking that life is boring, that I'm living in a loop, whatever. I'm working off random noise reserves right now, since I'm still in quarantine. God, I so want to cycle right now.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7131 on: March 30, 2021, 10:02:45 pm »

Is Google Assistant Turing-complete? Think of it this way: it's just a microphone for input, a natural language processor for processing the input, coupled with some shell script to execute the commands. Batch and bash are known to be Turing-complete, so I wouldn't dismiss the possibility outright. Is there some crafty way in which a Turing machine can be implemented within Google Assistant?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7132 on: April 01, 2021, 01:07:27 am »

Why does my cat love walking right over boardgames while I am playing?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7133 on: April 01, 2021, 01:34:32 am »

Because your cat loves you, and your attention.

Oh, how my brother's cat enjoyed the company of me and our little cousin!  She was shy at first, for several hours even.  Took a day nap, and eventually came downstairs and looked at us.

I approached her a little, but saw her shy away and stopped - knelt on the ground and put out my hand, back-first.
Didn't work, of course.

It did work the fourth time.  She approached, sniffed my hand a bit, and rubbed her chin against it.  Obviously I started petting her then.  And she approached our cousin without any hesitation, knowing that the situation was good.

There's a thing about cats, a weak spot.  They love to be scritched along their chin, the same area they rub against people and objects.  It's something you don't want to abuse.  And it's something you shouldn't rush into!  Start with casual back strokes, the cat will probably wander around as if they don't care.  But they'll "wander" back to you, and you can keep stroking their back fur down their spine.  But if you leave your hand hanging, they'll probably rub their face against it.  That's when you start scritching.  Rubbing the side of their face - *gently*, mind.  You don't need to touch their skin!  Just a casual scritching motion, and suddenly you're their favorite person.  Keep your hand steady and they'll keep rubbing against your fingers.  Gentle....  Then switch to stroking the rest of them again. 

When they turn a cheek towards you, they want some cheek scritches.  Do so, at least a little.  Maybe spoil them.  But then go back to caressing their fur.

I've not mentioned what sounds you should be making, partially because they might be a little embarrassing.  Be not afraid.  You are a good human, they are a good cat.  Just be conscious of their movements and try to oblige - sometimes they'll want you to move to their neck.

Resist the urge to snoot-boop.  That is a privilege accorded only to their most trusted human(s).
But if you caaaan snoot-boop...  Be watchful for sand accumulating besides their eyes, and gently scrape that away.
Also clip those claws - particularly if they're clawing the ground or whatnot.  My cat enjoyed it - just be careful not to go too deep.  Too deep and there are live nerves.  But the clear cartilage is fine - and you really just want a dull end.  Uncut claws are so annoying and uncomfortable for them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7134 on: April 01, 2021, 01:39:16 am »

Why does my cat love walking right over boardgames while I am playing?
They're complete attention whores
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7135 on: April 01, 2021, 01:49:33 am »

My new desktop recognizes my mouse and keyboard in bios, and in Knoppix (Linux LiveCD), but not in the Windows 7 install/repair iso (with SP1 slipstreamed in).  The lights go dim.

So ah - that means Win7 is out, right?  It just doesn't recognize my motherboard (somehow - no, not salty, not salty!) and now I will have to upgrade to Windows Ten.  Windows... ten.  Hrn.

I know I can customize a lot of the changes away, but I did just help my brother try to figure it out.  Protip:  F2 lets you rename My Computer back to My Computer instead of the [obscenities deleted] they named it now.

But yeah Win7 installer (slipstreamed SP1) isn't recognizing my USB controller or both my mouse and keyboard.  RIP Win 7, I guess!??
She/they

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7136 on: April 01, 2021, 03:41:55 am »

It's been quite a few years since I built my pc so I'm sorry if it's a bit vague but I remember that win7 needed some drivers or something before they could recognize usb sticks, at least when it comes to unistal the OS from one. Maybe it's a similar issue, with the usb controller.

edit: Maybe it had to do more with the UEFI than win7 per se.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 03:46:51 am by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7137 on: April 01, 2021, 10:43:49 am »

My new desktop recognizes my mouse and keyboard in bios, and in Knoppix (Linux LiveCD), but not in the Windows 7 install/repair iso (with SP1 slipstreamed in).  The lights go dim.

So ah - that means Win7 is out, right?  It just doesn't recognize my motherboard (somehow - no, not salty, not salty!) and now I will have to upgrade to Windows Ten.  Windows... ten.  Hrn.

I know I can customize a lot of the changes away, but I did just help my brother try to figure it out.  Protip:  F2 lets you rename My Computer back to My Computer instead of the [obscenities deleted] they named it now.

But yeah Win7 installer (slipstreamed SP1) isn't recognizing my USB controller or both my mouse and keyboard.  RIP Win 7, I guess!??

Bad install or issues with dual-booting? I haven't done slipstreaming in forever, but I remember it being a little fiddly. Also, Windows 7 had some weird hardware validation thing that I thought they got rid of? Could be that.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7138 on: April 01, 2021, 11:07:10 am »

Well there's an existing Windows 7 install which fails to fully boot (going into startup recovery instead) but that makes sense since it's a totally different motherboard&CPU.  I downloaded a Windows 7 installer ISO and used the super-secret Microsoft tool to put it on a USB stick (basically just Rufus, probably, but I used their official tool to be safe). 

I can boot off that Windows 7 installer fine, except that my mouse and keyboard *stop* working as it reaches the graphical interface.  The lights even go out.  They work fine previously, like in the BIOS menu or boot device selection, but not once the installer is "running".

That's why I figure it's a driver issue, yeah.  But the ISO I got already has SP1 slipstreamed in, so it should have all the USB drivers available.  There's definitely no official support for Windows 7 anymore, particularly on this fairly-new hardware, so I guess I'm SOL and have to switch to 10 (which I know works, based on something my brother and I tested).

Linux live CDs boot up no problem, of course.  So I'm definitely putting a nice simple Ubuntu install on, dual-boot.  Maybe it'll even run modded Minecraft better than Windows did - even under 7 there was so much RAM-hogging crap I couldn't turn off.  Anyway, the live CD (Knoppix) makes it easy for me to get everything I need off these drives first.

(Unrelated, but my enterprise key *also* doesn't validate anymore, but I couldn't even get to the stage where that would be an issue)
She/they

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7139 on: April 01, 2021, 07:44:07 pm »

Because if you're setting aggressive optimisation flags you know what you're letting yourself in for. If you drive your car at 300km/h, spin off the road, and die, why is that considered the fault of the driver not the vehicle?

Except that analogy is not great, because optimizations are *not* supposed to change the functionality of the code. If they just don't optimize very well or make it slower sometimes, sure. But frankly breaking code is not a good thing and is a compiler bug.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 474 475 [476] 477 478 ... 637