Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686911 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7140 on: April 03, 2021, 01:58:14 am »

Is it a good idea to tell people to put their FFmpeg directory into PATH? I'm doing a write-up on using FFmpeg to corrupt raw image data via lossy audio compression (as I've done here), and it will involve heavy usage of FFmpeg to do that, so I'd rather be able to handle whatever piece you're working on in separate folders rather than having them all pile up in the bin directory. I've done this myself, but now I want to tell others to do the same.

I'm worried about conflicts that may occur if you were to do this. Is there any software that installs a copy of FFmpeg, and places its copy into PATH? It would be an incredibly dumb thing to do (what happens if two programs put their own FFmpegs into PATH?), but I wouldn't be surprised if this did happen.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: April 03, 2021, 07:36:23 am »

It depends on how. If the FFmpeg directory is added to path for the session only, say (for linux) using:

Code: [Select]
export PATH=/home/methylated/noise:$PATH
then there shouldn't be any problem. 

On the other hand setting it permanently, say via .bashrc, is a recipe for future problems since any FFmpeg data will end up there, potentially including stuff other programs might expect to be kept elsewhere.  I think you realise this in a way with the 'two programs' comment (although it is a bad situation there will not be a conflict since $PATH is an ordered list and FFmpeg will use which ever location is first in the list... probably meaning the location specified by the last FFmpeg program to add to $PATH). 

Just set it temporarily to avoid such a conflict.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:38:25 am by feelotraveller »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: April 03, 2021, 07:42:38 am »

(Windows, I'm talking about Windows. Sorry about the ambiguity. If Windows had its own native package management system a la Linux, you could tell people to install their own FFmpeg from there and I wouldn't have to bother with this %PATH%-setting nonsense.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:46:18 am by methylatedspirit »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: April 03, 2021, 08:04:22 am »

The logic is the same for windoze, although the commands differ slightly.  Just set it for the session and not permanently (set rather than setx if my vague memories hold up with newer window$ versions).

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: April 03, 2021, 10:07:44 am »

Is there any combination of audio/video formats that the MKV container format cannot handle? Like, as far as I'm concerned, you could do something as heretical as muxing an H.265 video with Opus audio, or as absurd as muxing an AV1 video with RealAudio 1.0 audio. Is there any limit to the madness that MKV allows?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: April 06, 2021, 07:32:13 am »

Is there any combination of audio/video formats that the MKV container format cannot handle? Like, as far as I'm concerned, you could do something as heretical as muxing an H.265 video with Opus audio, or as absurd as muxing an AV1 video with RealAudio 1.0 audio. Is there any limit to the madness that MKV allows?

Answering my own question: SBC, aptX, and aptX HD (all Bluetooth audio codecs) do not allow muxing into an MKV container. They must have extensions of .sbc, .aptx, and .aptxhd respectively. This happens if you try anyway:

[matroska @ 000001d817f72880] No wav codec tag found for codec sbc
Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec parameters ?): Invalid argument
Error initializing output stream 0:1 --

Conversion failed!

(sidenote: 128 kbps SBC sounds like shit. Worse than 128 kbps MP3.)
(side-sidenote: aptX (HD) both require an output sample rate of 48 KHz, set with -ar. Else, you'll end up with sped-up or slowed-down music.)

I have a dumb scheme:

You see, my dorm room has this problem where the fan and lights shut off (due to the circuit breaker; likely indicator of an electrical problem if it happens this often). I can hear sparking coming from the fan, especially at higher fan speeds. My hypothesis is that the electrical shutoff is caused by that sparking. The student rep has told me that if it fails again, he'll get repair people to diagnose and fix whatever I suspect is the culprit. There's some other rooms that are on the same breaker (including the nearest bathroom), so any fixes here will help them too.

So, what if I make it fail at a convenient time? It's only a matter of time before it dies again, so I may as well try to force it to happen at a good time. I'll max out the fan speed at 8 am, and just wait until it dies a few hours later. This way, I can go to the dorm office, complain that the fan's dead again, claim that the sparking is causing the issue (which is likely true, given what I've observed), and this whole problem gets fixed a few more hours later.

I've asked my roommates, and they're reasonably on board with the idea. I'm just checking if there's any possible risks to inducing a failure like this. I can't complain if nothing's immediately wrong (or they won't listen), which is why I'm trying to cause a bigger one that the management will care about.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: April 09, 2021, 09:15:03 am »

Fellas.

I drank an entire can of Monster Energy in the period of 30 minutes, it has been nearly an hour and a half and i am starting to feel that "Monster Energy" coursing though my body, this is my first time drinking it and i am extremely lightweight. (110 lbs)

Is this feeling of "oh shit what the fuck did i just drink!" normal?
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Yellow Pixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: April 09, 2021, 09:27:39 am »

The feeling is probably normal, but drinking that shit is not.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: April 09, 2021, 09:38:03 am »

Fellas.

I drank an entire can of Monster Energy in the period of 30 minutes, it has been nearly an hour and a half and i am starting to feel that "Monster Energy" coursing though my body, this is my first time drinking it and i am extremely lightweight. (110 lbs)

Reminds me of when 4 lokos came out, and still had caffeine in them. Aside from the horrific energy drink taste that the flavoring didn't really cover (Monster isn't as bad as most, I'll give them that), I remember waking up at 2 am feeling like I was having a heart attack.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: April 09, 2021, 09:59:21 am »

Isn't Monster, like, hilariously overcaffeinated, far beyond what you'd see in a "reasonable" amount of coffee? I wonder how that's even remotely legal. May as well steep fine coffee bean dust in a pressure cooker; you'd get roughly the same caffeine content, as far as I'm concerned. Probably tastes just as good as unflavored Monster, too.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: April 09, 2021, 10:15:30 am »

Isn't Monster, like, hilariously overcaffeinated, far beyond what you'd see in a "reasonable" amount of coffee? I wonder how that's even remotely legal. May as well steep fine coffee bean dust in a pressure cooker; you'd get roughly the same caffeine content, as far as I'm concerned. Probably tastes just as good as unflavored Monster, too.

I got the mango flavored one

It's tastes like mango flavored ass
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: April 09, 2021, 10:32:01 am »

"If you're not at LD50 for caffeine, you're not trying."

I've personally found the I, Zombie take pretty amusing too.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: April 09, 2021, 10:33:27 am »

Monster is so caffeinated so you can't absorb all of the caffeine on purpose, that way when you get lost in the wilderness and you drink your last monster and then have to drink your pee the piss will still be caffeinated too ;)
Love, scriver~

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: April 09, 2021, 10:50:08 am »

Fellas.

Sounds like the first time I drank a redbull. Never again...
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: April 09, 2021, 11:15:12 am »

Fellas.

You'll probably be ok, but if things turn worse then you should notify someone. One of my friends used to abuse the shit  out of those untill he spent a couple of days in a coma. He used to drink excessive amounts each day and sometimes even brewed instant coffee with it, instead of water.

I'm not sure if they take that into account when it comes to it's legality but I think each can is supposed to be 2-3 servings so you aren't supposed to drink it all at once.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 637