Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686974 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7320 on: May 23, 2021, 06:36:07 am »

After we run out of actual letters from alphabets in about a few hundred thousand years' time (and this is after we've run out of CJK characters, among other scripts), are we going to resort to random symbols that Unicode has, like "⌱", "⩐", and "⍲"?

I can hardly wait for generation U+1F595

This needs to happen sooner rather than later.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: May 23, 2021, 06:56:31 am »

This thing's been bugging me for a bit: in BoTW, there's a specific track that plays when you're in cold areas (which I believe means Cold Resistance >= 1 required), and it sounds strangely familiar. It sounds like something off Fallout: New Vegas (perhaps one recycled from 1 and 2?), but I can't find which one it is. I think it's one of the abandoned(-ish) vaults in NV, but I don't remember which one.

Am I losing it, or is there really a part of Fallout's OST that sounds like the "cold area" soundtrack in BoTW?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: May 25, 2021, 11:25:54 am »

I'm eligible for a stimulus package of about $40 US equivalent (which is low, but consider exchange rates and the fact it's targeted at college students) from my government, but the catch is that it can only be redeemed as credit in digital wallets. It's not a check straight into my bank account.

My plan is to buy some stuff online with the credit. I'm sorta struggling as to what I could buy for that much. Only thing on my mind is a few micro-USB cables as spares for this new budget phone of mine, and maybe a Lightning cable for if I encounter an iPhone user. Cables (even the fancier cables I prefer) don't really cost enough to exhaust that budget. Not unless if I buy an unreasonable amount of them. A spare Xbox 360 wireless receiver, too, but I still wouldn't run out of credit.

Help me out here: what small, cheap thing could I buy online? Assume I'm limited to stuff you can get on Amazon or Ebay (or equivalent). I'd be open to anything if I could be convinced that it has some use, even if it's not necessarily a practical one. I could probably go for a plushy right about now to decorate my corner of my dorm room, but not sure of what.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: May 25, 2021, 11:44:02 am »

Here are my recommendations:

Socks: Where I live, the government is currently banning the sale of socks at brick and mortar because they "aren't essential", even at superstores that are open anyway. All of my other pairs now have holes in them and I'm down to my last two.

Books: If you ever wanted to read something, now is the time to get into it. I personally prefer reading my books at the library, but they don't have everything (like the discworld novels).
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: May 25, 2021, 12:44:00 pm »

Non-perishable Food?
Clothing?

But yeah, $40 that you can only use online (presumably with shipping and handling of about $9 in many cases) is garbage.  A gift card for McDonalds or whatever is the largest convenience store would be better.  But hey, free money is free money I guess...

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: May 25, 2021, 01:25:14 pm »

Non-perishable Food?
Clothing?

Sundrop?  Sundrop in a bottle?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: May 25, 2021, 01:30:40 pm »

After we run out of actual letters from alphabets in about a few hundred thousand years' time (and this is after we've run out of CJK characters, among other scripts), are we going to resort to random symbols that Unicode has, like "⌱", "⩐", and "⍲"?

I like your optimism that the human race is actually going to survive that long.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: May 25, 2021, 02:06:37 pm »

I like your optimism that the human race is actually going to survive that long.

And I abhore your Xenophobia.  Aliens have rights too, and blended children should also count.  ;D
And to say nothing about the machines, our "children" just as well as the bioforms!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: May 25, 2021, 06:17:35 pm »

Where I live, the government is currently banning the sale of socks at brick and mortar because they "aren't essential", even at superstores that are open anyway.
Wow, where's that? That's... bizarre.

And I abhore your Xenophobia.  Aliens have rights too, and blended children should also count.  ;D
And to say nothing about the machines, our "children" just as well as the bioforms!
Expecting either of those things to happen is so much more optimistic!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: May 25, 2021, 06:22:08 pm »

Where I live, the government is currently banning the sale of socks at brick and mortar because they "aren't essential", even at superstores that are open anyway.
Wow, where's that? That's... bizarre.

Somewhere in Canada. I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned my province or city before and I’d like to keep it that way, but this is probably enough info to dox me anyway.

As far as Covid regulation is concerned, my country is a laughingstock.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: May 25, 2021, 06:30:38 pm »

As far as Covid regulation is concerned, my country is a laughingstock.
I certainly won't disagree with you there.

Country's all I wanted to know anyway, so thanks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: May 26, 2021, 01:16:04 am »

Quote from: heydude6
heydude6 is Canadian
Wow, you've totally changed all my stereotypes about Canadians!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: May 26, 2021, 02:10:06 am »

heydude6 is Canadian

If it makes you feel any better, I wasn’t born here. Just raised. My nationality is Ukrainian and so were my parents. As a result I ended up with a personality more aligned with that culture. I think what you’re seeing is my Slavic cynicism.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: May 26, 2021, 02:12:27 am »

heydude6 is Canadian

If it makes you feel any better, I wasn’t born here. Just raised. My nationality is Ukrainian and so were my parents. As a result I ended up with a personality more aligned with that culture. I think what you’re seeing is my Slavic cynicism.
That actually makes a lot of sense.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: May 26, 2021, 02:22:45 am »

But yeah, $40 that you can only use online (presumably with shipping and handling of about $9 in many cases) is garbage.  A gift card for McDonalds or whatever is the largest convenience store would be better.  But hey, free money is free money I guess...

Cost of living, my dude. Maybe $9 is a reasonable amount for you to pay in shipping, but if it always costed at least $9 where I live, no-one would buy anything online. Or use the postal system at all, for that matter. Just pretend that the price of shipping is negligible. It isn't if I'm buying lots of small knickknacks from multiple sellers (thus causing the price of shipping to accumulate), but that's an edge case.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 02:25:22 am by methylatedspirit »
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 637