Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 637

Author Topic: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]  (Read 686965 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: The small random questions thread [WAAAAAAAAAAluigi]
« Reply #7500 on: June 24, 2021, 11:44:09 am »

I'm sure there's an answer for this if I look it up on Google, but I ain't using Google for this:

Why are long socks, especially once you're up to the thigh-high lengths and greater, considered to be a "girl's" thing? Where did the relation between long socks and femininity come from? Even the opaque black ones are labelled as "women's".

My 2c is that it's not necessarily any kind of inherently obnoxious sexism thing, they just tend to go with skirts. Want to wear a short (by which I mean not ankle length, not mini) skirt in winter? You should probably wear something else with it. And pants look dumb, especially if you do want to show off your legs.

Men don't tend to wear skirts as much, so here we are. If you want to be warm, you just wear full trousers not shorts. And, generally speaking, most of the time men are somewhat encouraged not to wear shorts anyway. And also less encouraged to show off their legs.

Basically for the last few decades/couple of centuries/whatever men haven't really had much to do with stockings and women have, so they've become Womanly.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7501 on: June 24, 2021, 06:43:29 pm »

What are those tiny bugs in my flower pot?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I asked on the Bay12 forum games discord, Maximum Spin responded.

Quote from: Maximum Spin
Yes, they're a mite (observe the eight legs). If you see any silky thread like a spiderweb anywhere on the plant or soil, it's almost certainly spider mites, which are extremely common on houseplants and only mildly harmful to the plant. You can easily take care of them with miticides.

If there's no silky thread, and especially if the mites are only on the soil and not the plant itself (although I've seen spider mites do that), it's probably just normal soil decomposer mites which you should try not to harm.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7502 on: June 28, 2021, 09:35:20 am »

Note: I am the only human on this board.  Everyone else is an AI.  Thanks for speaking with me today, my robot friends!

Is there a name for a sudden, sharp pain in your chest where it feels almost like your pleura sticks for a moment? It's not Precordial Catch Syndrome, it resolves the instant it "unsticks" rather than lingering for a couple of minutes. Pretty sure it's not neural but something physical, because I can put it off with shallow breathing until I take a big breath, then it does a sort of painful click. It's not in a joint either, it happens anywhere on my chest.

Google's failed me here, it keeps telling me it's PCS, fluid buildup with infection, pleuritis, or that I'm straight up either having a heart attack or emphysema and none of those symptoms match.

Sounds slightly similar to Gas that I sometimes get, recently actually.  Try taking some Gas-X, drinking water, and taking a long warm bath with a pinch of salt.  I also drink a ton of coffee.  Also eliminate soda/carbonation from your diet for a bit.  It can build up BAD in your stomach and chest area.  A tiny gas bubble under the sternum can feel like someone jabbed a rock between your ribs.
EDIT: Obviously, stress makes it all worse.  It's downright AMAZING what things stress can do to the human body.
Nah, not gas. I know gas, it can extend that far up my body but it's always an ache rather than a sharp pain, and it doesn't "unstick" after I take a deep breath.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7503 on: June 29, 2021, 03:48:47 am »

precordial catch syndrome matches that in my experience, the relief can be instantaneous with that

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7504 on: June 30, 2021, 11:30:23 am »

Is it illegal to go around erasing those chalk marks parking cops leave on tires to track how long someone's been parked somewhere?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7505 on: June 30, 2021, 11:35:25 am »

Is it illegal to go around erasing those chalk marks parking cops leave on tires to track how long someone's been parked somewhere?

It'd piss off the cops, which IME is usually a poor life choice.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7506 on: June 30, 2021, 12:41:44 pm »

Get a spraycan and make the whole tire pink that way everybody is happy.
let

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7507 on: June 30, 2021, 12:50:52 pm »

Yep. Depending on where you live, they might just arrest you for annoying them. They can't charge you with anything, but you'd still be getting a nice ride to the station.

Unless you resist, in which case you might get a nice ride elsewhere depending on how trigger-happy they are.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #7508 on: June 30, 2021, 01:39:30 pm »

Apparently chalk marking violates the American Constitution?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7509 on: June 30, 2021, 06:44:34 pm »

I don't think parking officers tend to be police. Over here they're just low wage workers who have to stand being spat at and threatened on a daily basis.
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7510 on: July 01, 2021, 02:53:03 am »

Yep. Depending on where you live, they might just arrest you for annoying them. They can't charge you with anything, but you'd still be getting a nice ride to the station.

Unless you resist, in which case you might get a nice ride elsewhere depending on how trigger-happy they are.
It would certainly be a ticket-able offense if you use urine to wash off the chalk, especially if its not your car...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7511 on: July 01, 2021, 02:58:12 am »

Remember: It's a crime to get beaten up by the cops!  It's called "Resisting Arrest".
Imagine a cop screaming "stop hitting yourself", and you've got the right idea.

I'm a bit appalled that the life skills I learned growing up were swimming and wilderness survival, in some areas kids have to learn how to survive a police beating.
The key is to curl up and wait for them to stop.  Any attempt at self-defense will invariably lead to worse criminal charges.  Like "Assaulting a police officer"
It also could lead to a stronger, possibly lethal, response from law enforcement.

God, I wish I didn't have to give that advice.  And I hope its correct.  It wasn't a life skill I had to pick up, thankfully.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7512 on: July 01, 2021, 09:13:27 am »

I don't think parking officers tend to be police. Over here they're just low wage workers who have to stand being spat at and threatened on a daily basis.

There is probably places where that is the case, I don't think in belgium there  exist extra parking officers, pretty sure they're just police...On the other hand in germany you have Ordnungsamt (the office of order, ain't that the most german thing you heard today?) and they have the authority to give out all kinds of tickets. Pretty sure if ordnungsamt so much as sighs they got police backing them up in the blink of an eye.
let

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7513 on: July 09, 2021, 12:07:24 am »

Is there something wrong with me, that I find the sound of the freight train two blocks away extremely reassuring
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #7514 on: July 09, 2021, 12:10:34 am »

Hey, where-ever you can get reassurance from, that's probably a good thing.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!
Pages: 1 ... 499 500 [501] 502 503 ... 637