Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

In what manner shall death be dealt with?

One death is it! Afterwards, either upload the save or build a fortress for future adventurers.
- 2 (16.7%)
Everyone shall have two goes at it! If you die once, you can start fresh with a new adventurer. Die twice, and you're done - upload the save.
- 5 (41.7%)
As many tries as you like; so long as you stick to the one-week limit, you may start as many new adventurers as it takes.
- 3 (25%)
Save scumming is fine. However many tries it takes to get your chosen hero to her/his destination.
- 2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: August 02, 2012, 07:17:16 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: [Succession] Adventurer's Retirement Home  (Read 21237 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
[Succession] Adventurer's Retirement Home
« on: July 24, 2012, 11:03:55 am »

I've been enjoying the Museum adventurer succession game and wanted to see more of these types, so I've built a lovely adventurer's retirement community for tired old adventurers to enjoy. It's a fortress which has been left active using DFHack, so that adventurers can retire there. From the original thread in the Adventurer Mode forum:

Spoiler: Graphical Tour (click to show/hide)

General turn rules will be about the same as the museum game:

1. One week turns. We'll be strict about this to try to keep wait time to a minimum.
2. Based on the results of our player poll, each player will get two "lives." Once dead, you may make a fortress, but stick to the time limit please.
3. Players may start with any level including Demigod. It should be difficult enough without the added difficulty of starting as a peasant, although bonus points will be awarded to anyone who faces that challenge!
4. Write us a story! The more details the better, and screen shots are also strongly encouraged.

Game-specific rules:

The objective for each adventurer is to retire in Releasedsouls, the retirement community. The map location will be provided below. Not just anyone can be accepted into the community, however. Only the best of the best will earn a spot! To be accepted to the community, an adventurer must have:

-An item of significance to be contributed to the exhibition hall. Up to you what's considered "significant."
-A title.
-At least 3 legendary skills.
-Discovered or explored at least one "new" location. This can be as simple as discovering and clearing out an animal's lair, or as involved as cleansing an entire dark tower. Also accepted would be exploring a player-made fortress for the first time, finding and completing a labyrinth, finding an entrance to the underworld, etc.

The adventurer must then make their way to the retirement center, put their item on one of the tables in the exhibition hall, claim a room, drop most of their items there to mark it theirs, and retire. YOU MUST RETIRE ONCE YOU MEET THE REQUIREMENTS, IN ORDER TO PRESERVE SOME ADVENTURE IN THE WORLD FOR FUTURE PLAYERS.

The retirement center is STRICTLY NON-VIOLENT. This means you may NOT attack anyone there, and you also may not bring any hostiles into the retirement center such as zombies or bogeymen. If you're not strong enough to fight off the bogeymen yourself before you get there to avoid disturbing the peace, you are probably not good enough to merit retirement anyway. Henchmen are also not allowed unless they somehow also meet the requirements to retire - use your own judgement on that one.

Rules might be tweaked in the future if necessary.

Spoiler: Maps (click to show/hide)

Turnlist:
1. Sappho - completed
2. melkorp - completed Story
3. Eric Blank - completed Story
4. Broken - completed Story 1 - Story 2
5. uber pye - current Story 1 - Story 2 - Story 3 - Story 4 and Save
6. DrunkenCaveOgre - Skipped
7. Replica (turn forfeited)
8. Manze (current)
9. Sprin
10. Bralbaard
11. Sappho
12. melkorp
13. Hanslanda
14. Vodrilus
15. MrWillsauce
16. xominxac

I'll put up my initial turn in the next post. It's nothing spectacular and in fact it was intended to be just a test run, but I simply can't look at it anymore and I need a break, so I'm putting it up as my turn and ready to hand off to the next player.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:40:26 am by Sappho »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: [Succession] Adventurer's Retirement Home
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 11:04:11 am »

My name is Milo Riperight. I was born in a small village in the Empire of Combinations. Nevermind who my parents were or what my childhood was like. All you need to know is that I was a fighter from the start. I seemed to have natural talent with whatever weapon I took up, and no one who stood against me could ever manage even the slightest scratch on my body. Naturally there came a day when I grew tired of sparring with the neighborhood simpletons and their pets, and set out to make a name for myself. I could protect the people with skills like mine. I could also get mighty rich and famous.

Fool that I was… I started taking on bandits, renegade kobolds and goblins. Then I moved up to fearsome “night creatures” and vampires. Before long there were no more threats. There was nothing left to defeat. There was no war, no bandits, no crime. Even the bogeymen couldn’t stand against me, and I spent several nights guarding the homes of frightened orphans before the wicked little critters learned never to come back.

I was considered a legendary hero by the locals. They even gave me the unique title “the Inconsiderate Clash of Ghosts.” But inside of me, nothing had changed. I was still restless, still bored. So I left.

I headed east to a neighboring kingdom, dropping into lairs I found along the way and relieving the beasts within of their skins. It became my only joy in life, collecting these hides and strapping them to my pack as a warning to any creature that might dare to attack me.

At last I grew close to the capital city of this unfamiliar realm. I chose to move in this direction because it was closer to the more savage eastern lands. Perhaps they could give me more interesting and challenging tasks to complete. Dragons, necromancers, fearsome creatures of the night which might actually prove worthy opponents.

I strode up to the keep and introduced myself to the ruler of the kingdom, then inquired as to what threats I might annihilate for them. The response was less than pleasant.

It seemed my reputation had not preceeded me, and the fool was unimpressed by the bloody skins of giant beasts strapped to my pack. I asked around and was disheartened by the needs of the locals. Bandits, bandits, and more bandits. I took only one of these quests, and headed to a bandit camp. The leader jumped out at me and I took its head off with one swift movement.

I felt my head spinning. I just couldn’t do it anymore. Without a proper challenge, I was doomed to a life of boredom – and boredom without even recognition from those around me!

I had had enough. I’d heard of a retirement center built by a collection of “legendary” dwarfs, located deep within the elven joyous wilds, just a few days from my current location. But to be permitted residence there, it would be necessary to bring with me a trophy worthy of their exhibition hall. I had plenty of skins and currency, piles of weapons and ammunition, lovely masterwork leather clothing, but no real trophies.

I set out somewhat aimlessly towards the east. That’s where the “savage” lands were, and maybe I could find something in a dark tower or lair out there. It seemed that whatever force had blessed me with this skill took pity on me, for in less than two days I happened upon a lair. Getting drowsy and pleased to find a place to sleep, I crept inside, expecting yet another tiger, but hoping desperately for something more. The smell of smoke pervaded the air.

Standing before me was a magnificent beast. 

Surely I had found a worthy opponent at last. I strode up to the monster. It lowered its head in preparation to blow flames in my face, and I took a single swing.

But it couldn’t be. It couldn’t be so easy. This was a dragon! One of the most powerful beasts in the world!

I could see it now. Quite clearly. This “gift” of mine wasn’t a gift at all, but a curse. After all the combat I had seen, all the souls I had freed, I had never taken so much as a scratch. And I never would. It simply wasn’t possible. It was time to give up. If I was going to be bored, I might as well do it in comfort. A single dragon’s egg lay in the corner of the lair. I scooped it up and strode purposefully to the west, stopping only briefly here and there to ask directions to the retirement center.

Growing tired, at least I spied it in the distance. A beautiful collection of shining white buildings with its founding dwarfs strolling around on the roads.

I struck up a conversation with the first dwarf I noticed. I judged him to be a cook by his dress, which turned out to be correct. And he recognized me!

It seemed this new friend suffered from boredom just as I. He hinted at joining me in my adventures, but I quickly made it clear that my adventuring days were over.

We discussed the possibility of my joining the community, and he seemed open to the idea. My adventuring record was more than sufficient, he said, and my dragon egg would make a suitable contribution (the first, in fact) to the exhibition hall. I carefully laid it on the first table, ignoring the tiny voice in my head that suggested it might one day hatch.

I then explored the humans’ apartment complex. It was completely empty, as I was the first human to join. I grabbed the first room I found.

Heaving a great sigh of relief, I began to unload my possessions. I spread each of my great skins across the floor. I made a pile of weapons, another of coins, and laid across my bed.

Yes, I would be just as bored here as anywhere else. But at least I would be bored in comfort.

(And the lists both go on and on…)

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:29:36 am »

This is excellent, I'll take a turn!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 11:31:58 am »

I'm uploading the save now. My internet connection has the worst upload speed I've ever experienced (and I am indeed counting those dial-up days), so it'll just be a few minutes, then you'll be up next. Are you able to start today? As I mentioned a couple of times, I want to be strict about time limits, so you'd have until next Tuesday to post your whole turn and upload the save. I'll add your name to the first post.

EDIT: Here you go. Enjoy! I'm looking forward to what stories come of this. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6707
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:40:17 am by Sappho »

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 11:35:58 am »

I'll start today, finish turn, post & upload by Noon next Tuesday.  Deadlines are good.

edit:
Got the save, starting now.

edit:
Whoa, elf adventuring is hard: wooden sword, no armor, no waterskin.  Didn't last long.  Starting again. 
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:06:42 pm by melkorp »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 11:40:42 am »

Link added to my previous post. Pleasant journeys!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 01:04:38 pm »

This looks like fun! Mind if I join?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 01:06:23 pm »

You've been added to the list.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 01:14:32 pm »

So you started this at last! of course, i want a turn.

Edit: The resosrt is a wonder, quite a nice job you did there.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:25:09 pm by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 01:17:05 pm »

im posting to read. im shit at adventures.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 01:59:39 pm »

Sign me up
but i may or may not have some dificulty doing it
also would it be alright if I use a tileset
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 02:25:00 pm »

sign me up for a turn OP! :D
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2012, 04:47:37 pm »

Sign me up.  hopefully I can set up my adventurer with little issues.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

DrunkenCaveOgre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 07:16:06 pm »

Could I get a turn? Im praying my adventurer wont die to a lucky arrow or anything

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 07:22:53 pm »

Ptw. This looks to be good.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13