Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130336 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #570 on: October 27, 2014, 12:26:45 am »

What would the theme park be marketed as then? Ordinary Animal Island Park?

As a zoo. Ultimately that's what it is anyway.

At its core, the story is little different from that incident in San Francisco back in '07 where those zoo tigers got loose from their poorly designed enclosure and clawed those three guys' faces off.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:36:01 am by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 27, 2014, 01:03:52 am »

The dinosaurs and genetic engineering in Jurassic Park are not at all essential to the plot.

The park would have been every bit as dangerous if a mundane bunch of pissed off tigers and bears had gotten loose instead pf a bunch of dinosaurs.

Hell no. Regular animals wouldn't have been able to hack the park's security system like those genius velociraptors.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 27, 2014, 01:17:49 am »

Revenge of the Sith is a terrible movie in general, but the cherry on top for me is the existence of Order 66. The clones may be bred soldiers, but they're not dumb; at least some of the commanders should have thought "Hey, this is a very strange command, maybe something's not right here" when they were told about it. And the order (according to Wookieepedia) was written by a Jedi. So, a Jedi came up with this idea:

"There are rogue Jedi, who tend to cause a lot of problems. Therefore, there should be a contingency plan to eliminate every last Jedi in the galaxy. Also, it only takes one person to give this order, because why would something like this need any safeguards at all?"

It only gets more bullshit the further you reach into the Expanded Universe material. Seriously, fuck the prequels. >:(

Also, any time anybody holds on to their wrist when using a handgun, because it looks fucking stupid and it makes no sense. It doesn't even work, because holding your wrist in that fashion does nothing to restrict the joint's motion, and probably fucks up your wrist more because the stronger joint in your elbow is taking less of the impact. Any time I see that, it will instantly take me out of the experience. It's a nitpick for me alone, but a nitpick all the same.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #573 on: October 27, 2014, 01:35:27 am »

Honestly that aspect of Assassins Creed was so stupid that I just imagined that the machine was actually a time reader that needed a DNA match to work.

I was willing to go with it to a point, but the whole "synchronization" stuff really made me wonder. Since taking damage of any kind reduces synchronization, that would imply Altair/Ezio were never, ever injured.
No, being killed is the only thing that desynchronizes you, forcing you to redo from a checkpoint, because obviously they didn't die before they died. :P Being injured is acceptable because..they were actually injured sometimes! At one point they acknowledge that you're not doing everything exactly how they did it (otherwise you wouldn't have any freedom), just the important strings of connected events in order to learn the thing you need to learn. Who knows what determines where you have start in the first place. Imagine playing AC from when they were a babby and having to watch every moment of their waking lives.

In the sequels, for "full" synchronization (to increase your max HP) on some side and main quests, winning the mission uninjured is sometimes a constraint.

Or Avatar: You have access to fuckin spaceship. Why don't you nuke the native from orbit rather than going into a fuckin stupid deathtrap?
At first they were trying to negotiate, specifically so they could avoid doing that. It was only later that they decided they had no choice but to wipe them out, and at that point they already had a bunch of resources deployed on the surface. Also, it seemed that they had other interests regarding the planet aside from the deposits of unobtanium.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 27, 2014, 01:37:56 am »

Man, I couldn't even imagine the public backlash from bombing the Stone Age Space Native Americans. The shitstorm would engulf the galactic arm.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #575 on: October 27, 2014, 02:04:28 am »

Man, I couldn't even imagine the public backlash from bombing the Stone Age Space Native Americans. The shitstorm would engulf the galactic arm.
Didn't they slaughter them anyways though? I don't think public opinion was a factor in their decisions, just "what's the easiest most time efficient way to obtain the unobtanium." They're not on Earth and it's to my understanding that the expedition was basically all military except for the scientists, so I'm pretty sure they had complete control of the flow of information that was being sent back home.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 27, 2014, 02:13:24 am »

They didn't. Really, the entire avatar project, which cost millions per cloned avatar, was continued solely as a PR exercice.

As for nuking from orbit, with what should they have done that. They don't really have the time to wait for 6 years to get a bomb.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #577 on: October 27, 2014, 02:30:45 am »

-the entire avatar project, which cost millions per cloned avatar, was continued solely as a PR exercice.
Didn't the Colonel guy allow it because it let him gain intel on the Avatars' giant tree home?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 27, 2014, 02:36:42 am »

-the entire avatar project, which cost millions per cloned avatar, was continued solely as a PR exercice.
Didn't the Colonel guy allow it because it let him gain intel on the Avatars' giant tree home?
Colonel didn't foot the bill. He took an opportunity, but there are easier ways to find out how to kill a tree.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #579 on: October 27, 2014, 02:51:13 am »

Also, the humans were very much winning against the Navi before all the wildlife joined in and overwhelmed them. Assaulting the tree and beating the Navi wasn't an issue, the natives took numerous casualties and themselves caused minimal damage against the soldiers. The problem was trying to fight an entire planet that was eventually ready to defend the tree together once the Navi were in danger. Something something neural network.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 27, 2014, 09:28:03 am »

To me, the morale of that story is: it's not okay to kill natives if they have awesome neural USB networks with entire planets, otherwise they're just silly savages and therefore fair game (for example, unlike Native Americans, the "spirits" of the Na'vi actually worked and stuff).

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #581 on: October 27, 2014, 10:32:09 am »

More like "big business is pure evil."

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 27, 2014, 10:54:06 am »

Revenge of the Sith is a terrible movie in general, but the cherry on top for me is the existence of Order 66. The clones may be bred soldiers, but they're not dumb; at least some of the commanders should have thought "Hey, this is a very strange command, maybe something's not right here" when they were told about it. And the order (according to Wookieepedia) was written by a Jedi. So, a Jedi came up with this idea:

"There are rogue Jedi, who tend to cause a lot of problems. Therefore, there should be a contingency plan to eliminate every last Jedi in the galaxy. Also, it only takes one person to give this order, because why would something like this need any safeguards at all?"

It only gets more bullshit the further you reach into the Expanded Universe material. Seriously, fuck the prequels. >:(
Based on that, I'd guess that the logic behind such an order would be "We need some way of subtly telling the clones to kill their attached Jedi in the event that that Jedi is actually a Sith." It didn't seem like Order 66 was supposed to be put in to effect on such a scale.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #583 on: October 27, 2014, 10:58:50 am »

Did all the clones actually obey the order?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 27, 2014, 11:01:31 am »

More like "big business is pure evil."

Eh, no that's the message that was intended. The message that was conveyed is that the only reason to respect nature and native cultures is if they have actual cool magic (if this had been a jungle planet full of useless Ewoks nobody would have batted an eye ;)).
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 88