Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130004 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #870 on: May 30, 2015, 03:02:19 am »

He *was* strongly implying that Shifu may have been critically injured tho.

Didn't seem to me that they had anything urgent to do about the village.
If you think that's fucked, every creature down to the smallest insect is shown as having sapience and language.

...What meat is in those noodles then? And what are the carnivores for that matter eating?

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 30, 2015, 03:22:07 am »

The real message is that everything won't be ok, unless you make your enemies kill your enemies. Thanks Disney :D
Actually, now that I think about it, that is a good explanation for a LOT of Disney movies... are they really trying to teach us that, hiding the message behind the "be kind/be brave" stuff?
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 31, 2015, 12:38:53 am »

He *was* strongly implying that Shifu may have been critically injured tho.

Didn't seem to me that they had anything urgent to do about the village.
If you think that's fucked, every creature down to the smallest insect is shown as having sapience and language.

...What meat is in those noodles then? And what are the carnivores for that matter eating?

None actually. WoG explicitly states every animal is vegan.

However some animals are definitely "predatory" like Tigress and in some shorts it gives them problems adjusting, which makes no sense since their default would be to be vegan either way.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: June 06, 2015, 04:04:31 am »

So I finally watched Brother Bear after all this time...

It felt like a hour long cat video (as in "cute") but woosh was it boring and with lots of lousy music.

I mean it was mostly boring me because the movie was like 80% montage and I feel the character development kind of entirely occurs within the montage.

Though I think what broke me is that other then the supernatural elements... the movie was somewhat realistic... Then BOOM! tons of bears together and they play up the "Isn't nature wonderful?" motif to the point where I just couldn't take it seriously.

Because yeah... being a bear is sooo easy... I mean it is like a freeken vacation... and they are all chummy with each other all the time...

It just reminded me of that Startrek movie with that culture who "Didn't use technology" and you see them with a ton of free time and just playing all the time... and I go "Yeah sure! that is exactly what a society that would need to tend crops, bake bread, weave linen, craft tools, and all that would be like"

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: June 06, 2015, 01:04:44 pm »

Because yeah... being a bear is sooo easy... I mean it is like a freeken vacation... and they are all chummy with each other all the time...

What? That means the Gummi Bears... lied to me. They LIED!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 01:08:08 pm by Sergius »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #875 on: June 06, 2015, 02:35:09 pm »

It just reminded me of that Startrek movie with that culture who "Didn't use technology" and you see them with a ton of free time and just playing all the time... and I go "Yeah sure! that is exactly what a society that would need to tend crops, bake bread, weave linen, craft tools, and all that would be like"
90% USELESS
10% USELESS CAT

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: June 06, 2015, 03:34:33 pm »

90% USELESS
10% USELESS CAT
... Just out of curiosity, was I the only one who felt like rooting for the human side, even though I consciously knew they were the bad guys?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #877 on: June 06, 2015, 04:00:00 pm »

... Just out of curiosity, was I the only one who felt like rooting for the human side, even though I consciously knew they were the bad guys?
No, Quaritch did nothing wrong. Hometree was an inside job, tear gas can't melt lignin beams. Legitimately, he did nothing wrong. You can play the happy music every time a human dies, but they were there to dig for minerals the Naavi didn't give a shit about. The humans tried to provide medicine, education, build up cross-cultural links and the Naavi were being giant carbon dicks about everything. So the humans send in the avatars to try and explain why the humans are there. Unfortunately the highly-trained diplomat guy dies and is replaced by the incompetent Jake Sully. The incompetent Jake Sully fails to explain why the humans are there, spending his time boning alien cat princess, and instead of trying to use any of his influence to negotiate between the human factions and naavi factions (HIS ONE FUCKING JOB) he fucks up to fuck his blue waifu.
Cut to the humans who begin building their infrastructure, where they begin clearing a path to the mineral deposit. They destroy a sacred tree. A tree they did not know was sacred, because the people they tasked with understanding the Naavi couldn't be asked to explain to their colleagues that killing tentacle tree is haram. Instead Jake Sully destroys the cameras of the digger, literally doing the opposite of his job by making the humans go even more in the dark. When they finally reach Hometree, after Jake Sully's inept efforts have failed, they first try clearing hometree nonlethally and only move to leveling it after the Naavi try using it as a launchpad to attack the skyships. When Jake finally gets off his arse to do something, he decides the best course of action to dealing with Quaritch is to kill him, so he assembles his great big army. Quaritch, seeing a massive fuckhueg army of blue giants, himself only fielding merchants, and not even the militant merchants like the space east india company - no we're talking space indian cornershop tier merchants, notes that Jake Sully has assembled 20,000 soldiers where before there were 2,000 and they were continually growing in number to the point where they could reach 200,000. Only then does Quaritch do the only thing that could save the human compound from being entirely overrun: Attack their tree God. Their tree God is especially notable for having assimilated human generals and scientists, giving it dangerous knowledge it could use against the human species.
Thanks to Jake Sully, after the movie ended, the human merchants will have made it home and human soldiers will have returned. Dropping tungsten rods onto their tree God from space.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: June 06, 2015, 04:05:10 pm »

Basically the issue is that Avatar lacks self-awareness and tries to pretend one side as good and the other as evil in very artificial ways when the intelligent viewer will see right through it.

You see it all the time in fiction, a lot of the time in fanfiction, and whether someone will take it as 'intentional' or not depends on their faith in your product.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: June 06, 2015, 04:10:58 pm »

They destroy a sacred tree. A tree they did not know was sacred, because the people they tasked with understanding the Naavi couldn't be asked to explain to their colleagues that killing tentacle tree is haram.

IIRC the scientists mentioned the trees being both sacred and more than they seem repeatedly and were ignored and/or laughed at
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: June 06, 2015, 04:19:38 pm »

I don't think I've seen that one specifically. But my experience with Star Trek has been than often when they encounter a species that is happy but doesn't appear to use technology either they're powerful psychics with godlike abilities (Errand of Mercy, Who Mourns for Adonais), or technology is using them (The Apple)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: June 06, 2015, 04:21:02 pm »

Kay then, was afraid I was the only speciest in here for a moment  :P

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: June 06, 2015, 04:49:37 pm »

No, you are not alone, several pages back I raved a lot about it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: June 06, 2015, 06:32:16 pm »

Swordplay and related combat in movies is shit.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #884 on: June 06, 2015, 07:36:14 pm »

Swordplay and related combat in movies is shit.
Argleblarge I don't like all this pirouetting and windmilling when IRL the other dude would just fucking stab them in all that time. Awful thing is, realistic sword fighting is even more beautiful dance dance step viva la revolution ;-;

Granted, I'll give a pass for unrealistic but stylized sword fighting.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 88