Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130283 times)

strawberry-wine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #975 on: October 13, 2015, 09:24:33 am »

Chappie has the best hacker scenes... for example this action-packed scene of the main character chugging red bull and 'activating' an AI program. (And no, he doesn't run any tests on the 'activated' CONCIOUSNESS.DAT)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: October 13, 2015, 10:38:13 am »

Chappie has the best hacker scenes... for example this action-packed scene of the main character chugging red bull and 'activating' an AI program. (And no, he doesn't run any tests on the 'activated' CONCIOUSNESS.DAT)
I loved the mix of *nix and DOS terminal concepts in the interfaces.  (Including ANSII windowing for some interfaces, which some think is a dying art, outside of certain Linux bare-bones installs!)  It looked suitably kludged together, perhaps various FSs and NFSs being part of the development network, just as I'd expect a tech development company in such an on-the-edge-of-anarchy environment, and with the main guy's apparent level of geek-savant.

But that was just from the one viewing of the film, so there were probably some inexplicable errors that I missed whilst my attention wasn't on the right bit of the screen to see them.

I did notice, however, that there was also a  "Windows logon" screensaver (XP version of c:\windows\system32\logon.scr, if I'm not mistaken; it certainly wasn't the equivalent version for Win2K, and I don't think that look lasted much later than XP, either) on a prominent monitor on the way to the reprogram-key safe cage.  Given that it's a 20-minutes-into-the-future setting, and that I still use XP (it's stable enough on the hardware I use it with, for the purpose I use it... and it isn't even my oldest system that I'm not planning on upgrading any time soon), it made me grin.

There's two explanations come to mind about why the .DAT wasn't 'tested' (before the 'live test').  The film suggests that the code (like human consciousness... very like it, in fact) is somehow just not comprehensible as straight bits and bytes that can not (at least after use) be so easily peeked and poked...  perhaps becoming quantum states in whatever CPU/memory system is now in use in such machinery.

The more mundane reason might be that it's a seed-egg self-modifying program that needs to decompress and 'fill' a system with environmental interaction (and with the internal architecture of the hardware that connects it to the environment) to properly develop (at which point, it's not so simple to thus copy; or copy over...).  The testing of the expanded CONSCIOUSNESS.DAT (unlike far simpler .DATs, such the usual OS for the policebots, and that other far simpler one also seen being uploaded across the board) would require a complex virtual 'chappie' simulator within a complex virtual 'environment', with a complexity beyond that of the (presumably sophisticated) chappie-bot and the real-world environment it would be exploring.  (See Gödel's incompleteness theorems, the Halting Problem, etc.)  Similarly, his in-house gadgetbot was of far too low a sophistication to support the computational requirements required for the target level of AI.

Although, despite saying that there was no testing (and, of course, the originally-planned illicit implementation was scuppered by outside forces... we have no idea what initial tests might have happened without their intervention and rush to go straight to the last step), there were some 'easy tests' that were being done, perhaps trying to block more trivial issues such as the emergence of a Dining Philosopher's Problem with distinct subsystems operating to mutually block each other for a limited number of inputs and internal states that can be more easily determined.  Either that or some more mundane form of compiler dependency/module-viability checking, but it seemed to suggest more than just this, behind its intentionally obfuscated technobabble on-screen treatment.

...but do stop me if you think I'm taking this too seriously. ;)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: October 13, 2015, 11:24:44 am »

Of course, those CSI scenes aren't even close to the best hacking scene evar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2JzfLU8Ds

Honorable mentions to Jurassic Park's "Unix" scene, and Swordfish.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: October 13, 2015, 05:40:58 pm »

Nothing beats Hackerman and his time hacking algorithms.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: October 18, 2015, 01:13:49 pm »

In Event Horizon the first creepy hallucination that happens seems to happen quite independently of the haunted spaceship that's responsible for the majority of the creepy stuff that goes on in the film. WTF is up with that.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: October 18, 2015, 02:52:25 pm »

I hate when sequels have a "prologue" like "lol all the heroes in the first movie died off-camera". A bad movie either way, Kickboxer did it and it was really stupid. "Hey your brother won the first tournament but the bad guy waited for him in the alley and shot him right after the fight. Also you have to fight him because honor."

It's almost as bad when these same characters are killed within the first 5 minutes of the sequel. GI Joe did this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: October 18, 2015, 04:40:52 pm »

Of course, those CSI scenes aren't even close to the best hacking scene evar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY2JzfLU8Ds

Honorable mentions to Jurassic Park's "Unix" scene, and Swordfish.

You would THINK so... But you have no idea how low CSI can go.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: October 18, 2015, 05:00:20 pm »

I hate when sequels have a "prologue" like "lol all the heroes in the first movie died off-camera". A bad movie either way, Kickboxer did it and it was really stupid. "Hey your brother won the first tournament but the bad guy waited for him in the alley and shot him right after the fight. Also you have to fight him because honor."

It's almost as bad when these same characters are killed within the first 5 minutes of the sequel. GI Joe did this.
Worf effect?  (Did they?  Haven't seen that particular sequel.  Mind you, I'm still rooted in the era of the Red Shadows and Baron Ironblood vs. Action Force.)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: October 18, 2015, 07:34:16 pm »

In Event Horizon the first creepy hallucination that happens seems to happen quite independently of the haunted spaceship that's responsible for the majority of the creepy stuff that goes on in the film. WTF is up with that.
Well chaos and the warp are indeed arcane.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: October 18, 2015, 09:40:00 pm »

In those cases they're a "sequel" in name only. There could be a number of reasons for this. Maybe they bought an already-completed unrelated script, and wanted to re-use an existing franchise to help market it. Or the original actors refused to do a sequel. Basically it's always a cash-in when this happens.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: October 18, 2015, 09:54:08 pm »

Ok here is a small one

But any movie where either
A) Someone offers someone elses soul
or
B) A Demon attempts to take the soul of a baby

I know it is silly of me to say this... But
A) You CANNOT give someone elses soul... I don't care what condition you put. MAYBE if you do a ritual that transfers it over... but the idea that you can just be good and innocent until the devil pops up and sucks out your soul... Is just completely backwards to me.
B) Really? A demon is going to take the soul of something completely innocent and incorruptible via demon powers?

Heck I still remember Phantasmagoria where a baby's ghost was still bound to the mansion via the demon influence... Yet even it couldn't be corrupted and just became... well... the most scary ghost in the entire game (but for different reasons).

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: October 18, 2015, 10:10:28 pm »

This reminds me of a sequel where I went "you gotta be kidding me!"

It was a 1980's disney kids/horror TV movie, called Mr. Boogedy (had to look this up: Apparently they're pretty good as that sort of thing goes, since they have high surprisngly high ratings on imdb, 7.7 for the first film and 7.5 for the sequel).

It was the typical, "kids see monsters, parents don't believe them" type thing, with the parents going "monsters? seriously? there's no such thing as monsters, kids, you're lying/crazy/making things up!". But in the second half of the movie the parents fully see the monsters and help seal them in the portal to hell in the basement of the house. So far, that's just a regular kid's movie, and makes sense in itself.

But then they made a sequel. And in the sequel, for some reason the family didn't move out of the house with the portal to hell in it, but that's not my wtf.

In the sequel, the monsters come back and are seen by the kids. The kids then tell their parents "oh shit, those exact same monsters we fought are back!". But somehow the parents did a complete memory reset. It's like Stepford Wives level. But now they're going "monsters? seriously? we sealed the monsters in the seventh level of hell, kids, you're lying/crazy/making things up!". According to wikipedia, some fortune teller also tries to tell the parents that there's danger but they laugh it off, and then to "prove" there are no monsters the parents conduct some occult ritual, which actually unleashes the monsters back out of the portal they sealed in the first movie. So, yeah, the parents had an excuse to be skeptical in the first movie, but the second movie just turns them into morons.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:19:23 pm by Reelya »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: October 18, 2015, 10:18:36 pm »

Well chaos and the warp are indeed arcane.

They weren't to the dang thing yet though

Also, It's odd. I've noted that people remark that Event Horizon is a spiritual prequel to Warhammer 40 K, but I'm not sure if I've ever heard anyone say the same obvious thing about Hellraiser (slaanesh) or The Thing From Another World (Orks)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: October 18, 2015, 10:23:10 pm »

The link to WH40k seems pretty weak for Event Horizon from my point of view. "nasty shit waiting for us in another dimension" is pretty standard fare.

Cliver Barker's stuff is much more clearly influential on the series. As is the Alien franchise.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 10:30:45 pm by Reelya »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: October 18, 2015, 10:32:38 pm »

Whereas it came out the same time as Hellraiser, and over three decades after the Christian Nyby version of The Thing
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 88