Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 88

Author Topic: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies  (Read 130285 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nitpicks that Ruined Movies
« Reply #1140 on: October 27, 2015, 03:21:58 am »

There are more Superman nitpicks but they're more about the franchise as a whole rather than any particular adaptation. e.g. if Kryptonians gain superpowers from yellow stars, why have they never exploited that fact in their history?
I've always rationalised this (personally, with no actual reference to canon) that it was only the kryptonian cataclysm that enabled the "Krypyonian physiology benefits from yellow suns", the same as it made "kryptonian physiology is harmed by fragments of krypton".

Certainly, for the latter, it's generally the violent explosion of the planet (or the star it orbits, depending on the version) that converts the liveable Krypton into an anti-kryptonian substance (or more than one). But kal-el, whilst saved, could probably have been subject to a personally beneficial dose (that jor-el would have known about, and how it would affect him), whilst riding the wave of destruction, away on his escape vector.

(Doesn't explain what has, or hasn't, happened to the likes of Zod or Supergirl, having been in the phantom-zone or else taken a different vector of escape from the planet at a different time.  Some handwavium may be needed.)

...again, that's my personal rationalisation.  Differing versions of the myth will make or break elements of its validity, accordingly, I know.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: October 27, 2015, 11:43:04 am »

There are more Superman nitpicks but they're more about the franchise as a whole rather than any particular adaptation. e.g. if Kryptonians gain superpowers from yellow stars, why have they never exploited that fact in their history?
The next time they reboot Superman what thay really should do is have it so that Krypton was destroyed by a botched attempt to reconfigure their sun that instead caused it to either go nova or go out
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: October 27, 2015, 11:58:07 am »

The next time they reboot Superman what thay really should do is have it so that Krypton was destroyed by a botched attempt to reconfigure their sun that instead caused it to either go nova or go out
I don't think a retcon would go over any better with fans than simple "re-imagining" inconsistency.

The one plot hole that the franchise did manage to avoid was handled very subtly in Superman Returns.  "Why didn't Superman prevent 9/11?  Seems like it'd hardly be a challenge."  (I know that DC uses fictional cities, but the idea needed to be addressed.)  Turns out he was lightyears away and lots of bad things happened during his absence.

Still didn't like that movie, but this aspect was well-executed.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: October 27, 2015, 12:13:07 pm »

I don't think a retcon would go over any better with fans than simple "re-imagining" inconsistency.

The one plot hole that the franchise did manage to avoid was handled very subtly in Superman Returns.  "Why didn't Superman prevent 9/11?  Seems like it'd hardly be a challenge."  (I know that DC uses fictional cities, but the idea needed to be addressed.)  Turns out he was lightyears away and lots of bad things happened during his absence.

Still didn't like that movie, but this aspect was well-executed.

And anyway Bin Laden took the Watchmen approach and did the villainous monologue after the act of terror.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:15:04 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: November 02, 2015, 12:49:25 am »

Issues with several movies:

-In Back to the Future 2, how did future !Present! Biff manage to return to the original timeline after changing the past?

-In Turbo the running gag wherein Chet becomes indignant after being mistaken for a girl ignores the fact that snails are hermaphrodites
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: November 02, 2015, 01:41:48 am »

-In Turbo the running gag wherein Chet becomes indignant after being mistaken for a girl ignores the fact that snails are hermaphrodites
Have you heard of the movie Barnyard?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: November 02, 2015, 02:01:16 am »

-In Back to the Future 2, how did future !Present! Biff manage to return to the original timeline after changing the past?

I remember discussing the movies with some friends and there are quite a few of these types of discrepancies. For example, how come there's no Marty that remembers growing up in the new household after the timeline changes in the first movie? You'd expect someone to have those memories.

Also, consider that the series doesn't seem to be a "multi-verse" idea. Marty affecting his own parents risks killing himself before he's born. So not only is it wrong that Biff got back to the old future, the old future itself should have ceased to exist due to the time shifting. So in one case, we have "no multiverse" yet in other cases it heavily implies there's a multiverse.

Overall, the movies conveniently ignore their own time travel rules or common sense in general whenever it would get in the way of a good story.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:09:38 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 02, 2015, 02:11:06 am »

Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense he'd do that, then completely freak out about a book of sports results "changing the future" either.

Also, when they go back in time to "biffworld" that makes no sense, since they should have gone back to the past of their current time-line, not a deviated time-line. Maybe you could justify the Biff part in movie #2 by saying that "time ripples" take some time to propagate forward, but that would contradict events in the other movies.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:13:27 am by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: November 02, 2015, 08:03:14 am »

Overall, the movies conveniently ignore their own time travel rules or common sense in general whenever it would get in the way of a good story.
There are many different time-travel conventions that could be used, and BttF mixes and match with no logic, I absolutely agree.  (Also a problem with the likes of Doctor Who, but with enough Handwavium to at least put a nod to it working.)

It seems to be a branching multiverse1, with possible branch-remerging2 (past the point of interference3), and while the Time-Traveller POV4 could explain some things, there might be a 'chronitron field'5 and single-instance protection6, whose feedback may or may not be responsible for the paradox-fade7.

I choose to believe that it's just a normal branching multiverse, at heart, with perhaps some degree of global inevitabilities (butterfly-effect proof at major levels of historical progression), but allowing small changes (the name of a particular ravine) and medium but personal-level ones (the prosperity of a given family) to take place within the context of a given branch's similarly-threading causality to that of a prior branch.  A Marty McFly 'returning' from the past is not replacing his new-branch version, but that new-branch version himself departed (to create a differing new-new-branch?) in every new-branch where we stick around long enough to see extended effects.  The Jennifer discovered sleeping on the porch, upon his return was not the one left in the newly de-Biffed/'recorrected' 1985 branch by the pre-Eastwooded Marty, but an alternate one who was left by an alternate Marty in an Eastwooded-branch by a Marty who had grown up in one or other Eastwood-derived branch (with its own Biffing/deBiffing branching effects, it appears) and had now perhaps departed to a double-Eastwooded branch (or perhaps, due to some weird memetic resonance, the equivalent real Clint Eastwood Jr had found himself named and/or popularised on the silver screen as something like "Clint Clayton", and was the inspiration for the Eastwooded-branch Marty in the part of history where he saved Clara Eastwood, or similar, from her legendary, if not purely mythical, tragic death).

The "fading away" part I can only ascribe to being a character-POV 'psychosis' as he thinks he sees his own future becoming untrue (in reality, leaving only a branch into which he could return as an immigrant time-travel 'returnee', having no 'original' there to soak up the administrative problem of him having a valid SSN/Driving Licence/etc.  This internal worry spurs him on to do the best he can to respark his parents' alternate past, directing the branch into a much less worrying (and, in fact, 'improved') future that he can arrive in, just in time to see his improved-future self departing for... whenever.)  That's the way it must work, to be in any way self-consistent.

(Personally, I'm firmly in the self-sustaining time-loop camp.  What you go back and do, you've already been back and done, and 'paradoxes' are already part of your history (as misunderstood or mis-applied actions) before you leave for the past to create the circumstances you perhaps think you're going to change history with.  i.e. it's Bootstraps all the way round, and the only stable timeline for the universe is ones in which the only time-loops present are self-perpetuating loops, or else the whole universe has to have a meta-timeout and be (not change to, but always be) a different timeline with a different conventional-time impetus to its timeloops that is consistent with being imparted with causes from the 'arriving' (into the past) part of the loop that support the self-same 'departing' (from the future) part of the loop.  But that's just because I think it's a far neater way.  Anyway, think "12 Monkeys".)

Meanwhile, at least it's not TimeCop!8

1 Arrive in the past and you create a new causality branch for you to interfere with.
2 Some degree of "inevitability protection" for macro-events that aren't totally changed, but also see below.
3 Maybe any fatalistic rebound to 'as near the original as you can still get' occurs the moment you leave again for the future?
4 The time-traveller takes their own memories with them.
5 The "Hey, wait, why I can now remember both timelines?" effect, in some versions of the genre.
6 Your arrival back where you originally started overwrites the you that never left (when you changed the past making it so that you wouldn't go back, although doesn't prevent co-existing (and usually spying on) your past (or alternate 'outatime') self
7 The one most annoying aspect to the films...  Be, or be not.  There is no 'fade away as things start to look hopeless for your future, and therefore current, existence'...  In a replacing-timeline, you'd be there there so long as you are capable and/or destined to ensure your own existence.  In a branching-timeline, you're from an alternate future from beyond the branch you created.  In a remerging-branching-timeline, take your pick, but don't fade.  Fading is a cause to other effects like someone saying "Hey, why is that dude fading?", so maybe there's a stable time-loop created, but that invokes other questions...

8 "Touch yourself [fnar fnar!] and both of you are destroyed"?  You can have interactions between younger/traveller selves, even up-close-and-personal paradoxical knowledge-of-the-future conversations, but when atoms of one body touch the likely-as-not different atoms of another body (firstly, your skin renews quite rapidly; secondly, it doesn't seem to need to be even as precise as 'left-hand touches left-hand' such that there's a definite topological point that touches its other-version exact equivalent point; thirdly, atoms don't touch each other anyway) it suddenly all goes to pot?  Time-Travel's ultimate recourse to hubris must work on DNA-matching/'soul'-based/temporal-biofeedback methodology.  Also, it means that it only leaves cloning as a viable method for fulfilling the old hypothetical question of the old "if you have sex with yourself, is that technically masturbation?" chestnut...

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: November 02, 2015, 11:31:41 pm »

Starver, now I want to hear your explanation of 95ers: Echoes (aka 95ers:Timerunners on Amazon Prime).

As for Doctor Who, the TARDIS is bigger on the inside precisely so that it can carry all of the necessary handwavium.  The show will lull me into a false sense of consistency, then pull a space opera like The Rings of Akhaten out of its ass.  "Strategic boo-boo" indeed.
Just got back, updating:

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 03, 2015, 03:46:28 am »

Starver, now I want to hear your explanation of 95ers: Echoes (aka 95ers:Timerunners on Amazon Prime).
Well, I've not seen it (didn't know it even existed... even Wikipedia seems not to know that it exists!) so I can only guess, based on the IMDB plot summary.

It at least starts off a bit like Next, with Nicholas Cage having a (mostly) limited 'look-ahead into all possible time-branches'.  But then it involves weirdness.  Perhaps Looper-like?  (I haven't seen Looper, for some reason, so I'm only aware of the detail conveyed by its trailers, but I'm guessing.)  Perhaps some 12 Monkeys business (although sounds less stable).  Perhaps a bit of Millenium (the film with the phrase "a force-infinity timequake"!).

As for Doctor Who, the TARDIS is bigger on the inside precisely so that it can carry all of the necessary handwavium.
That and the entire universe having been rebooted (in-show, even, not 'as a show') at least once.  Possibly twice, if not more, depending on interpretation...

The show shows enough bottle-universes, parallel universes, etc to allow for some of the remaining inconsistencies to be absorbed (even after the (not omniscient, but conveniently plot-scaled) temporal awareness of 'events' that Time Lords apparently possess)...  But also the (planned) extinction (as in 'never even happened') of the whole multiverse, by the usual candidates, looks to indicate that even the deep, dark corners of quantum 'elsewhereness' (beyond physical veils normally not navigated to even with Tardii) aren't sufficient refuge from inconvenient cause-effect problems.

(One has to imagine that, outwith the 'metaverse', there's possibly a meta-metaverse.  Aleph-prime to the Aleph-null original?  Or roll with "its the plot" and try at least to enjoy the deliberate consistencies within the current story-arc...)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 03, 2015, 11:09:00 am »

Well, I've not seen it (didn't know it even existed... even Wikipedia seems not to know that it exists!) so I can only guess, based on the IMDB plot summary.

It at least starts off a bit like Next, with Nicholas Cage having a (mostly) limited 'look-ahead into all possible time-branches'.  But then it involves weirdness.  Perhaps Looper-like?  (I haven't seen Looper, for some reason, so I'm only aware of the detail conveyed by its trailers, but I'm guessing.)  Perhaps some 12 Monkeys business (although sounds less stable).  Perhaps a bit of Millenium (the film with the phrase "a force-infinity timequake"!).
Of those, I'd only seen Millennium, which seems to have a strong tendency to revert to the "correct" timeline with the necessary action/reaction manifesting as a timequake.  They never get around to explaining why the timequake doesn't affect all of the time between the manipulation and the time traveler's origin.

Echoes/Timerunners has both time machines as well as people with an inherent ability to replay the last seven seconds or so for a do-over.  It also has just about every pathology you could imagine affecting a low-budget film.  One of the IMDb reviewers put it, "I would also recommend it to film students as to what NOT to do" which I thought was too harsh.

I can deal with low-budget issues with subpar acting, dialog, pacing, etc. so long as the story is interesting and kinda-sorta makes sense.  If we buy their explanation of time travel (both types), it still doesn't explain why (1) the ability to monitor past timelines isn't used routinely in warfare and espionage for perfect spying and (2) why the ability to monitor the past in "fast forward" seems to disappear whenever the people in the future are in a hurry due to events in their own time.
Just got back, updating:

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: November 03, 2015, 05:49:59 pm »

Of those, I'd only seen Millennium, which seems to have a strong tendency to revert to the "correct" timeline with the necessary action/reaction manifesting as a timequake.  They never get around to explaining why the timequake doesn't affect all of the time between the manipulation and the time traveler's origin.
There's often an assumption of 'meta-time', in change-the-past scenarios like that.  The 'reshuffle of causality' has to ripple-through the intervening time (though people between the past-point and the future-point are rarely seen, to observe whether they 'feel' the ripple as it passes from one to the other).  Or possibly its like a phased-array interference pattern, with minor oscillations being focussed upon the target (the point in the timeline responsible for causing the upset, i.e. in the vicinity of the contemporary time-machine 'gate') and only constructively interfering into a noticeable effect at that point.

Or imagine reversing the film of a droplet of water falling into a large body of liquid.  Faint concentric ripples converge on a point, providing just enough energy (in just the right way) to sloosh a droplet of water up and out of the now-still surface.

Whatever, it's usually tied to (and/or handily duplicated in) the scene-switching in the film itself, between past and future, the past-protagonist might be walking around the family home and the present-protagnist(s) are wandering around the old-and-abandoned family home picking up signs of things he did.  (PastP hides something behind some books, PresentP (on a whim) looks behind the books and finds the item.)  Not unique to time-travel plots, of course.  The guy in the past can be 'native' to the time and the present-day people are reviewing prior events as a 'cold case', for some reason.

However meta-time can occur when (say) a vase is knocked over in the Past.  It wasn't knocked over in the present, but now it is, it can be seen.  'Time ripples' (i.e. minor versions of a time-quake) might happen.  Present-day observers may or may not notice the effect (might depend on their real(meta)time link with the time-traveller), or notice that other (unlinked) people aren't noticing, even though things like their clothes are changing, newspaper headlines are morphing and ruined buildings become rebuilt and built buildings become ruined, according to the consequence of the changes.

(A related literary example, Terry Pratchett's 'Mort', the titular character is 'out of reality' enough to notice that the 'wrong trouserleg of time' featuring someone's survival from assassination is being replaced by the 'right trouserleg' where she didn't.  Whilst inside the Queen's Head tavern the 'interface' moves through it.  Nothing much observably changes at first (slight clothing changes) but going out through the door he discovers that the tavern he is in is now called the Duke's Head.  Nobody else notices (they are all living this other reality).  They're far more disturbed that he went through the door, but that's something else. ;) )

As a convenient convention, it is often taken that as realtime in the past passes for the person in the past (from the moment he arrives), similar realtime in the present passes (since he departed) before such changes to reality occur.  Sometimes this is because the doorway-to-the-past is two way, and the time in the past you spend through the door is the same time that you are not present in the present, because you're through the door.  Other times it's 'rule of plot', at best.

Whichever way, you could perhaps imagine it as a stack of parallel universe 'sheets', offset in the time dimension so that you travel 'n' universes over sideways (through the stack) in your time-jump and this takes you to the same-place-but-'m'-hours-earlier location in a partner universe, where m is proportional to n.  In your own universe's past (by 'm' hours) the 'n'-in-the-future slice's time-traveller version of yourself might have arrived.  Or maybe not, if (in line with your own actions, in the 'now' now, across whatever slices you travel) your actions in the n-sideways universe would in turn prevent the n-sideways, m-in-the-future version of yourself from travelling to the equivalent 2n-sideways point.  (If this version is stopped, then the 2n-sideways 2m-in-the-future version of yourself will in turn still travel to the 3m-sideways 'verse, right.  Just like you were able to do and -2n;-2m occured, stopping the -n;-m version that might have stopped your 0n;0m actions.  Simple!)  Whether or not the intervening layers in the 'stack' have their own array of actors/inactors doing similar things to interfere with each other at n±k equivalent positions throughout the stack.

I forget now how the rest of the series dealt with such paradox (I think it was more 12 Monkeys... more about that shortly), but the final episode of Goodnight Sweetheart (man finds two-way temporal doorway back from 1990s London to the Blitz-era city) is bookended by the redecoration of a flat bought by the man for his WW2 use.  When... something happens... he puts a message behind new wallpaper that he puts up, back in that time, just in time to be revealed by the contemporary redecorator of the '90s when he removes the very same 50-year-old wallpaper.  If the redecoration had happened prior to this point, would the message have been there?

Doctor Who's episode of 'blink' has something similar, driven by multiple instances of time-loops.  The DVD messages existed before the person who ensured that they were there found themselves in the position of being able to start to prepare them, and the answers to the questions existed 'before' the questions themselves were asked (and enough details taken to allow the asked questions to be responded to), but then we've already touched Doctor Who's... flexibility... with such things.  As an example, in a pre-restart series... 3rd or 4th Doctor..? ...there was a case where Doctor and companion are dealing with a pre-'now' invasion of Earth and the companion states that obviously the invasion failed, because they know Earth is unscathed...  one quick (surprisingly consistent and unmisdirected) trip back to the present in the Tardis and the doctor shows the 'ruined now' of Earth, that will happen to the past they have just left, and so they return to the past (again, the Tardis's steering seems surprisingly glitch-free) to thwart the invasion and create the 'non-ruined now' again.  (Yes, probably absorbed by the same thing that the Master tapped into his captive-Tardis paradox-device to allow the Tochlafane to subjugate Humanity, despite the eventual problems involved in that being possible... which, as it turns out, doesn't turn out...)

Anyway, as you apparently haven't seen it, my reference to 12 Monkeys is regarding its stable time-loop (assuming you don't explain it away as something entirely different).  As a young boy, the protagonist witnesses something.  Limited information about the 12 Monkeys comes from some time between the present and the future.  In the future, the protagonist is tasked to find out what actually happened via time-travel.  Back in the past, he features (has already featured) in the event he witnessed as the young boy and is instrumental in the generation of the original information about the 12 Monkeys.  To say much more would be a spoiler beyond the level I'm prepared to go.

Personally, I like the 12 Monkeys plot (done well, you don't even need to be fooled into thinking it won't be one, because there's still things to discover!), insofar as it fits my world-view of how time-loops work.  However, I'm equally happy with (good) flip-flopping timeline plots, branch-generation plots, etc, if they measure their resilience and consistency well to how hard/soft their intrinsic 'background science' is.

Thus, Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey ("...we just need to remember to come back and put the key where we can find it... ah, here it is...") is a good treatment of 'soft' time-loops, if a bit deus-ex, but also Interstellar... (in ways I won't describe, because it's maybe still on some people's to-watch lists).

The classic (original?) Time Travel/Butterfly Effect story "A Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury works for time-branching/redoing, exactly enough for the setting, and then of course HG Wells's own "The Time Machine" appears to avoid such problems by the sheer scale of time, ditto A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (in most variations).  There's a short story equivalent (which I wouldn't nowknow the name of, or how to find) which has a female 'merlin' from the future looking for a 'likely lad' to create a myth around with her own technologically-inspired 'sword in a stone' (anvil) setup (a tidally-powered waterwheel sending crude electricity through crude wires into a crude electromagnet which is the crude mechanism behind preventing anyone 'unworthy' from drawing the sword... unless she cuts the power, for the person she selects), and that hints at the same bootstrapping mechanism as the "...and how do we know he isn't the inventor of transparent aluminum?" part of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

The Narnia series handles time-differences by (as well as a degree of overseeing omniscience/omnipotence by Aslan, no doubt) having separate worlds, anyway, with conveniently differing flows of time, and, besides, it's magic and mystical! ;)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 03, 2015, 06:50:41 pm »

I think my problem is with just about any mechanism of routine time travel, because it inevitably leads to mutually assured destruction, an unassailable victor, or the frantic need to prevent the invention of time travel (though I'll Follow You Down had a nice variation).

If it helps, eons ago I read thru the GM materials for the Doctor Who role-playing game, and they described the fluidity of time conspiring to make sure important events occur as remembered by Gallifrey's history (which was is in our distant future).  Basically the book said to thwart anything clever and unexpected done by the players  >:(

Now I'm trying to remember why no one remembers the Cyberking in Victorian London.  Or the Tyranasaur.  Maybe I'm just not a Time Sensitive.
Just got back, updating:

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 03, 2015, 07:12:53 pm »

Now I'm trying to remember why no one remembers the Cyberking in Victorian London.  Or the Tyranasaur.  Maybe I'm just not a Time Sensitive.
Whether or not it's the reasoning, shortly after the cyberking (from the series POV) was switch to Doctor 11, and his "cracks in the universe" that led up to the major "universal reboot" of The Big Bang.  All kinds of things can have been 'tidied away' during this process.

The tyrannosaur (the Deep Breath one, I assume?) might have been sufficiently covered over/shushed up by the efforts of the Paternoster Gang, or a fledgling version of whatever Torchwood/Unit-type organisations occur at that point in London's history.

(Anyway, everyone knows that London's weird... ;) )
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 88