Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1007240 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #4860 on: May 01, 2013, 08:22:53 pm »

Ah, okay. Still way beyond our capabilities, but slightly less so than "infinite matter made from energy".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4861 on: May 01, 2013, 08:59:38 pm »

So basically 3D printing, but they use magical transporter technology instead of a series of tubes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4862 on: May 01, 2013, 09:01:43 pm »

So basically 3D printing, but they use magical transporter technology instead of a series of tubes.
Seems like a combination of teleportation and alchemy. Obviously you can't make an edible meal out of, say, plastic unless you transmute it into digestible molecules.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4863 on: May 01, 2013, 09:02:52 pm »

I always thought the Star Trek replicators made the foods basically out of nothing but proteins, I actually have some vague memory of that being mentioned.

Ah a quick look at the star trek wiki says that it's bulk matter that uses transporter technology to re-sequence the matter into edible foodstuffs.  I'm probably thinking the things from Enterprise.

I imagine if the starship ever ran out of matter the replicators wouldn't work. :P

EDIT: "Quick!  Scotty the matter tanks for the replicators are empty!  We need an alternate food source, point the replicators to the warp core, we haven't broken that yet this episode."
We're out of matter for the replicators! Everyone, trousers down and go take a shit in the tanks.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4864 on: May 01, 2013, 09:12:00 pm »

Seems like a combination of teleportation and alchemy. Obviously you can't make an edible meal out of, say, plastic unless you transmute it into digestible molecules.
The technobabble explanation that seems most likely to me is based on this.

Transporters function by disassembling their target into a phased energy-esque state similar to plasma. Presumably some sort of magnetic field manipulation device could be used to reorder the matter while it is in this transitional state, and if pre-established patterns have been fed into a replicator's programming it could automatically reproduce given patterns (food dishes), china and all, provided that enough matter is fed into the system. This would also explain why there's no apparent difference between a replicator that produces Tea, Earl Grey, Hot, or one that produces medicine.

So in other words complete and utter pseudoscience. But hey, it's Star Trek.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4865 on: May 01, 2013, 10:12:01 pm »

I always thought the Star Trek replicators made the foods basically out of nothing but proteins, I actually have some vague memory of that being mentioned.

Ah a quick look at the star trek wiki says that it's bulk matter that uses transporter technology to re-sequence the matter into edible foodstuffs.  I'm probably thinking the things from Enterprise.

I imagine if the starship ever ran out of matter the replicators wouldn't work. :P

EDIT: "Quick!  Scotty the matter tanks for the replicators are empty!  We need an alternate food source, point the replicators to the warp core, we haven't broken that yet this episode."
We're out of matter for the replicators! Everyone, trousers down and go take a shit in the tanks.
We're so over turning lead into gold. Turning shit into cake is the real alchemy.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4866 on: May 02, 2013, 12:12:45 am »

Well, that would explain why everyone complains about the taste all the time... >_>

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4867 on: May 02, 2013, 02:19:05 am »

No need for that, you have teleporter system, you can just beam it directly out. (I mean, when do you remember seeing a toilet in star trek? Teleporters make them obsolete. ;))

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #4868 on: May 02, 2013, 03:04:03 am »

Argument between a crewmember [C] and whoever it is that mans the teleporter [T]:

C: robble robble robble something points about stuff
T: Yer full of crap!
C: (in most logical response ever) Nuh-uh!
T pushes some buttons on teleporter console, pulls lever
T: Now you are!! MWAHAHAHA
C gets a shocked,pained look on face. Shortly thereafter dies.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4869 on: May 02, 2013, 09:38:23 am »

That actually happens though. Only the ooze is pink and made of grinded up animal remains (The parts that are normally not eaten).
thats what is kinda unsettling. your recycling meat... its so artificial.
Here's what I don't understand: Why not use it? What are we going to use it for if we're not going to eat it? Wouldn't it just go to waste? I'm hardly trying to defend fast food, but I'm legitimately curious what reason we would have not to use it.
Native Americans used every part of the animals they killed so it wouldn't go to waste, why shouldn't we?
Actually they killed bison en-masse and then ate hardly any of it.
They would kill herds at a time. And a lot of it didn't end up getting used because of the sheer quantity of dead animal.

Actually the disappearance of the Bison was blamed on the Natives, but actually due to the pioneers. So, the pioneers did actually realize at some level that ecological destruction is a bad thing, so you need to blame it on someone else. The Bison co-existed with the natives for 1000's of years, then disappeared within a couple of centuries of white habitation. Coincidence?

More than coincidence, it was official policy, later blamed on the targeted victims of that policy.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 09:42:12 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4870 on: May 02, 2013, 09:45:51 am »

We're so over turning lead into gold. Turning shit into cake is the real alchemy.
Actually, I'm pretty sure we just call that agriculture nowadays. Process is a little slow and tends to involve some additives, but hey, it is what it is.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4871 on: May 02, 2013, 10:24:57 am »

Overheard discussion after a lecture earlier this week...

A: "Those nuclear reactors we just learnt about - dont the US military use something similar in thier warships?"
B: "yeah... dont they name loads of thier ships after presidents or something?"
A: "Nimitz, Eisenhower, Reagan, yea, I think so.
C: "Is ther a USS Obama yet?"
A: "Dont think so..."
D: "When the US navy get around to building it, I bet they paint it a different colour to all the other ships..."
This is a blank sig.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4872 on: May 02, 2013, 11:14:07 am »

Overheard discussion after a lecture earlier this week...

A: "Those nuclear reactors we just learnt about - dont the US military use something similar in thier warships?"
B: "yeah... dont they name loads of thier ships after presidents or something?"
A: "Nimitz, Eisenhower, Reagan, yea, I think so.
C: "Is ther a USS Obama yet?"
A: "Dont think so..."
D: "When the US navy get around to building it, I bet they paint it a different colour to all the other ships..."

Can I facepalm someone else? D could really use one.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4873 on: May 02, 2013, 12:50:58 pm »

Maybe they were joking :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Ameablable

• Bay Watcher
  • Amy Bull Able
    • View Profile
« Reply #4874 on: May 02, 2013, 12:57:13 pm »

Quote from: Wet Willy as we call him
The Hobbit is a bad book because Tolkien intended it to be a childrens book so that makes it bad.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 510