Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002186 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2012, 04:12:48 am »

I use this fort for everything (Century gothic) - all personal correspondance and work materials. It has a nice bonus of being about 10 to 15% lighter on toner usage, which when you print a lot of lecture/seminar materials is a decent saving. That, and its not overused, yet.

CERN used comic sans in its Higgs Boson presentation. A little bit of me died inside with that choice.
This is a blank sig.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2012, 04:14:01 am »

My experience with comic sans haters though implies that they object to any use of the font, even on stuff like children's birthday cards.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2012, 04:37:36 am »

No, it's about using it out of context. You don't use it for obituaries, resumes, or anything that is even remotely serious. It's like using smileyfaces every other word, or ALLCAPS, it conveys non-spoken information contradictory to the message. It's like shouting ecstatically "Hey buddy! Guess what? Your puppy *drumroll* DIED! :D" That inappropriate.
I mean, yeah, it's a really terrible typeface for those, but that's not its fault. Just because someone plays Norwegian Wood at a wedding doesn't mean the song sucks, just that the person is an idiot.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2012, 04:39:25 am »

My experience with comic sans haters though implies that they object to any use of the font, even on stuff like children's birthday cards.
Well, here I am, a CS hater, telling you it's totally okay on birthday cards. If they are for children. Or anything else that's supposed to be comical, hence the name. The hate comes from the insane amount of people using it wrong.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2012, 08:02:42 am »

No, no, the thought process is that, "You get paid for work. Work is not a thing you enjoy. Ergo, if you're enjoying what you're doing, it's A. Not Work. and subsequently B. Not to Receive Pay."

You know what I really hate? Having to judge lingerie models. Oh please, Br'er Fox, don't trow me in dat' Victoria's Secret judgin' box!
And if you do, I guess you'll need to pay me exorbitant sums to compensate for the mental anguish.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2012, 08:31:14 am »

Personally, I love Jokerman. I just think it looks interesting, so whenever I decide to use a font for something not professional I use Jokerman. I am MetalSlimeHunt, and I approve this message. Damn if my username does not look absolutely fine in Jokerman.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2012, 09:46:43 am »

My mother: "So, who are you going to vote for? Obama or Romney?"
Me: "I dunno. Maybe third party?"
Mother: "What if there ISN'T a third party?"

A mandatory political science test before being allowed to vote is sounding really good right now.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2012, 09:58:28 am »

A mandatory political science test before being allowed to vote is sounding really good right now.
Just remember that someone who is not you and is probably an appointed official gets to write and grade the tests, and that idea should sour pretty quickly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2012, 10:03:46 am »

Yeah, yeah, I know...

:(

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2012, 10:09:30 am »

Personally, I really enjoy cutting like a third of a page off of essays with naturally giant fonts.
Shoes...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #145 on: August 02, 2012, 10:16:03 am »

Personally, I really enjoy cutting like a third of a page off of essays with naturally giant fonts.
Size 13 times new Roman ftw.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 02, 2012, 11:09:50 am »

CAN WE RETURN TO THE COMIC SANS DISCUSSION NOW PLEASE

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 02, 2012, 11:11:03 am »

I am offended by your careless use of magenta.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 02, 2012, 11:33:34 am »

I am offended by your careless use of magenta.
For extra irony, your avatar (when I hit the quote button) was a pink-and-magenta pony :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 02, 2012, 11:38:15 am »

I barely even see a difference between all these fonts.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 510