Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002167 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #870 on: August 22, 2012, 07:26:16 pm »

Obvious troll is obvious.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: August 22, 2012, 07:28:21 pm »

Who's trolling? If you're talking about the image Valid Dark just posted, I think meaning behind that is supposed to be obvious :P
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: August 22, 2012, 07:42:21 pm »

So on my new laptop, I got a free 60 days of Norton Internet Protection Something-Complex Service etc. Now that it's over, the little thing that tries to tell me to go buy it again sayeth:
You were once able to go online without worrying about the countless cybercriminals lurking out there or getting attacked by online thugs determined to steal your money and identity.

Oh shit, better turn the computy thing I got here off, otherwise I'll get mugged and my identity will be forfeit. Wouldn't want to get mugged by cybercriminals or anything.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: August 22, 2012, 07:53:46 pm »

Who's trolling? If you're talking about the image Valid Dark just posted, I think meaning behind that is supposed to be obvious :P

It's obviously satire, yes. Satire is different from trolling, though. Satire is proving a legitimate point by pretending to agree with the opposite viewpoint. Trolls have no legitimate point to prove by similarly pretending.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: August 22, 2012, 07:54:57 pm »

Thanks for the clarification.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: August 22, 2012, 08:01:26 pm »

It's obviously satire, yes. Satire is different from trolling, though. Satire is proving a legitimate point by pretending to agree with the opposite viewpoint. Trolls have no legitimate point to prove by similarly pretending.
[pedantry]

Both are actually satire. The point doesn't have to be legitimate. And many trolls are just outright lying to try and rile someone up, which isn't satire or any form of irony whatsoever.

[/pedantry]
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: August 22, 2012, 08:04:50 pm »

So on my new laptop, I got a free 60 days of Norton Internet Protection Something-Complex Service etc. Now that it's over, the little thing that tries to tell me to go buy it again sayeth:
You were once able to go online without worrying about the countless cybercriminals lurking out there or getting attacked by online thugs determined to steal your money and identity.

Oh shit, better turn the computy thing I got here off, otherwise I'll get mugged and my identity will be forfeit. Wouldn't want to get mugged by cybercriminals or anything.

Yea, I'm pretty sure Norton isn't protecting you from any of that even with it active.  Norton and McAfee are the equivalent to putting a 2 digit bike lock on your door to keep burglars out.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: August 22, 2012, 08:13:21 pm »

Yea, I'm pretty sure Norton isn't protecting you from any of that even with it active.  Norton and McAfee are the equivalent to putting a 2 digit bike lock on your door to keep burglars out.
"It's dangerous to go alone! Take this."

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: August 22, 2012, 08:14:05 pm »

A two digit bike lock that raids your fridge, trips you while you're going to the bathroom, and occasionally unplugs your phone while you're making important calls.

Had less problems with and less problems getting rid of viruses than I have from those two pains in the arse.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: August 23, 2012, 01:05:32 am »

A two digit bike lock that raids your fridge, trips you while you're going to the bathroom, and occasionally unplugs your phone while you're making important calls.

Had less problems with and less problems getting rid of viruses than I have from those two pains in the arse.
So it's like hiring Bender for security?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: August 23, 2012, 01:51:00 am »

So it's like hiring Bender for security?
Or the Hell's Angels.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: August 23, 2012, 07:25:27 am »

Avast is a good Antivirus, right?
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #882 on: August 23, 2012, 07:33:42 am »

I thought it was...?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: August 23, 2012, 07:35:25 am »

I thought it was...?
I installed it a couple weeks ago and spent the rest of the day trying to uninstall it before it slowed my computer to the point where it was incapable of so much as typing one letter in Notepad. I failed every time until I booted it in safe mode.
くコ:彡

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: August 23, 2012, 07:35:53 am »

My laptop also came with McAfee. Was a bitch to get rid of, eventually just ended up putting it on Zonealarms and Avast!s black lists.

I still may have some trace amounts left O_O

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 510