Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002225 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1200 on: September 26, 2012, 11:42:40 am »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 26, 2012, 12:23:01 pm »

I would say the first real democratic goverment would probably be the US goverment (technically the Corsican Republic beat it by 30 years, as well as having female suffrage, but that doesn't really count because it was so short lived and small). Setting the Magna Carta as the start date seems kind of silly.[/minor nitpick]
Except Athens beat the US by about 2000 years.

Except that Athens defined "citizen" as "free property-owning male".

I used the Magna Carta as a somewhat arbitrary "start" date because while it was essentially drafted for the sake of the nobility, it was still a recognition of citizens having rights. But whatever, maybe it was a bad example.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: September 26, 2012, 12:25:40 pm »

I would say the first real democratic goverment would probably be the US goverment (technically the Corsican Republic beat it by 30 years, as well as having female suffrage, but that doesn't really count because it was so short lived and small). Setting the Magna Carta as the start date seems kind of silly.[/minor nitpick]

I used the Magna Carta as a somewhat arbitrary "start" date because while it was essentially drafted for the sake of the nobility, it was still a recognition of citizens having rights. But whatever, maybe it was a bad example.
Actually, the restriction was a bit stricter. You parents had to be citizens as well, for example, and there was an age limit.(Above 30, I believe).

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: September 26, 2012, 12:28:34 pm »

I don't think your parents had to be citizens necessarily; you just had to be born in Athens. Also Athens was rife with inequality and mistreatment of women.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 26, 2012, 12:30:31 pm »

"Who's the current president?"
"Barrack Obama!"
"And what is he part of?"
"The first lady!"

I dont even.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: September 26, 2012, 12:32:20 pm »

I'm trying to make sense of that and it isn't working. Is it an insult? A complement? A statement of (probably absurd) fact?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: September 26, 2012, 12:34:09 pm »

I'm trying to make sense of that and it isn't working. Is it an insult? A complement? A statement of (probably absurd) fact?
It was my little sister getting help with her homework :L

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: September 26, 2012, 12:57:59 pm »

I like Malian history and the Swahili city states. They and north Africa are... Pretty much the only pieces  pre-colonial history in Africa I know anything about. Including their existence.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: September 26, 2012, 01:30:02 pm »

Except that the US defined "citizen" as "white male". it wasn't any less exclusive

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: September 26, 2012, 02:07:17 pm »

I like Malian history and the Swahili city states. They and north Africa are... Pretty much the only pieces  pre-colonial history in Africa I know anything about. Including their existence.
Well a lot of Africa doesn't really have much history to look at due to lacking writing. There's the areas that adopted Islamic writings, and one or two places that developed their own, but it wasn't a very wide spread thing in most of Africa.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: September 26, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »

Middle eastern and asian history are the ones I think are under taught, at least in US schools. They spent like a day on both of those combined. Apparently King Henry the 8th's promiscuity is of roughly equal importance.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: September 26, 2012, 02:15:01 pm »

I can see my house on Google maps with a zoom far enough away to see the entire country.

And to that last question, banks and tourism I guess?

That's strange. I must have a different version of Google Maps, given that I can't even see my city at that zoom.

Are you a billionaire?

And anyway, if we want to de-Europify history, the secret is to actually blend histories, not just teach Euro-American for eight months and then take one to speak endlessly on Africa and African-Americans.

My world history class did that wonderfully. In fact, we probably wound up learning more about China than Britain and the US combined.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 02:18:18 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: September 26, 2012, 02:19:47 pm »

That's strange. I must have a different version of Google Maps, given that I can't even see my city at that zoom.
You must live in a country that actually has a relevant size.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: September 26, 2012, 02:30:17 pm »

You must live in a country that actually has a relevant size.

Wait, do you live in Luxembourg? I thought you meant that if you zoomed in to the largest zoom where you could still see the whole country, then applied that zoom to wherever you lived.

So did you mean that you actually live in Luxembourg? That shouldn't change anything, of course, given that zoom levels are roughly uniform across the map, and I certainly couldn't make out any individual buildings in Luxembourg, let alone one house.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 26, 2012, 02:32:52 pm »

As I said, I cheated a bit to get one or two zoom levels extra. Still not exactly enough to actually recognize any actual buildings, but it works for actually seeing a blurry speck on the map.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 510