Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002219 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1545 on: September 30, 2012, 12:42:45 pm »

Well... Smoking isn't such a great example of this, because secondhand smoke does cause serious damage to those around a smoker. Now, the smoker may be killing himself off faster, but not being harmful to other people was a criterium in this discussion.

Honestly, and someone will probably ridicule me for this, but I believe secondhand smoke kills faster than just smoking. I feel like I'm going to get cancer before all my smoker friends, and I've had maybe two whole cigarettes in my whole life.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: September 30, 2012, 12:44:56 pm »

Well it can kill faster, but it's statistically unlikely. Second hand smoke has a lower concentration of all the bad stuff.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: September 30, 2012, 12:45:46 pm »

Well... Smoking isn't such a great example of this, because secondhand smoke does cause serious damage to those around a smoker. Now, the smoker may be killing himself off faster, but not being harmful to other people was a criterium in this discussion.

Honestly, and someone will probably ridicule me for this, but I believe secondhand smoke kills faster than just smoking. I feel like I'm going to get cancer before all my smoker friends, and I've had maybe two whole cigarettes in my whole life.

I think there was a study to that effect; it had something to do with second hand smoke not having been filtered like it is for the actual smoker.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: September 30, 2012, 12:46:33 pm »

If the room isn't ventilated, you're breathing everything hanging in the air, while the smoker is just breathing through his filter. It's possible.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: September 30, 2012, 12:47:34 pm »

Well it can kill faster, but it's statistically unlikely. Second hand smoke has a lower concentration of all the bad stuff.

You underestimate how little my friends care about me being in vast clouds of their secondhand smoke. :P And I seem to attract smoke very well. In a vast crowd of smokers, I will be the only person wreathed in smoke. It'd be a lot cooler if I could conjure fire though...
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: September 30, 2012, 12:48:22 pm »

Hah, smoke powers aren't all that bad either :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: September 30, 2012, 12:49:16 pm »

It is possible for someone to only smoke outside and/or only when not in the presence of non-smokers you know.

As for drugs, I take quite a few different varieties on an occasional basis.  Tobacco is the only one I regret at present.

If the room isn't ventilated, you're breathing everything hanging in the air, while the smoker is just breathing through his filter. It's possible.

Well, no.  Smokers need to breathe too.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: September 30, 2012, 12:54:24 pm »

It is possible for someone to only smoke outside and/or only when not in the presence of non-smokers you know.

Something being possible doesn't mean that something actually happens all that often.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: September 30, 2012, 12:55:29 pm »

Hah, smoke powers aren't all that bad either :)

I mean it, though. I attract smoke. Like, there will be an open air current flowing out the window and the friend will be downwind from me, and I will still end up breathing smoke somehow.

Something being possible doesn't mean that something actually happens all that often.

It is entirely possible that I will phase through the walls of my house. It doesn't happen much.
He's fucking with us.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: September 30, 2012, 01:00:23 pm »

Well I stick to those rules anyway.  Poisoning people is bad, mkay.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: September 30, 2012, 01:01:25 pm »

Well I stick to those rules anyway.  Poisoning people is bad, mkay.

That's because you are considerate. :)
He's fucking with us.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: September 30, 2012, 01:16:27 pm »

I did specify contracting, rather than spreading.  I like to think that people have a right to do whatever they like with/to their own body, so long as it doesn't prevent others from doing the same.  Besides, we live in a world where resources are becoming increasingly scarce.  Having a few less people burning up said resources isn't a bad thing, especially when they're the cause of their own death.  It's like smoking tobacco in my eyes.  Very stupid, but who the fuck am I (or you) to say that something that doesn't harm a third party is immoral?

As for otherkin, I don't get it at all.  Truth be told, I can't wrap my head around transgender folk either.  I'm absolutely fine with both though.  There are a lot of people who are very different to me, and that's pretty awesome IMO.

Live and let live, or die.  Whatever.   So long as it's all above board and consensual, I see no reason to judge.
I what they want to do effects only them I am cool with it.
If they want to smoke/get HIV on purpose I am not, because it costs the government a lot of money and screws everyone else up assuming they live anywhere where their is any degree of socialized medicine or governmental care for the elderly (eg. America, most of Europe and the other first world nations).

Actually apparently smoking saves society money by killing off people faster even though they spend a lot of money combating the effect of it.
I suppose that means that smoking is totally fine then (excluding the fact that it smells terrible and is annoying).
There have been propositions to cut these things out of health insurance. Ie, chain smoker gets lung cancer. His problem, governement ain't paying for anything.

Problem is that it would hurt the poor parts of the population worse than the richer parts,...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: September 30, 2012, 01:45:32 pm »

I support the idea of cutting those from any social health insurance: smoking, obesity, alcohol poisoning etc.

As for it hurting the poor people more... if they're so poor, how can they afford to smoke?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: September 30, 2012, 01:53:07 pm »

I support the idea of cutting those from any social health insurance: smoking, obesity, alcohol poisoning etc.

As for it hurting the poor people more... if they're so poor, how can they afford to smoke?

Can't tell if serious or trolling.
Love, scriver~

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: September 30, 2012, 01:53:31 pm »

Can't tell if serious or trolling.

Same.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 510