Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004267 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1710 on: October 02, 2012, 05:33:35 pm »

Probably Schizotypal, but I would have to see her to be sure.

That's pretty creepy, though.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: October 02, 2012, 05:34:44 pm »

Sounds like an interesting person to know.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: October 02, 2012, 05:44:31 pm »

Probably Schizotypal, but I would have to see her to be sure.

That's pretty creepy, though.

Schizotypal's not out of the question. There's clearly something mentally wrong with her. And yes, she's interesting to know... in a certain meaning of "interesting".

She also treats me like she's a stereotypical Asian mom. As in, she expects me to be the best at the class (because, honestly, I am. Mainly due to my memory, which is good for a language with complex paradigms), and always gets personally concerned if I get one question wrong on a test ("Oh, [name], it's 'supremus', not 'superrimus!'"). I can't even wait to see her freakout when she learns I'm only taking one semester of her class this year...
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: October 02, 2012, 10:59:46 pm »

And the crown jewel: she calls up my father one day to tell him about how well I'm doing in class, but she also has a concern about me: She thinks that I think I'm a time traveler. I kid you not. The origin of this concept: a brief writing she had us do about what we would do if we time-traveled to Ancient Rome. She evidently forgot this.

xD Whoah, that would be... An interesting class indeed!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: October 03, 2012, 03:57:40 am »

My school has Finnish, English, Swedish, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Latin. I'm only fluent in the first two, as for Swedish my skill in it mainly consists of "Jag pratar inte Svenska." I did study French in grades 3-5, but remember nothing of it.

What country is this? I want to know what school teaches that many languages.

Finland. Although my school is the 4th best high school in Finland.

Hmm, actually, I may be wrong about Italian, not sure...

Interesting fact about Finland: EVERYONE has to learn to speak Swedish, yet there are some, who don't need to learn to speak Finnish. Only the minority speaks Swedish as their native tongue in Finland, yet everyone learns it. The majority is only fluent in Finnish, but some Finns don't have to learn it.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: October 03, 2012, 04:33:23 am »

hm... is there a sami language?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: October 03, 2012, 06:15:07 am »

I'm sure it was just a joke, but yeah, invading Switzerland? Impossible. They're what happens if you take Afghanistan and fill it with the most militia-ist, gun-crazy American rednecks you can find, and also give each and every one of them military training and require them to keep their own arms at home at all time. You can't beat their army without crushing the entire populace.

They're kind of serious about their freedom.
Don't forget they mined out the Alps and there's hidden bunkers everywhere. It's a country, sitting on top of an underground military complex. Strategic bridges are already wired to be blown up, steep hillsides are mined to create artificial landslides, gigantic fortresses inside mountains, etc. (link)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: October 03, 2012, 06:23:32 am »

I'm sure it was just a joke, but yeah, invading Switzerland? Impossible. They're what happens if you take Afghanistan and fill it with the most militia-ist, gun-crazy American rednecks you can find, and also give each and every one of them military training and require them to keep their own arms at home at all time. You can't beat their army without crushing the entire populace.

They're kind of serious about their freedom.
Don't forget they mined out the Alps and there's hidden bunkers everywhere. It's a country, sitting on top of an underground military complex. Strategic bridges are already wired to be blown up, steep hillsides are mined to create artificial landslides, gigantic fortresses inside mountains, etc. (link)
now render that in ascii

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: October 03, 2012, 06:27:56 am »

Damn your ninja skills askot :L.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: October 03, 2012, 07:27:46 am »

Interesting fact about Finland: EVERYONE has to learn to speak Swedish,

Wasn't that law changed like just last year?
Love, scriver~

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: October 03, 2012, 07:45:24 am »

To be both on-topic and discuss the foreign language education topic, some pearls of wisdom from the high school Latin teacher:

"Yes, it's from Latin"; note there is no specific context for this, as she says it pretty much any time someone asks her if a word is from Latin.

"I heard 'Skyrom' [her pronunciation, sic] is a pretty good video game, so I bought it for my son for Christmas! People tell me it's got Latin in it!"

"If you don't put your name on the paper, I'll put in in the 'nemo' [n.b.: Latin for "nobody"] file."

"There are only two fourth declension neuter nouns, 'genu' [knee] and 'cornu' [horn]." One week later, and "gelu" [ice] appears in the text. Cue confusion.

On the subject of those two words, let's cut to her bizarre concept of how high school students memorize everything better with sexual innuendo involved: "You can remember these are the two because it's ironic, the words are 'horn knee', like 'horny', but they're neuter gender!". Actually, this worked. But it was still uncharacteristically... uncouth of her.

And the crown jewel: she calls up my father one day to tell him about how well I'm doing in class, but she also has a concern about me: She thinks that I think I'm a time traveler. I kid you not. The origin of this concept: a brief writing she had us do about what we would do if we time-traveled to Ancient Rome. She evidently forgot this.

This probably supports my theory that all Latin teachers are a little insane.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: October 03, 2012, 07:49:22 am »

Guess I was lucky to get the one sane one.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: October 03, 2012, 07:56:24 am »

I'm not sure, I think in Åland they still don't need to learn Finnish.

hm... is there a sami language?

Not in my school, no. It is an official language in Finland, though.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: October 03, 2012, 08:50:54 am »

I'm not sure, I think in Åland they still don't need to learn Finnish.

I meant the law about having to learn Swedish, though. Wasn't that made "by choice" just recently?
Love, scriver~

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: October 03, 2012, 09:37:43 am »

Pretty sure it hasn't. In fact, it was moved to start at sixth grade. IIRC, they did experiment having schools near the Russian border choose between Swedish and Russian, but I don't know how that transpired.

One thing that has changed is that it's no longer mandatory to take the matriculation examination of the second official language, but that was like what, 2005, 2007?

EDIT: That was 2004, it seems.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 09:43:06 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 510