Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004299 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1785 on: October 04, 2012, 08:08:27 am »

Wouldn't the lactase react with the hot sauce?
My wooden badge was delicious.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: October 04, 2012, 09:03:43 am »

Acid flashbacks. Mine are fun. :P

Suddenly glad i've never used.

Ecstasy permanently changes your brain chemistry the very first time you used it.

Can't find anything to back this up, so link plz?

It certainly changes your brain chemistry when you take it - that's how it works - but AFAIK you need to use it on a long-term basis for it to actually make noticeable changes to your brain.

Should also point out that lots of things, including meditation, taking up exercise, falling in love etc can also permanently alter your brain structure and/or chemistry.

Let me google that for you. Granted, it doesn't say anything about "first time", but when you're dealing with neuroreceptor production and brain activity, change due to long-term behavior indicates smaller change with short-term behavior. So yes, taking ecstasy a single time would alter your brain chemistry, just likely not in an incredibly visible way. I will note, though, that the way ecstasy works is hardly normal change in brain activity; it forces neurons to dump their entire load of serotonin, creating the extreme happiness associated with it. Because of this, users tend to have much lower serotonin levels after coming down, putting them into an extreme depressive state. Repeated use "wears out" neurons, making it more difficult for your brain to bounce back, leaving you in much more depressive state than when you started using.

It can also cause psychosis in some individuals in shorter time periods. But yeah, equating mild shifts in neurotransmitter production to the sort of changes caused by drug abuse is sort of absurd.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: October 04, 2012, 11:56:53 am »

-snip-

And I used ecstasy a lot. Like. Let's say, over the course of two years, I used ecstasy probably one hundred and fifty to two hundred times. Maybe more, maybe less.
To be honest, it is somewhat amazing I'm alive. If I could accurately explain all the drugs I've taken, and in what amounts, it would all probably qualify for being on topic.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: October 04, 2012, 12:05:28 pm »

-snip-

And I used ecstasy a lot. Like. Let's say, over the course of two years, I used ecstasy probably one hundred and fifty to two hundred times. Maybe more, maybe less.
To be honest, it is somewhat amazing I'm alive. If I could accurately explain all the drugs I've taken, and in what amounts, it would all probably qualify for being on topic.
0_o   Are we sure Hanslanda isn't Keith Richards?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: October 04, 2012, 12:06:19 pm »

Well the Retard Planet happens to be the only rocky planetiod in the system we can't keep a lander on for over an hour, so...

ERMAGHERD VERNUS EHS AH BERDARSS
When did we land on Mercury, or Ceres and the lot if you're going to include planetoids?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: October 04, 2012, 12:27:58 pm »

-snip-

Yes. I'm way sexier, and also a lot younger.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: October 04, 2012, 12:47:51 pm »

Well the Retard Planet happens to be the only rocky planetiod in the system we can't keep a lander on for over an hour, so...

ERMAGHERD VERNUS EHS AH BERDARSS
When did we land on Mercury, or Ceres and the lot if you're going to include planetoids?
Keyword "Can't", meaning we don't have the ability.

We could hold a lander on Mercury for a while and Ceres would be fairly easy if we stuck ourselves to it somehow. Venus fucks up everything though.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: October 04, 2012, 12:53:51 pm »

-snip-

That may be true, but you can't get no satisfaction.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: October 04, 2012, 01:03:48 pm »

-snip-

That's because he'll never be your beast of burden.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: October 04, 2012, 01:04:23 pm »

That's because he'll never be your beast of burden.

To whom do I make the Internets payable to?
He's fucking with us.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: October 04, 2012, 01:06:49 pm »

Jumpin Jack Flash, I assume. Or maybe that Honkey Tonk Woman over there...
This is a blank sig.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: October 04, 2012, 01:07:37 pm »

I no longer accept Internets, due to the failing exchange rate. Strictly cash on the barrelhead.

...unfortunately, I have been unable to procure a suitable barrel.

EDIT: And now I have a powerful hankerin' to go home and plow through several hours of classic Rolling Stones. (always preferred the Stones to the Beatles by about a million times).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:10:40 pm by RedKing »

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: October 04, 2012, 02:09:17 pm »

Not having drugs feels like my lover of five years has just left for my best friend, successfully sued me for my house, car, family, and dog, and then shot me in the gut.

When I hear dubstep, my jaw starts aching, and my teeth chatter, and I get a cold sweat. When I sit in a room with pastel purple paint on the walls (like, say, the one at Rehab) I get minor visual hallucinations. Driving at night is technicolor insanity you would not believe when all the lights leave temporary streaks across your vision.

Uncool? So you say. But it floats my boat pretty well.

Well, all these anecdotes about the long-term effects of hallucinogens have turned me away from them more than three mandatory school classes could. Congrats.

I feel that way when I hear dubstep already, though.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:10:51 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: October 04, 2012, 02:13:09 pm »

Acid flashbacks. Mine are fun. :P

Suddenly glad i've never used.

Ecstasy permanently changes your brain chemistry the very first time you used it.

Can't find anything to back this up, so link plz?

It certainly changes your brain chemistry when you take it - that's how it works - but AFAIK you need to use it on a long-term basis for it to actually make noticeable changes to your brain.

Should also point out that lots of things, including meditation, taking up exercise, falling in love etc can also permanently alter your brain structure and/or chemistry.

Let me google that for you. Granted, it doesn't say anything about "first time", but when you're dealing with neuroreceptor production and brain activity, change due to long-term behavior indicates smaller change with short-term behavior. So yes, taking ecstasy a single time would alter your brain chemistry, just likely not in an incredibly visible way. I will note, though, that the way ecstasy works is hardly normal change in brain activity; it forces neurons to dump their entire load of serotonin, creating the extreme happiness associated with it. Because of this, users tend to have much lower serotonin levels after coming down, putting them into an extreme depressive state. Repeated use "wears out" neurons, making it more difficult for your brain to bounce back, leaving you in much more depressive state than when you started using.

It can also cause psychosis in some individuals in shorter time periods. But yeah, equating mild shifts in neurotransmitter production to the sort of changes caused by drug abuse is sort of absurd.

That article is from 1997, this one from 2011 would suggest otherwise. I guess the jury's still out about the long-term effects (and I know several people who have taken a similar amount to Hanslanda in the past, who seem fine), but the point still stands that there appears to be no evidence that it "permanently changes your brain chemistry the very first time you use it."

Edit: Though it should go without saying that if you do take any drug you should do so in a moderate and responsible manner, and even then run a certain amount of risk. Not that that's often stopped me...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 02:15:16 pm by Durin Stronginthearm »
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: October 05, 2012, 09:15:58 am »

These two guys just started this political conversation by denying that they're libertarians with some disdain in their tone for the word. They then start talking about strict constructionism, limiting the government's responsibilities, and states' rights. Guys, I don't really know what else you could be.

Okay cool, now they're just talking about terrible anime. This is more tolerable.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 510