Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002115 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #1980 on: October 10, 2012, 01:33:39 am »

Apparently someone on YouTube blamed Tim Burton for high divorce rates.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: October 10, 2012, 01:41:22 am »

Then I demand credit for all bacon related physical injuries. No diabetes mind you, just good old fashioned bacon crushing limbs action.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: October 10, 2012, 06:03:53 am »

So, how does that work? Is just he going around marrying then divorcing himself to folks for the sole purpose of increasing divorce rates. Because if that's not how he's doing it then I'll be pretty disappointed.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: October 10, 2012, 06:08:21 am »

They see Helena Bonham Carter and realise their whole marriage is a lie. Yes, regardless of gender.
Love, scriver~

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: October 10, 2012, 07:17:32 am »

People. PEOPLE/ The Electoral college isn't that complex.

Let me break it down.
Instead of the Country itself being a single "unit" which I will now refer to as Elects. In this system every vote woud be fighting to over turn the entire elect which represents a country.
In our system, your fighting to wina much smalled elect, a county. If a majority of counties win a state, the larger elect is turned, which, in turn, fights to overturn another elect, the country, This is a little lopsided here, because the electoral college clances by population, so thode island has fewer votes then New York.

Now, regarding being able to lose the popular vote but win the election. It is a matter of elects, again. Every signle elect is worth the same, the bare minimun. Thats why they all have the same number of voters. But picture this, a county that is 100% Democrat, and a county that is 51% democrat, have the exact equal number of votes. You can see where I'm going here. All you need is the minumum you need to win, and force the opponent into wining places it was obvious he'd win. In Extreme circumstances, this may decide elections.

In extreme situations, you can win having only about 21% of the votes. Besides, the fact that county part of the election uses a first past the vote system encourages a two party system, which America has today. (2 party systems are not good, FYI)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: October 10, 2012, 09:41:32 am »

Let me break it down.
Instead of the Country itself being a single "unit" which I will now refer to as Elects. In this system every vote woud be fighting to over turn the entire elect which represents a country.
In our system, your fighting to wina much smalled elect, a county. If a majority of counties win a state, the larger elect is turned, which, in turn, fights to overturn another elect, the country, This is a little lopsided here, because the electoral college clances by population, so thode island has fewer votes then New York.

Now, regarding being able to lose the popular vote but win the election. It is a matter of elects, again. Every signle elect is worth the same, the bare minimun. Thats why they all have the same number of voters. But picture this, a county that is 100% Democrat, and a county that is 51% democrat, have the exact equal number of votes. You can see where I'm going here. All you need is the minumum you need to win, and force the opponent into wining places it was obvious he'd win. In Extreme circumstances, this may decide elections.

In extreme situations, you can win having only about 21% of the votes. Besides, the fact that county part of the election uses a first past the vote system encourages a two party system, which America has today. (2 party systems are not good, FYI)

2 party systems end up forcing the country into two camps, both of which rapidly become ridiculously over the top and pretty much ineffective because the other party is always attempting to block anything the other does. So... go USA, huh. :/
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: October 10, 2012, 09:45:00 am »

You get a system where people are not voting for X party, but against the other one. And when someone decides they don't like that system, and makes their own party to show their believes, it will steal votes from the party they have most similair with, causing the other party to win.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: October 10, 2012, 09:45:30 am »

Let me break it down.

2 party systems end up forcing the country into two camps, both of which rapidly become ridiculously over the top and pretty much ineffective because the other party is always attempting to block anything the other does. So... go USA, huh. :/
And both parties still use the tired old line, "We're not a two party system! You can vote independent!"

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: October 10, 2012, 11:05:51 am »

Let me break it down.

And both parties still use the tired old line, "We're not a two party system! You can vote independent!"
I am independent.

The Republicans have no brain and the Democrats have no spine.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: October 10, 2012, 11:07:23 am »

Let me break it down.

I am independent.

The Republicans have no brain and the Democrats have no spine.
And the Indies don't have enough pull to actually get into office. At best, you're playing spoiler.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: October 10, 2012, 11:09:19 am »

We only have about two independents in federal government out of 300-odd ridings.

Still, though, they get an actual seat!
My wooden badge was delicious.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: October 10, 2012, 11:13:07 am »

We only have about two independents in federal government out of 300-odd ridings.

Still, though, they get an actual seat!
They managed to have an actual influence. I'm impressed.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: October 10, 2012, 11:14:48 am »

The Green lady also made it in this time :)
My wooden badge was delicious.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #1994 on: October 10, 2012, 11:22:46 am »

Two party isn't the problem, winner-take-all is.

If a party representing 5% of the people could get 5% of the seats in congress, without those people all having to live in the same state...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 510