Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002053 times)

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2385 on: October 26, 2012, 01:44:15 am »

But the gays are cooking up their fairy science so they can get pregnant, just so they can abort them whilst worshiping satan and pissing on crucifixes whilst also murdering traditional families and stealing jobs from hardworking Amurricans.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: October 26, 2012, 01:48:18 am »

But the gays are cooking up their fairy science so they can get pregnant, just so they can abort them whilst worshiping satan and pissing on crucifixes whilst also murdering traditional families and stealing jobs from hardworking Amurricans.
Yeah. Sometmes they get abortions without even being pregnant, just for the sweet, baby-killing sensation.

You fogot the part where they force people to get gay-married in some bizzare home-erotic ritual.

But of course, there is no way I can write a conservative nightmare without help from America's Number One News Source.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: October 26, 2012, 02:07:38 am »

My college suitemate told my roommate who, more than once a week, spends hours cleaning his room that OCD doesn't exist.  Because its like ADHD, which ALSO doesn't exist.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: October 26, 2012, 02:13:04 am »

Check if he's religious. Then have a detailed discussion about things not existing.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: October 26, 2012, 02:17:26 am »

My college suitemate told my roommate who, more than once a week, spends hours cleaning his room that OCD doesn't exist.  Because its like ADHD, which ALSO doesn't exist.
I have actually been diagnosed with ADHD. It is pretty bad wby ending your chance to have discipline.

It exists, regardles of he says it doesn't. A fourth of the people in America have it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: October 26, 2012, 07:43:33 am »

People think "mis/over-diagnosed"* means that "no one has it, it's a myth" when all it means is that "it exists, but not everyone diagnosed with it actually has it".

*has there been a study on that or is it like an urban legend, "everyone knows it's true!" kind of thing?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: October 26, 2012, 08:55:53 am »

Not certain. My gut says that it's probably drawn from the whole "Doctors want more people to be sick because they make more money that way" and "Pharmaceutical companies want more people to be sick so they can sell more pills" thing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: October 26, 2012, 09:06:01 am »

Check if he's religious. Then have a detailed discussion about things not existing.

I'm pretty sure he's not religious.  He's mostly just...odd, like he doesn't seem to realize when people are mad at him, he's constantly decorating the suite with tacky stuff like a construction paper "carpet" that got ripped whenever anyone walked on it, and bringing "found" furniture like other people's discarded chairs back to the room.  I guess the best word for it would be impulsive, which isn't necessarily bad, except in this case where it is.  Its kind of ironic that a weird guy like him would be disbelieving of other people's mental quirks.

My thoughts on ADHD, my guess is its so over-diagnosed because of schools.  Some adults think "can't focus on schoolwork" means a kid has ADHD, when in reality there are a ton of other reasons kids might not be able to focus on school.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: October 26, 2012, 10:32:39 am »

That wasn't the question.

The question wasn't "Why is it so over-diagnosed?" it was "Is it ACTUALLY over-diagnosed or is that just what people SAY it is?"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: October 26, 2012, 10:47:28 am »

I dont think i really understand what ADHD is due to all the fuss around it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: October 26, 2012, 10:59:25 am »

From what I have seen through my work, lots of parents push for a ADHD diagnosis as then rightly or wrongly they have an excuse for thier childs "unnaceptable" actions, and access to medication that will calm thier child down. Unfortunatly this then means that genuine cases get looked at with the same scorn that not so real ones generate. It is too easy for a badly behaved kid to be misdiagnosed as an ADHD sufferer.
This is a blank sig.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: October 26, 2012, 11:29:43 am »

That wasn't the question.

The question wasn't "Why is it so over-diagnosed?" it was "Is it ACTUALLY over-diagnosed or is that just what people SAY it is?"

I'm fairly confident that ADHD doesn't effect 10% of the population (that's roughly how many American children the CDC says has been diagnosed with ADHD), although part of my argument revolves around the definition of a disorder.

To me, for it to count as a disorder, it would have to be intrinsic, AKA "your mind works this way" as opposed to "you act this way due to an external situation".  The thing is, ADHD appears to be tied to location.  Within the US, it becomes more common towards the east coast:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Prevalence of ADHD also appears to be tied to time, aka less adults appear to have ADHD than kids.  And it seems to be a modern thing.  If you look at mental states in the past that were decently common but weren't understood, such clinical depression, addiction, or paranoia, they still showed up in stories of the time, just not named as disorders.  And those conditions (with the possible exception of addiction) affect way less than 10% of humans.  ADHD doesn't seem, to me, to have the presence in fiction across the ages that it should if it affected 10% of the population.  Although, granted, ADHD can be dismissed as laziness or general distractedness, but way less than 10% of characters in fiction are portrayed as distractable/lazy people.

So while I would agree ADHD is real, evidence suggests to me there is an external situation that produces ADHD like symptoms in those that do not actually have ADHD.  Given that this situation appears to occur in a specific part of the US and mostly applies to school aged children, my conclusion is that kids who don't fit into the school system are incorrectly being diagnosed with ADHD.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: October 26, 2012, 01:22:16 pm »

Quote from: At work
customer: How would you like to be slapped in the face with a cold piece of cheese.
me: I don't think I'd like that very much...
customer: good, go tell the cooks that, and if they have any problems with it, tell them I'll be out here.

::)
a bit late, but:
http://notalwaysright.com/

EDIT: hurf durf.

I never noticed someone had mentioned it.
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned before.
At least in the rage/wtf/happy threads.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: October 26, 2012, 01:24:18 pm »

My father insists that gay rights is an economic issue.
What. How, if at all, does he try to justify that? I need some comedy tonight.

Supposedly gay marriage will make his taxes higher.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2399 on: October 26, 2012, 01:25:52 pm »

Yep, we need the extra money to buy assless rindstone tuxedo pants for the ceremonies.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 510