Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002179 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2715 on: November 05, 2012, 11:27:24 am »

I dunno, I think there should be a category for that kind of people that's different from atheism and agnosticism.

Actually no, I don't want to be labeled.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2716 on: November 05, 2012, 11:34:42 am »

On a more serious note, I find that atheism is the least caring. If your mind never even comes close to the subject of religion then I'd say you're an atheist.

No, that would be agnostic. Disbelief implies that you necessarily must have thought about it at least a little bit, whereas one who has never thought about it at all would default to agnosticism.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2717 on: November 05, 2012, 11:46:41 am »

On a more serious note, I find that atheism is the least caring. If your mind never even comes close to the subject of religion then I'd say you're an atheist.

No, that would be agnostic. Disbelief implies that you necessarily must have thought about it at least a little bit, whereas one who has never thought about it at all would default to agnosticism.
So... if I understand this...(which I probably don't...) if someone talks about religion around you and your mind idly thinks of said religion...  you are no longer agnostic?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2718 on: November 05, 2012, 11:48:58 am »

Nah, it's if you've considered the religion, and decided you don't believe it; you're an atheist. You need to make the conscious decision to think "This is BS" basically. That's my understanding of what he's saying anyway.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2719 on: November 05, 2012, 11:50:14 am »

Yeah. If you either go "Meh, who cares" or "Interesting idea, but who can tell if it's true?", then you also count as agnostic.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2720 on: November 05, 2012, 11:56:35 am »

I disagree. I think agnosticism requires you to have thought about it a bit. If someone has never heard of dragons, we don't say "Ha, that guy thinks dragons might exist since he's never consciously rejected the idea." Atheism can either be from rejection or the blank slate.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2721 on: November 05, 2012, 12:00:39 pm »

And that's why labels are stupid. An utter lack of universal definitions.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2722 on: November 05, 2012, 12:04:06 pm »

I disagree. I think agnosticism requires you to have thought about it a bit. If someone has never heard of dragons, we don't say "Ha, that guy thinks dragons might exist since he's never consciously rejected the idea." Atheism can either be from rejection or the blank slate.
I think we should have different labels for the "rejection" and "blank slate" atheists.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2723 on: November 05, 2012, 12:06:18 pm »

I believe in dragons. That is all.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2724 on: November 05, 2012, 12:07:18 pm »

I think we should have different labels for the "rejection" and "blank slate" atheists.
But if we do that then the "Meh"-gnostics will get labeled next! Nooooo!
I believe in dragons. That is all.
Comodo dragons, fuck yeah!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2725 on: November 05, 2012, 12:09:05 pm »

Komodo dragons are big ugly lizards. I mean real dragons, firebreathing, winged beasts of myth and legend. Also note I said I believe in them. Not I believe they are real. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: November 05, 2012, 12:11:10 pm »

Why? Lack of belief is lack of belief. I wasn't raised religiously so I never rejected a religion, but I have the same views as my friends who did.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: November 05, 2012, 12:12:14 pm »

Why Christianity didn't pull a roman and take all the badass bits of Greek mythology baffles me. I mean, come on. I would have actually gone to church if we were being preached to about Hercules and the Illiad.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:14:35 pm by Novel »
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: November 05, 2012, 12:14:13 pm »

Why? Lack of belief is lack of belief.
That would lump both atheists and agnostics together. What differentiates the two is that the former outright defies any theistic belief.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: November 05, 2012, 12:14:46 pm »

I consider myself an atheist, as in I actively disbelieve in anything supernatural. As in I believe if something were to exist, were to  make an impact on reality even if it were to exist outside our universe, it would fall out of religion and into science. Out of the supernatural and into the natural, because we could measure it, test it, and harness it.

But if somehow (a) god(s) were proven tomorrow, if something supernatural were to be proven tomorrow, I'd say "Sure, I believe in him."

I just wouldn't worship him. Guy would have to be a world-class asshole, considering the world as it is. I might even contemplate finding a lawyer to file a class-action lawsuit against him. Why, with all the deaths and disasters pinned on "Act of God" already, that alone would be a cinch.

... I wonder, if capital-g God exists, that might mean Hell exists. Which means we might be able to get there, and rescue all the people there. Which would pretty much make everything humans have ever done worth having been done.

And it would be just -fascinating!- to watch science unravel him into an explained phenomenon, including how all the stuff we know now as godless phenomenon would be explained with god(s) in the picture.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:16:51 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 510