Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004510 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #2760 on: November 05, 2012, 02:15:23 pm »

So you worship Athor?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: November 05, 2012, 02:22:09 pm »

Nah, I believe life is a series of chemical interactions. Awesome chemical interactions. It is also my 'belief' should you call it that, that to believe we are oh so special as to warrant having our own special god that looks like us and made us in his image, is incredibly arrogant. There's what, millions of species of creature on earth? Yet we're somehow so much more special because we use tools? Nah, I'm not buying that.

Just looking at that hubble deep space view with the thirteen some thousand GALAXIES proves to me that we are not unique, we are not special, and we are just a neato little chemical fluke.

But that's just me, I don't really care what anyone else believes, if it makes them happy and they don't turn into frothing idiotic ragemonsters when someone says, "No, I believe otherwise."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: November 05, 2012, 02:27:23 pm »

Mostly because the sentence I believe God does/ does not exist can be (mis)interpreted in so many ways.

You can mess with the meaning of just about every word in that sentence.

For example, what we have up there is a rejection of something which leans towards the evangilistical view of God.

Taking me as example, the following 3 sentences apply , without paradox.

I believe in God.
I know God (probably, we're not counting one in a few billion chances here) doesn't exist.
I believe that God exists.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: November 05, 2012, 03:29:00 pm »

On a more serious note, I find that atheism is the least caring. If your mind never even comes close to the subject of religion then I'd say you're an atheist.

No, that would be agnostic. Disbelief implies that you necessarily must have thought about it at least a little bit, whereas one who has never thought about it at all would default to agnosticism.

I disagree. I think agnosticism requires you to have thought about it a bit. If someone has never heard of dragons, we don't say "Ha, that guy thinks dragons might exist since he's never consciously rejected the idea." Atheism can either be from rejection or the blank slate.

A person who has never heard of dragons would be unable to affirm or deny their existence. Similarly a person who had never heard of deities could neither affirm or deny their existence.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: November 05, 2012, 03:37:23 pm »

Oh, and I also think that believing in something that you know to be untrue, or that there is no evidence favouring it over anything else, is not a virtue but a failing. The so-called Faith Virtue? It just seems like a definition of insanity to me.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: November 05, 2012, 03:42:55 pm »

Oh, and I also think that believing in something that you know to be untrue, or that there is no evidence favouring it over anything else, is not a virtue but a failing. The so-called Faith Virtue? It just seems like a definition of insanity to me.
It's just messing with defenitions. Christianity* doesn't proclaim that God physically exists, but that doesn't prevent you from believing in it.

Hell, ideals don't exist either, and probably won't ever, and there are lots of people believing in those.

*Certain flavour, not talking for everyone

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: November 05, 2012, 05:00:55 pm »

Do I exist? Can you prove it? Sure, the Computer says I exist, but you're taking that as fact. I could be a intelliegent AI, and there is absolutely nothing you can say or do to prove otherwise. You take what you've learned from science as fact, as you deride others for, do you knowfor a fact that omeone went out and proved all those things? How do you know Einstein ever even existed? No, you take it on the word of your teacher. Whos to say he knows? You take millions of things on faith everyday, yet you choose to deride others for doing the same.

And on the Believing something you know to be untrue, that's doublethink, the other is not equivalent. Choosin something for no reason is not the same as choosing it against evidence. Is the fact that you, say, like the color blue, while others like red a personal failing? How about sexual preference? Most people re heterosexual, does that make you wrong? No.

Sorry, be more sensitive with your comments in the future.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: November 05, 2012, 05:04:39 pm »

But at least you don't exclusively talk to people who are schizophrenic.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: November 05, 2012, 05:07:03 pm »

I don't understand this sentense. To whom are you speaking to?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: November 05, 2012, 05:08:58 pm »

Fixed version, sort of, is below...

Do I exist? Can you prove it? Sure, the Computer says I exist, but you're taking that as fact. I could be a intelliegent AI, and there is absolutely nothing you can say or do to prove otherwise.

(as opposed to God, that is. Anybody who claims that God has spoken to them or otherwise communicated with them is a safe bet as being either a schizophrenic or an acid head. Whereas we've all corresponded with you on this messageboard)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:11:55 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2770 on: November 05, 2012, 05:16:50 pm »

What did i do.
Did i really spark a 4-page-long religious debate by mentioning that pagans are awesome?

Imagine what would have happened if you went in depth about how awesome pagans are. There would have been world wide war.
Debatable. One might argue that myself arguing for the practicality of PAGAAANS was the better catalyst, because it had more Pagans in it.

Also Pagan sans.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: November 05, 2012, 05:19:03 pm »

Fixed version, sort of, is below...

Do I exist? Can you prove it? Sure, the Computer says I exist, but you're taking that as fact. I could be a intelliegent AI, and there is absolutely nothing you can say or do to prove otherwise.

(as opposed to God, that is. Anybody who claims that God has spoken to them or otherwise communicated with them is a safe bet as being either a schizophrenic or an acid head. Whereas we've all corresponded with you on this messageboard)
Well, my point is that you guys take it on faith i am who I say I am, when I could well be Loud Whispers alternate account (I'm not).

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: November 05, 2012, 05:20:33 pm »

What did i do.
Did i really spark a 4-page-long religious debate by mentioning that pagans are awesome?

Imagine what would have happened if you went in depth about how awesome pagans are. There would have been world wide war.
Debatable. One might argue that myself arguing for the practicality of PAGAAANS was the better catalyst, because it had more Pagans in it.

Also Pagan sans.
Genghis Sans beats Pagan Sans.
What about Kublai Sans?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2773 on: November 05, 2012, 05:25:17 pm »

Well, my point is that you guys take it on faith I am who I say I am, when I could well be Loud Whispers alternate account (I am).
THE TRUTH HAS BEEN REVEALED

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2774 on: November 05, 2012, 05:29:49 pm »

Didn't we do this joke already?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.