Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1002262 times)

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6300 on: September 10, 2013, 09:49:50 am »

Am I the only one who feel legitimately offended when people use "trigger warnings" for stupid shit like politics? What about the people who legitimately can't get through their daily lives without having a PTSD attack because something looks like a wire coming out of an IED? What about the people who curl up into a ball for hours on end when they see a grenade? What about the soldiers who legitimately never moved past the war and are now suffering through life because of it? Don't you think it's belittling to soldiers to say that being a little upset over someone mentioning taxes has the same mental disorder?

I heard a discussion on radio years and years ago. It was about how PSTD has become less and less life-changingly significant over time. I don't remember all of the specifics, but for instance on of the things it used to be called was Shell Shock, which conveys without extra medicalspeak that "This person is fucked up." Tumblr-ization of PTSD is just the next step.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: September 10, 2013, 09:54:17 am »

Soldiers aren't the only people who can get PTSD. Child abuse victims, rape victims, murder witnesses (esp. if the murdered victim was close to the witness, socially I mean). Things like that, though I'm sure there are special cases for pretty much anything.

Just making sure you're not ignoring all the -other- people who are being belittled and forgotten. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: September 10, 2013, 10:19:54 am »

No, definitely not forgetting them. It's just easiest to make the case with soldiers. I have no idea what actually will trigger those various versions of PTSD. I'm good friends with a few veterans who have PTSD, they have attacks all the time, so I have personally seen the effects of actual PTSD.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: September 10, 2013, 10:44:20 am »

I just think the terminology is stupid.  Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  Why is it a "disorder"?  That would seem to indicate that what the person is going through is unnatural.  Logically speaking, if someone experiences something "traumatic" (like rape, attempted murder, abuse, etc.) I would think that a very natural reaction to that would be (to put it mildly) "stress". 

What kind of person do you have to be to say to yourself "oh, this person who was in a war and shot at and nearly killed several times panics and gets very nervous around the sound of gunfire.  They must have a disorder." 

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: September 10, 2013, 10:49:49 am »

Soldiers aren't the only people who can get PTSD. Child abuse victims, rape victims, murder witnesses (esp. if the murdered victim was close to the witness, socially I mean). Things like that, though I'm sure there are special cases for pretty much anything.

Just making sure you're not ignoring all the -other- people who are being belittled and forgotten. :P

Murderers can also develop PTSD. Generally though people in the business don't talk about PTSD anymore, they just call it "trauma".

I think it's also incorrect to assume that soldiers who suffer from "PTSD" were traumatised by things happening around them, they could just as easily have committed an act of terrible cruelty or brutality themselves.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 10:51:37 am by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: September 10, 2013, 11:00:40 am »

I just think the terminology is stupid.  Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  Why is it a "disorder"?  That would seem to indicate that what the person is going through is unnatural.  Logically speaking, if someone experiences something "traumatic" (like rape, attempted murder, abuse, etc.) I would think that a very natural reaction to that would be (to put it mildly) "stress". 

What kind of person do you have to be to say to yourself "oh, this person who was in a war and shot at and nearly killed several times panics and gets very nervous around the sound of gunfire.  They must have a disorder." 
It's not quite that simple, Shakerag. Most of the time, traumatic experiences do not result in PTSD. PTSD is primarily characterized by mentally reexperiencing the traumatic event and avoidant behavior regarding the event and anything connected to it (sometimes up to and including amnesia of the event). I've heard it described as the brain getting "stuck" on a traumatic event and not being able to fully process it.

So it wouldn't be "nervous around gunfire", it would be "has a panic attack when someone talks about firearms".

As for it being unnatural, mental illness is no more natural or unnatural than physical illness.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: September 10, 2013, 11:31:26 am »

People can also get PTSD just from experiencing highly elevated amounts of stress for extended periods of time. Like you would from being in a warzone, for example.
Love, scriver~

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: September 10, 2013, 12:55:07 pm »

My friend accidentally misspelled angel with angle, while talking about a baby. It was quite funny.
Must've been acute baby.
Don't be obtuse, Soli. It was simply a misunderstanding, right?
Right, lets stop making such terrible puns.
I think at this point it's become a reflex.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: September 10, 2013, 01:39:38 pm »

I was dissapointed that that sentence didn't have a pun, Grak.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: September 10, 2013, 01:40:08 pm »

Am I the only one who feel legitimately offended when people use "trigger warnings" for stupid shit like politics? What about the people who legitimately can't get through their daily lives without having a PTSD attack because something looks like a wire coming out of an IED? What about the people who curl up into a ball for hours on end when they see a grenade? What about the soldiers who legitimately never moved past the war and are now suffering through life because of it? Don't you think it's belittling to soldiers to say that being a little upset over someone mentioning taxes has the same mental disorder?

I heard a discussion on radio years and years ago. It was about how PSTD has become less and less life-changingly significant over time. I don't remember all of the specifics, but for instance on of the things it used to be called was Shell Shock, which conveys without extra medicalspeak that "This person is fucked up." Tumblr-ization of PTSD is just the next step.
You're not the only one. Besides food poisoning, none of the things in that post that I found sound like actually triggering things.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: September 10, 2013, 01:44:07 pm »

It does. And my reaction to it was 'Oh there's no pun hooray a sensi-GAK'.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: September 10, 2013, 02:25:32 pm »

I'll point it out:
Reflex. A reflex angle. One that is greater than 180 degrees.
That's right.

What do you call an Englishman with severe hypothermia?

A 90-degree Angle! Hardy har har!
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: September 10, 2013, 02:40:54 pm »

That doesn't work though because most of the time English people use Celsius. At least, these days they do.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: September 10, 2013, 02:47:06 pm »

I like using Celcius for outdoor/indoor temperature... and Fariehnheit for body temperature.

Why the difference? Because 100 means you are sick.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: September 10, 2013, 02:51:45 pm »

You can try the same with Celsius though. 40 means you're sick. Though by that point there might be some other symptoms.
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 510