Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 1004139 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #6315 on: September 10, 2013, 02:51:59 pm »

100 also means that you're unhealthy if you're using celsius.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6316 on: September 10, 2013, 02:52:36 pm »

No... 100 means you are dead if you are using Celsius.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6317 on: September 10, 2013, 02:53:17 pm »

Not really. Most bodies tend to be cold. At 100 you're probably on fire.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6318 on: September 10, 2013, 02:53:59 pm »

You're not necessarily dead... yet. Dying, sure, but not quite there.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6319 on: September 10, 2013, 02:54:30 pm »

You're not necessarily dead... yet. Dying, sure, but not quite there.

Your internal temperature is 100... We aren't talking about your skin.

This means your blood is boiling.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6320 on: September 10, 2013, 02:55:22 pm »

Doesn't "on fire" fall under "unhealthy"?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6321 on: September 10, 2013, 02:58:35 pm »

I like using Celcius for outdoor/indoor temperature... and Fariehnheit for body temperature.

Why the difference? Because 100 means you are sick.
Mostly. 99 is a little sketchy, but still relatively fine. 100 degrees is, unpleasant, but you could still just be over-heating . 101 degrees is absolutely fever. 102 is "take medication" level. 103 is a indicator of a serious fever, and 104 is exactly the point where urgent medical attention is required. 105 is heat stroke territory. 106 is permanent brain damage (this can occur at 105 as well).

An easy threat indicator!

NINJAEDIT: 7 replies?!?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6322 on: September 10, 2013, 02:59:46 pm »

I don't know your circumstances in any detail. Couldn't you leave early and stay somewhere else, even if it's just some cheap room?

I'm on the west coast, so no.  It's almost impossible to find any sort of housing.  Also, I don't exactly have very much money.  I'm just barely starting out.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:27:59 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6323 on: September 10, 2013, 03:07:49 pm »

There's also certain kinds of trauma that don't really involve any kind of violence. Kids can be traumatised by their parents abandoning them, or if the parents make them feel abandoned.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6324 on: September 10, 2013, 03:12:43 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:27:45 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6325 on: September 10, 2013, 03:19:13 pm »

I heard a discussion on radio years and years ago. It was about how PSTD has become less and less life-changingly significant over time. I don't remember all of the specifics, but for instance on of the things it used to be called was Shell Shock, which conveys without extra medicalspeak that "This person is fucked up." Tumblr-ization of PTSD is just the next step.

Just reminds me of Carlin's wise words

Quote from:  George Carlin
There's a condition in combat. Most people know about it. It's when a fighting person's nervous system has been stressed to it's absolute peak and maximum. Can't take anymore input. The nervous system has either (click) snapped or is about to snap.

In the first world war, that condition was called shell shock. Simple, honest, direct language. Two syllables, shell shock. Almost sounds like the guns themselves.

That was seventy years ago. Then a whole generation went by and the second world war came along and very same combat condition was called battle fatigue. Four syllables now. Takes a little longer to say. Doesn't seem to hurt as much. Fatigue is a nicer word than shock. Shell shock! Battle fatigue.

Then we had the war in Korea, 1950. Madison avenue was riding high by that time, and the very same combat condition was called operational exhaustion. Hey, we're up to eight syllables now! And the humanity has been squeezed completely out of the phrase. It's totally sterile now. Operational exhaustion. Sounds like something that might happen to your car.

Then of course, came the war in Viet Nam, which has only been over for about sixteen or seventeen years, and thanks to the lies and deceits surrounding that war, I guess it's no surprise that the very same condition was called post-traumatic stress disorder. Still eight syllables, but we've added a hyphen! And the pain is completely buried under jargon. Post-traumatic stress disorder.

I'll bet you if we'd of still been calling it shell shock, some of those Viet Nam veterans might have gotten the attention they needed at the time. I'll betcha. I'll betcha.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6326 on: September 10, 2013, 03:21:00 pm »

-snip-
Vector:  The Baskin-Robbins of trauma.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6327 on: September 10, 2013, 03:23:00 pm »

-snip-
Vector:  The Baskin-Robbins of trauma.

If you hate me, that's fine, but treat me with respect while you're at it.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6328 on: September 10, 2013, 03:23:29 pm »

I didn't agree with Carlin on that, I'm not sure if "shell shocked" is the right way to describe how people who are traumatised through non-military situations. I just say trauma/traumatised, PTSD if I'm trying to be medical but that's rare. I find that the word "trauma" has all the connotations you really need.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6329 on: September 10, 2013, 03:25:30 pm »

I didn't agree with Carlin on that, I'm not sure if "shell shocked" is the right way to describe how people who are traumatised through non-military situations. I just say trauma/traumatised, PTSD if I'm trying to be medical but that's rare. I find that the word "trauma" has all the connotations you really need.

Well I'd use Shell Shocked if the person had the classic symptoms of someone who was shell shocked... Like losing connection to reality once they have been triggered.
Pages: 1 ... 420 421 [422] 423 424 ... 510